Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your own personal Vattings

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Your own personal Vattings

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:34 pm

Have you mixed a selection of malts?
How did they taste?

Why not let us all know what you have mixed and whether it 'worked', being drinkable or just a nasty cocktail of whisky.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:38 pm

I have just made a small vatting of three drams:
Bruichladdich 20y/o Edition 3 "Islands"
Auchentoshan 3 Wood
Arran Trebbiano D'Abruzzo

Roughly in a ratio of 40% 'Laddie, 40% Auchentoshan, 20% Arran.

The result is ....... surprising, but really quite drinkable.

It exhibits the sherry of the Auchentoshan and the fruitiness is very dark as the Auchentoshan once again slightly prevails over the passion fruit of the 'laddie, but there is still some 'laddie character and certainly much of the 'laddie smoothness, but it's all slapped in the face by the dryness and white wine influence of the Arran Trebbiano.
I think if the Arran percentage was reduced just a little, this could be very marketable.

Compass box & JMR please take note!
8)
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Mustardhead » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:42 pm

My first experiment was in early January :)

2 part Glen Moray Chardonnay Finish
2 parts Glenfarclas 105
2 parts Highland Park Battlehill
1 part Laphroaig Cask Strength

I discovered the open litre bottle of Glen Moray and it has never been especially interesting, so I am using it for experiments :) The Glenfarclas 105 is just undrinkable so I needed to find something to use it for. The Highland Park is dull, the Laphroaig was a sacrifice to give the vatting a bit of bite.

It works! The ABV is about 48% which is about right, the sherry of the Glenfarclas and the peat of the Laphroaig seem to complement each other and the other seem to work as cheap blending fodder. The vatting is better than any of the three main components :)
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Choochoo » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:47 pm

I threw some leftovers together recently. It was made up of near empty bottles of Clynelish, Macallan, Glenfarclas, Aberlour, Caol Ila, and Springbank.

I had a glass last night, it has a lot of flavors going on in it. I really expected very little from it, so with such low expectations, it was surprisingly acceptable.

At some point I'd be interested it trying a more thoughtful approach to a vatting than this experiance though.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:12 pm

I like to mix Clynelish/Brora and Ardbeg. My favorite combination is Brora 21yo with Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist. It's really good. I can taste every element of both malts.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:56 am

Wow! Peergynt, I wouldn't dream of vatting such limited edition malts!

I had a macallan CS airport standard that had all the trademark Macsherry, but lacked something on the finish, and perhaps in complexity. i added one part of Ardbeg 10(which is "only" 46%, @ 10% less than the Mac) to two parts Mac...bingo! all the sherry of the mac with a nice smoky finish!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:03 am

I've only "vatted" two drams worth. I truly enjoy each of them alone. I just wondered if I could create a monster so to speak.

I was inspired by "Peatmonster." I wondered if the concept would taste any better with more premium stuff. Plus I think Brora and Ardbeg have that lively acidity that is so tasty.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:34 pm

Never been priveleged to try the legendary Brora, but have had several Ardbegs. Got four on the go at the moment, including a last drop of '77, which I daren't finish, and a "lick" of the Beast...

The '77 wins by a fire-breathing nose...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby toshie » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:16 pm

Did the blending course at Glengoyne Distillery in December and came up with a concoction of North British and Invergordon on a 30/70 basis, then added Glengoyne, Lowland, Highland and Speyside in equal proportions, with a healthier slug of Islay. Result was... interesting, A fair bit of Islay but rather too sweet due to the enthusiastic overuse of grain. I'll know better next time. Incidentally, I would thoroughly recommend that course; it's a real eye-opener and a fantastic day out
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:28 pm

there was a similar topic a while back. Oh what fun we had naming these hybrids!

so far on this we have a Glenmorclas Battlehill, a Maclynelas Abilabank, a plain old Brobeg(or Ardbora? ) and an Ardallan (or is it Macbeg??)

There's a lass works behind the bar at our local where i often stop for a dram in the middle of a long sunday afternoon ramble, who used to work at Talisker, and told me a lot of people from her part of the world like mixing Macallan and Laphroaig. they call it "Macfrog".

So I ordered one. 50/50 mix. They seemed to cancel each other out. Gimme an Ardallan anyday...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:50 pm

Does that make my vatting an "Auch Arr Laddie"?
:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:41 am

I did mix some Mackmyra, (Swedish), cask samples I had left from a tasting. They weren't fully matured to the legal 3 year rule they abide by, so I guess my outcome doesn't qualify as whisky. But nevertheless, it did turn out quite nice, vatting mostly their elegant sherry with smoky bourbon. It improved after about a month of marriage, and is real nice, I even enjoyed one tonight!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:22 pm

MT:"Does that make my vatting an "Auch Arr Laddie"? "

Auch aye Laddie!

Love it...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:28 pm

I have thought about mixing a cocktail of something like 2 parts Glen Moray with 8 parts Islay peaty whisky. I think it should be called
SERENDIPITHINGY.
:wink:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:28 pm

May I introduce to you; "SlyrPenDarker"

Take 6 parts Slyrs Bavarian Malt, which, you may remember, has the ignominious pleasure of nosing and tasting like "Rubber Wellies" (yes, really, as per my previous tasting notes on this malt). Add to this, 2 parts Penderyn (he who shall encompass a taste of Juniper and Gin-like qualities), then add a further 2 parts Bowmore darkest to add a little sherry, colour and smoothness.

The result is SlyrPenDarker.
A most pleasing dram with a faint nose of Schwarzwald Schinken (Fresh Black Forest ham) with a very light juniper crust.
The flavour is one of juniper berries, raisins and other dark fruits with just a delightful hint of smoke, as in the Black Forest ham type.
The aftertaste is sweet honey and just a little marzipan.

Oh my goodness, Black Foresst ham with marzipan aftertaste.
This is pretty dram good stuff.
But quite unusual and NOT a hint of rubber wellies anywhere!
MT

There you go Jan, fit that one into the forum tasting notes if you can!
:P
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Sounds like a real Slyrp!

This has got me going. I'm off out, but i might have a little vatting session when i get home.

Thinks. i got a Talisker 10 that needs finishing, and a drop of |Macallan CS

Anyone for a Macallisker?

...or maybe mix it with a drop of Oban, for a TALIBAN!

keep it quiet. Don't want the anti-terrorist police banging down my door...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:08 pm

Yikes! I don't know if your vattings are any good, but you definitely have an ear for the names!
Deactivated Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:17 pm

Tonight I'm vatting some Longmorn and Linkwood. What would you call that one RB? :wink:
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:20 pm

I'll take 2 bottles. You better start contacting the distilleries about getting it in bulk, I think you have the newest whisky craze.

Ha ha
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:37 pm

This was in response to the "SlyrPenDarker"
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:02 am

Peergynt my man! So yous got a Longwood!

the wimmins must love you!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:04 am

...and if it's a 15 you boastin', they mus' be linin' up outside yo' gate!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:15 am

Wow, talk about this thread going south fast. LOL

Ha Ha

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:27 am

Excuse me hogging it with 3 postings in a row folks, but true to my word I HAVE actually just vatted approx 1 part Mac CS (near the bottom of the bottle) with 4/5 parts Talisker ( also near the bottom.)

I have it here...

Interesting. the nose has more oak than straight Talisker.. i sipped the neat Tali first. Lovely, tho' it may have gotten slightly sweeter being so near the bottom of the bottle.

Strangely the Mac seems to counteract this sweetness, tho' its richness and sheeryness is there, particularly after the first few seconds. overall, it lends creaminess to the Talisker. also a fiery maltiness, restoring a touch of the weakened Talisker "volcanicity".

A slight gingery note late palette is interesting...adds another dimension to the Tallisker profile.

Overall,The smoke of the Talisker predominates at the finish, but i already expressed misgivings on thw Mac's finish.

a worthwhile,enjoyable experience.

wonder what it would taste like if i left it a week?

Oh, BTW, quite different to the Talisker DE, which is much more 'winey'.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Re: Your own personal Vattings

Postby Bulkington » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:54 pm

Last night I tried (roughly) three parts Ardbeg 10 with one part a'bunad (given the strength). Surprisingly nice. Just a light touch of sherry to the standard Ardbeg profile. Not at all heavy like the Uigeadail.

-b
Bulkington
Silver Member

Re: Your own personal Vattings

Postby IainB » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:26 am

I've been trying to mix 80% various Cooley malts with 20% Cooley Grain to come up with a Cooley equivalent of Black Bush. The results have been somewhat disappointing. That said I have a new sherry cask tyrconnell which might do the trick.

I'll never make a real blender.
IainB
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder