Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cask offer

General chat and talk about whisky.

Cask offer

Postby r900p » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:35 pm

I'm currently looking for a cask and thus have enquired to a couple of distilleries. However i got this reply from one,

'We do have casks available and attached is an application form. Please complete the form and email this back and transfer £1095 to our bank account. Once payment has been received we will fill a cask for you within 5-6 weeks'.

This is all i received in the email no hi, or thank you for enquiring about cask offers, it doesn't fill me with desire to want a cask from them, the demand must be so high they can forget the pleasantries.

Anyone got any views on this, i just feel as though they are solely in it for profit, and couldn't care less whether they sell another cask or not.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:58 pm

who was it from?

the only ones i found that would sell me casks were bruichladdich, bladnoch and isle of arran. and i think kilhoman are now selling them also.

anyone know of any other distilleries selling casks, or private folk selling casks?
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:03 am

Vitara 7,

I know of one individual looking to sell a hogshead of Macallan now at 14yo and a hogshead of Tullibardine which I think is at 11yo.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:11 am

interesting, please message me more info on them.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:11 am

The top post looks like Kilchoman ;)
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Re: Cask offer

Postby Lawrence » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:15 am

r900p wrote:I'm currently looking for a cask and thus have enquired to a couple of distilleries. However i got this reply from one,

'We do have casks available and attached is an application form. Please complete the form and email this back and transfer £1095 to our bank account. Once payment has been received we will fill a cask for you within 5-6 weeks'.

This is all i received in the email no hi, or thank you for enquiring about cask offers, it doesn't fill me with desire to want a cask from them, the demand must be so high they can forget the pleasantries.

Anyone got any views on this, i just feel as though they are solely in it for profit, and couldn't care less whether they sell another cask or not.

Rob

Sounds like the email I received from Kilchoman, we bought a cask. Bruichladdich have some limited amounts of casks for sale each year along with Tullibardine and Isle of Arran.

They are all in the business of selling whisky for a profit.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:25 am

Mackmyra, (Sweden), sells casks, 30 liter ones, reasonably too, and with a variety of "elegant" or "smoky" style, and the possibility to age in Swedish Oak, Sherry, or Bourbon.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:31 am

Wait a minute you want to buy a whole cask of scotch? lol are you having a party or is it all for yourself?
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:08 am

Elagabalus wrote:Wait a minute you want to buy a whole cask of scotch? lol are you having a party or is it all for yourself?

Yes, exactly, but in 10 years..... seriously, lots of people buy casks and even more common is for groups of people to 'band' together to purchase a cask. I've done this 4 times now. Many others on the forum have done the same thing.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:12 am

Makes your standard frat-house keg party look like a bunch of amateurs.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:21 am

Seriously Mr. T, shouldn't you be in bed at this late hour?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:33 am

Yes...but I've been on west coast time since Victoria. So it's your fault.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:36 am

It must be true, I've been keeping much the same hours! :shock:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby les taylor » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:27 am

Lawrence wrote:-

Seriously Mr. T, shouldn't you be in bed at this late hour?

I reckon all those west coast boys are in bed now. Its always interesting to have a look on the forums in the morning to see what has been written during the night.

:D
les taylor

Postby fishboy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:10 pm

I've bought shares in two casks (a Kilchoman with three friends and a Bruichladdich with my dad). I've viewed it as a bit of fun and certainly not as an investment. Yes bottling and taxes will be a killer but I've got ten years to save up my share and at the end of the day I should end up with some pretty decent bespoke whisky.

We will definately bottle all the Kilchoman, regardless of the cost. The volumes these guys are making will ensure that, by definition, it will be a limited product. Apart from that the new make was superb and the four month old cask sample I got when i visited last summer was out of this world (one of the guys in the group wanted to bottle it there and then!)

The Laddie is a bourbon cask and we have a bit more flexibility as to what we do at the end. We can decide whether to:
1. sell it all back to the distillery at the prevailing rate in 10 years time
2. sell 2/3 back to the distillery and the the remaining third bottled duty paid at no extra cost
3. Bottle it all and pay all the tax and bottlnig charges

Mainly - its good fun!

Let us know what you decide to do?
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:00 pm

I just received my five bottles of Arran from Ian Kendal's Cask Committee. It is a 1997 and very very pleasing.

The cask evapourated very quickly, so there weren't as many bottles yielded as they had hoped for. A bit of a risk, this business, but I'm sure worthwhile all the same.
Aidan

Postby fergusa » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi,

I own a cask of Bruichladdich with two of my friends. The chat I've had from them has not been brilliant in terms of them being forthcoming with info but I love their whisky and would recommend using them. They do two casks, one at £820 (Bourben) and one at around £1200 (sherry). These prices include 10yrs insurance and storage and a certificate, Ha!

I wouldn't transfer money after an email like that though. At leasy http://www.bruichladdich.com have a form to fill out and a some discussion on the process.

Fergy
fergusa

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:57 pm

WOw you must really enjoy scotch to buy casks of it. What's next WM members banding togerther to buy a distillery? :shock: :lol:
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby fishboy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:07 pm

Apparently we could get Bladnoch for £3 million (ish).......
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby fergusa » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:22 pm

Club together and buy a distillery eh? Not such a stupid idea...

...I run a manufacturing department now and dream of doing the same in the whisky industry...all we'd need would be some other key people...
fergusa

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:58 pm

fishboy wrote:Apparently we could get Bladnoch for £3 million (ish).......

Really? Or do you mean we could have...?

Yes, fergusa, some "key people" with a few million pounds burning a hole in their pockets....
Deactivated Member

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:42 pm

Ok I checked my pockets and I found a penny, a nickle, and a dead ant.

I've decided I will put the ant on ebay and try to sell it as an ant picked out of a piece of amber. So in actuality this isn't only an ant but a sacred ancient relic from the pre Alexander the Great era. Then I will concoct a story of an ancient bronze age civilization that used to worship ants as sacred to the Gods. I will put the ant under the "religious artifacts" heading as religious people don't usually look for facts. If I am asked any questions as to the authenticity of the artifact I will say that I am a member of a secret society which I disallows me from revealing any knowledge on pain of death.

I will open the bid at 50,000 USD. If this sells I will build an ant colony and in no time we can buy the distillery of our dreams.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:54 pm

as ive said previously, im prepared to shove some cash towards somthing like that if others were banding together, or even if a few folk were getting casks id club in.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:35 pm

Elagabalus wrote:Ok I checked my pockets and I found a penny, a nickle, and a dead ant.

I've decided I will put the ant on ebay and try to sell it as an ant picked out of a piece of amber. So in actuality this isn't only an ant but a sacred ancient relic from the pre Alexander the Great era.

It's a Pink Panther souvenir! Once belonged to Henry Mancini.

Dead ant...dead ant...dead ant dead ant dead ant....
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:10 pm

vitara7 wrote:as ive said previously, im prepared to shove some cash towards somthing like that if others were banding together, or even if a few folk were getting casks id club in.

I have mentioned several times about this idea and I will be incorporating it into my VIP Group, much like the SMWS...however the difference is any bottles left over after being allocated to members will be sold through my business and the profits put back into the group towards the next cask purchase. As the SMWS do both Bourbon and Scotch and other whiskies too, I will also have casks of wine available(Elagabalus, this might interest you :wink: )
If anyone is genuinely interested send me a direct email and I will send some details.

Also, but I don't want to let too much out the bag due to competition :x , I have plans to purchase distilleries and the VIP Group will benefit too.
Cheers!
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:15 pm

should have put, if there were folk in scotland looking to buy casks or put money into whisky then id be up for it.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:22 pm

Vitara are you a member of Ladybank??
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:25 pm

nope, for £3250 you get practically hee haw. all your getting from them for your money is a few hunderad litres in bond.

i did mail them ages ago about it you have to pay the bottling costs and the taxes etc on your 6 bottles each year, and to use the function suite costs as well.

there looking at running a company alongside the distillery that will own the distillery and the brand, im going to sink money into that side of it when it comes up.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:56 pm

Anybody in the US buy any casks and have them brought in, I'm guessing if it can be done in BC then then it should work in the US as well, correct me if I'm wrong but do you just have it bottled in the UK then just import it like you would any other bottle of whisky, only you just need to pay the taxes and import duties.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:16 am

Len the US is a lot different re: importing liquor. Are you familiar with the 3 tier system in the US?? Wholesaler => Distributer => Retailer and finally the consumer :? then there is the differences between all the states :? :?
You will also find that many distilleries won't retail to the US or Canada now, due to all the import restrictions.
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Elagabalus » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:59 am

TheLiquorBaron if you think the USA is bad you should try to get stuff brough into Canada. You have to drive an SUV through all the communists.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:54 am

Oh, yes Elagabalus, I understand Canada's problem too. Having liquor supplies controlled by politicians, now that's what I call fair trade :?

All I can say is...If a politician doesn't drink, smoke or otherwise know how to enjoy the 'luxuries' of life, then how can they possibly know what is good for the people...
Oh and ANY person with a comb-over, has absolutly no place in politics!!! :wink:
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby littledaniel » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:56 am

Hello,

This is my first post on this site. I too own part of a cask of Laddie which is currently 7 months old! My friends and I are not doing it as an investment but a kind of lasting friendship thing and also just to have fun!

We spent the best part of 3 years looking for a good cask offer and the Laddie was the best one although, like others their customer service left something to be desired! (I suppose that as long as they put all their effort into the whisky that isn't such a bad thing!)

Anyway, what I really wanted to mention was that a big barrier to buying a cask is the duty you have to pay to bottle the stuff at the end. I have found a petition on the downing street website to abolish the duty on whisky. We are all whisky lovers so the least we can do is sign up on there. Who knows, we could see a repeat of the recent road charging episode where the government is reconsidering after 1 million people signed a petition!!!

The website is: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Whisky/?ref=whisky

Thanks!
littledaniel

Postby r900p » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:24 am

Okay so we buy casks, chipping in to rescue a distillery doesn't sound all that bad, if Bruichladdicg can do it we can

There are 52 weeks in a year, there must be more than 52 members of whisky mag/forum, if we each worked a week, treat it as a holiday if you like i'm sure we'd keep things running. The expertise amongst some of you out there would be invaluable, business, accountants, IT, engineering.

Okay so its not that easy, but it would be interesting and i for one would love to run something i love, instead of paying for a holiday filling barrels at a distillery.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:30 am

A romantic idea...

But I'd prefer to be a consumer than a manufacturer, and feel free to take my custom to wherever the fancy takes me. Saving distilleries is not a high priority for me. Distilleries come and distilleries go. Always have done, always will. You need this process to keep standards high - survival of the fittest and all that. At the moment there are 80ish operational distilleries in Scotland, so the species is not under threat.
Deactivated Member

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder