Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ledaig old v new

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Ledaig

Ledaig old v new

Postby Scotchio » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:50 pm

I recently had the pleasure of trying a couple of Ledaigs from the early 70s. JM 18 and CC 73 both were superb incredibly soft and delicate but beautifully peated and coastal. Do none of the more recently produced ledaigs come anywhere near to the quality of these older bottlings? I'd like to get a full bottle but could do without laying out £100 on one of the older ones.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Ledaig aka Tobermory?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:34 am

Scotchio:
I have a 15 yo Ledaig (Blue Box) from 2004 that I've never opened. If I can beat down the number of opened bottles to a reasonable number, I may crack it open and give it a whirl.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Ledaig aka Tobermory?

Postby Wave » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:34 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Scotchio:
I have a 15 yo Ledaig (Blue Box) from 2004 that I've never opened. If I can beat down the number of opened bottles to a reasonable number, I may crack it open and give it a whirl.

Muskrat

Same here! :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Re: Ledaig aka Tobermory?

Postby Scotchio » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:28 am

Wave wrote:
Muskrat Portage wrote:Scotchio:

Muskrat

Same here! :lol:

Cheers!

Yes having done a little research that seems the best bet for recent bottlings. Go on lads crack it open and tell us what you reckon.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:41 am

Ledaig 15 yo is on my top ten list but I have to say that Ledaig 1972 vintage is higher on my top ten list.
But Ledaig 1972 is far more expensive and harder to come by.
Hm, Maybe I`ll have to have one tonight (Ledaig 15 yo that is. It isn`t long ago since I had ledaig 1972)
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Re: Ledaig old v new

Postby liquidlife » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:53 pm

new to the forums, but glad to be here!
i also have a bottle of the Ledaig 15yr (blue box) and haven't cracked it open yet. i've been trying to find some info on this bottling specifically, so i am glad to hear it getting positive comments.

i work in a liquor store and we've had the bottles for quite a few years. side bennie of my job: snagging rare bottles before the customers realize what they're missing.

kristyn :D
liquidlife

Postby corbuso » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:49 pm

For the ledaig, the golden age was indeed in the 1970s and then, the quality was not that good until the 1990s. Over the last 10 years, progress have been made and the most recent one have nicely improved.

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi there,

folks afaik the red box Ledaig 20 was the peaty one of old but itself only the shadow of the quality of the malt that was produced there after one of the many reopenings of the distillery in about 1970.

I read somewhere that the good stuff which some equal to same time Broras or Clynelishes was only made for 2 years and that about 1973 the peat level and quality changed,

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Alex S » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:40 pm

I just picked up a bottle (red box) of Ledaig 20 on my trip to Vegas at Lee's shop for $75 plus tax. Not sure if it was a good deal or not, but though it was rare enough to add to my collection. They had one more bottle left in the glass display.
Alex S

Postby corbuso » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:22 pm

kallaskander wrote:Hi there,

folks afaik the red box Ledaig 20 was the peaty one of old but itself only the shadow of the quality of the malt that was produced there after one of the many reopenings of the distillery in about 1970.

I read somewhere that the good stuff which some equal to same time Broras or Clynelishes was only made for 2 years and that about 1973 the peat level and quality changed,

Greetings
kallaskander

I had a bottle of Ledaig 20 years bottled in 1996 (should be probably whisky from 1974) and the peat was nicely present and highly drinkable. The peat level was lower than a Brora from that year however.
corbuso
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ledaig

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder