Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland Park

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Highland Park

Postby r900p » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:49 pm

I've just noticed that Highland Park in my local Waitrose is new packaging, are they all goinh like this?

Rob

Sorry if there is a thread i have looked but couldn't find one.
r900p
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1510
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:24 am
Location: Liverpool

Postby lbacha » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:55 pm

I saw this packaging at the Victoria WHisky Festival. I believe at least the 12 and 18 are going to be like that.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Postby Mustardhead » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:01 am

The oval-ish cardboard tubes? It looks like the 12, 15 and 18 are going to be in that packaging from now on. They look like the same tubes as Old Pulteney use.
Mustardhead
Gold Member
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Gloucestershire, UK

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:07 am

Its a bit like the england football team changing its shirts all the time. Their seems to be a lot of repackaing going on at the moment. What with Hp Bowmore and Jura to mention just three.

:)
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Postby vitara7 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:26 am

i also seen the 25yo in the new livery
vitara7
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:54 am
Location: central scotland

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:46 am

I'm quite sure there was some discussion of this somewhere. Might have been on WhiskyCast. If I remember right, the newly-packaged 12yo is uncolored (and the 18 always was). Presumably the new 16, also.
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Mustardhead » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:12 am

I just had to go and compare three bottles of HP12, the one in a round tube, one in a square box and the new flat one, There could be less colour in the new one or it could just be the flatter bottle making the whisky look paler....
Mustardhead
Gold Member
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Gloucestershire, UK

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:08 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I'm quite sure there was some discussion of this somewhere. Might have been on WhiskyCast. If I remember right, the newly-packaged 12yo is uncolored (and the 18 always was). Presumably the new 16, also.


I'm almost positive the old packaging of Highland Park 18y was colored. I'll have to take a closer look and make sure. But glad it isn't any longer!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:36 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
I'm almost positive the old packaging of Highland Park 18y was colored. I'll have to take a closer look and make sure. But glad it isn't any longer!



I would hazard a guess that all Packaging is coloured :wink: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I could not resist, I know what you mean though.
User avatar
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3644
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:34 pm

Ha ha irishwhiskeychaser! Good one! Gonna check the HP 18y later today and get back.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:25 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:I'm quite sure there was some discussion of this somewhere. Might have been on WhiskyCast. If I remember right, the newly-packaged 12yo is uncolored (and the 18 always was). Presumably the new 16, also.


I'm almost positive the old packaging of Highland Park 18y was colored. I'll have to take a closer look and make sure. But glad it isn't any longer!


No more puns about the packaging being coloured - but the old HP 18yo whisky was not coloured, got it, checked.
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:18 pm

M.R.J. wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:I'm quite sure there was some discussion of this somewhere. Might have been on WhiskyCast. If I remember right, the newly-packaged 12yo is uncolored (and the 18 always was). Presumably the new 16, also.


I'm almost positive the old packaging of Highland Park 18y was colored. I'll have to take a closer look and make sure. But glad it isn't any longer!


No more puns about the packaging being coloured - but the old HP 18yo whisky was not coloured, got it, checked.


My 18y mini clearly states, in German, color added. I heard the German market must be told when color is added to whisky. Is this so Malt-Teaser? Or anyone else out there in Germany know about this?? I also have seen the normal sized 18y with the German written "color added". In fact, when I read a few years back how highly Jim Murray rated it, I wanted to get it, and when I did I saw color was added, which turned me off quite a bit. Unfortunately, the stuff is so damn good, it stopped bothering me. But I am really happy the new formula doesn't add color.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:27 pm

And the old bottling of the 12y also clearly states, in German once again, with added color, E150 to be precise.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:21 am

Yup, my german edition 12yo says that too, colouring added.

But my 18yo x 2 both German state "ohne farbstoff" - without colouring.

The one I am talking about is the older (but certainly not the oldest) square box one, which was standard prior to the new style recently released.

My older wooden box 25yo also states clearly "ohne farbstoff".
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:52 am

And I'm pretty sure that's what I read somewhere around here, that the 18 and up were uncolored, and with the new packaging, they all would be. Di Blasi, maybe that policy only dates back a few years.
Deactivated Member
 

Postby MGillespie » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:05 am

OK...as T mentioned, there was some stuff about this on WhiskyCast back in November. The new packaging will affect all Highland Park releases from now on...and while the 12YO was the ONLY HP to contain caramel coloring...all 12YO in the new packaging no longer uses caramel. Hope this helps...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:17 pm
Location: New Jersey, United States

Re: Highland Park

Postby randall fairbrook » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:34 am

highland park specially selected and bottled for hi time wine cellars - distilled 1990 - bottled 2006 - aged in oak 15yrs - 52.7% - cask no. 10140


dark reddish sherry look

sweet light brown sugar nose, dark cherries, a bit of peat

big alcohol....a bit of rubber...corn silk...sweet in the cheeks..plum..honey..

a longish finish of peat...sweet....and strangely enough ends up as celery...wtf?

3 drops of water opens it up...sweet raisin....pineapple....cheerful peat...
randall fairbrook
Gold Member
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:05 pm
Location: orange county, california

Re: Highland Park

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:34 am

That sounds nice randall fairbrook! You're getting your hands on some :thumbsup: good stuff down there aren't you!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Highland Park

Postby randall fairbrook » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:51 am

yep!


if you want to trade samples i would be interested.....
randall fairbrook
Gold Member
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:05 pm
Location: orange county, california

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder