Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Buffalo Trace - Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Buffalo Trace - Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Postby pmullin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:37 am

I have only recently started taking my whisk(e)y a little more seriously, having been a sipper of Irish whiskey for a few years.

In my recent explorations I have found that I gravitate towards two quite different categories: Islay and island single malts; and bourbon. (Although I must confess that I have met few single malts that I dislike... I just tend to like the peaty and smoky stuff better :wink:)

With respect to bourbon, Woodford Reserve has been my favourite, but all the recent hoopla over Buffalo Trace led to to purchase a bottle recently. I must say that I was simply blown away :!:

Not only was it a great whiskey, it was one of the first where I could detect several of the flavours from the tasting notes - its all there! - the vanilla, licorice/aniseed, mint, oak. In most cases, my relatively untrained nose can only pick out one or two flavours/aromas, but this one was a real breakthrough for me.

This stuff really gets to the heart of the idea of "sipping whiskey".
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:37 am

Amazingly enough, that's the basic bourbon from Buffalo Trace. Wait until you try Eagle Rare and work your way up to the George T Stagg range...

Whatever they're doing, they should bottle that stuff and sell it...oh wait, they already do! ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:06 am

I've never had anything from Buffalo Trace that wasn't outstanding, and I can't wait until one of my American friends finds (and keeps) a bottle of George T. Stagg for me. If you haven't tried Elijah Craig 12 yet, do give it a chance. It is the one bourbon I feel I should have in my collection at all times because of its flavour and its price.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby pmullin » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:09 am

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to pick up some of the Eagle Rare or George T. Stagg next time I am in the US on business.

Although we have a decent selection of single malts here in New Brunswick (Canada), the bourbon situation is pretty grim: Jim Beam and Knob Creek (and JD of course, but I guess it's technically not a bourbon). Nothing wrong with them, but not exactly what you would call an overwhelming selection.

I actually picked up the Buffalo Trace while on a quick business trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia, at which time I also grabbed a bottle of Elijah Craig 18, which I have yet to crack open.

Maker's Mark is also on my "to buy" list, whenever I get the chance.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:35 am

It's interesting that Buffalo Trace can be had in Halifax -- because it can't be found in California, or about 40 of the other United States :? It's a great whiskey, but stocks have been slow to increase, and Buffalo Trace (the distillery) has been hesitant to spread its distribution without current stocks to 'cover' an area.
Fortunately, here in Tennessee, it's available in all sizes on virtually all shelves. It's one of the great values in American whiskey, I think. A very fine bourbon for an everyday price.
Deactivated Member

Buffalo Trace

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:27 am

TNbourbon wrote:It's interesting that Buffalo Trace can be had in Halifax -- because it can't be found in California, or about 40 of the other United States :? ....
TNB:
Really? 'cause I picked up a bottle at the local LC here in town in October and there's still plenty sitting on the shelves. So Ontario and Halifax have access to what our brothers to the south don't. :D (Sorry I had to grin)
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:47 am

If it matters, the population of Ontario is about 12,000,000, and Nova Scotia less than 1,000,000. Together, that's about the population of greater LA.
Deactivated Member

Don't you love stats, tats?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:21 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:If it matters, the population of Ontario is about 12,000,000, and Nova Scotia less than 1,000,000. Together, that's about the population of greater LA.
Bruce, Bruce, Bruce....
I beg to differ. Ontario's population is 12,687,000, and Nova Scotia's is 934,405
Great Los Angeles metropolitan area' has 12,923,547. So, we are actually, not about the size of, but, larger than Greater LA and certainly deserving of access to Buffalo Trace. :D (And our money looks better too! Especially the new 100's) :D
Muskrat
Did you know?
The population of Springfield is 152,082 and the population of Rat Portage is 15,838*, yet we have Buffalo Trace. *(Nearly doubles in summer with influx of tourists)
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:53 am

A quick check on the LC website reveals no Buffalo Trace here but a number of bottles of Eagle Rare.

An interesting side note: After typing in "Bourbon" there were a few anomolies on the list.

1. Clontarf Single malt :(
2. Glengoyne Scottish Oak Wood 16 yr old
3.Macallan Fine Oak 17 yr old

and the winner
Morrrison Bowmore Bourbon Cast Single Malt 1957
only $2700.00 a bottle
Shall we all chip in. :roll:
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Buffalo Trace

Postby heatmiser » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:32 am

Buffalo Trace and Van Winkle make some of the best bourbons I have ever had. Their line up is absolutely stunning!!!

From the low price point offerings like:

Buffalo Trace
Elmer T Lee
WL Weller 12
Eagle Rare 10

To their midpoint offerings like:

Rock Hill Farms
Blanton's
WL Weller Centenial
Van Winkle 12 Lot B

Up to their higher price offerings like:

William Larue Weller (BTAC)
George T Stagg (BTAC)
Eagel Rare 17 (BTAC)
Sazerac 18 (BTAC)
Thomas H Handy (BTAC)
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
Pappy Van Winkle 15 & 20

I mean every single one of these whiskey's are absolutely incredible!!!
heatmiser

Gone, all gone

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:13 am

Quaichuser wrote:A quick check on the LC website reveals no Buffalo Trace here but a number of bottles of Eagle Rare...
Quaichuser:
I checked the local LC today and there's no Buffalo Trace left, none on the website, yet there was plenty in October, enough that it should have lasted through until now. The only US bourbon of any sort was JD :x very little "foreign"* whisky at all, although there are some Irish whiskies for St Patricks' Day. :mrgreen:
I'll have to check in Manitoba next month...
Muskrat
*(Foreign = not from Scotland)
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Gone, all gone

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:27 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:...The only US bourbon of any sort was JD...

sigh Not a bourbon...
Deactivated Member

Re: Don't you love stats, tats?

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:10 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Ontario's population is 12,687,000, and Nova Scotia's is 934,405
Great Los Angeles metropolitan area' has 12,923,547. So, we are actually, not about the size of, but, larger than Greater LA and certainly deserving of access to Buffalo Trace.

But the population of California is greater than the population of all of Canada. My point is that it's easier for them to guarantee supply to smaller markets. Entry into California would mean a significant stress on supply.

Muskrat Portage wrote:(And our money looks better too! Especially the new 100's) :D

I'm afraid I haven't been keeping abreast of that.

Muskrat Portage wrote:The population of Springfield is 152,082 and the population of Rat Portage is 15,838, yet we have Buffalo Trace.

And deer trace...and moose trace...and lots and lots of goose trace....
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:33 am

Hi pmullin after reading through your thread I decided to open my bottle of Buffalo Trace which I have had for a few months. Yep your right it was fantastic, and all the flavour notes that you spoke of were there. Mrs les enjoyed it too.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby pmullin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:26 pm

les taylor wrote:Hi pmullin after reading through your thread I decided to open my bottle of Buffalo Trace which I have had for a few months. Yep your right it was fantastic, and all the flavour notes that you spoke of were there. Mrs les enjoyed it too.

I don't know if Mrs. Les is a regular whisky/whiskey drinker or not, but I find that nice bourbons like BT and Woodford Reserve are great to offer to guests that are not regular whiskey drinkers. Normally they are quite surprised by the combination of smoothness and taste.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:17 pm

TNbourbon wrote:
sigh Not a bourbon...
TNb:
Sorry, you're correct,
Muskrat Portage wrote:...The only US whiskey of any sort was JD...
:D Right up there with CC, whish is just down the shelf from it. :D
M.P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Drammer » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:59 am

TNbourbon wrote:

sigh Not a bourbon...

While I agree with you that technically it isn't a bourbon, why should the charcoal filtering be such a big deal? I mean, there are two Tenessee whiskeys, JD and GD, does the Lincoln County process make them so much different? I personally don't see the need to classify this as whiskey other than historic reasons.

On another note:

I plan to purchase Buffalo Trace and Eagle rare 10 sometime soon.
There really isn't a great selection of bourbon available here in Holland but at least it's relatively cheap.
PS: Enjoying some Makers Mark now :)
Drammer

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:31 am

Drammer wrote:
TNbourbon wrote:

sigh Not a bourbon...

While I agree with you that technically it isn't a bourbon, why should the charcoal filtering be such a big deal? I mean, there are two Tenessee whiskeys, JD and GD, does the Lincoln County process make them so much different? I personally don't see the need to classify this as whiskey other than historic reasons....

Two points:
  • The Jack Daniel's folks don't mind having a playing field -- Tennessee Whiskey -- almost to itself (Dickel sells a tiny fraction of what JD sells, and only entered the market in 1964), and the Kentucky bourbon folks don't want to compete in the same category as JD. So, both are quite satified that Jack Daniel's NOT be called bourbon. And,
  • Yes, there're a couple of big differences in the way Jack Daniel's and George Dickel process their whiskey through the maple charcoal. JD is leached through chunked charcoal in large tanks with no temperature controls, while Dickel drips its whiskey through maple burned to a much finer, ash-like consistency in a temperature-controlled, chilled room.

They are very much different whiskeys. The process actually removes more flavor elements than it adds, so the Tennessee whiskeys are much blander than bourbon.
Deactivated Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:49 pm

My first Bourbon was Elijah Craig 12. Which I enjoyed. It has a spicy oakiness along with the bright Bourbon flavors. I just got a bottle of Buffalo Trace and it is GREAT. I, too, am wowed (not that it's a big deal, I'm no pro critic :lol: ) I hope to try Wild Turkey Rare Breed next or maybe one of the Evan Williams Single Barrel vintages.

SP
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby pmullin » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:23 am

MGillespie wrote:Amazingly enough, that's the basic bourbon from Buffalo Trace. Wait until you try Eagle Rare and work your way up to the George T Stagg range...

Whatever they're doing, they should bottle that stuff and sell it...oh wait, they already do! ;)

Mark

Just tried some of the Eagle Rare and it does indeed live up to your recommendation. I haven't been as lucky in tracking down the George T Stagg. The clerk at the VA ABC store that I recently visited said that the stuff was on allocation and that Virginia has already sold out its quota. He expected to see some again in late summer! :shock: :cry:

I think our Atlantic Canada allocation of zero bottles has also been exhausted :wink:
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:33 am

If you liked the Eagle Rare 10 then look for the 17 it's even better, it is also in the same series as the Geaorge T Stagg so it's hard to find as well, but worth the hunt.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:11 am

We have got George .t. Stagg ,Sacerac and Eagle rare 10 yo.
We haven`t gotten around to opening them yet but I am hoping will get around to that soon. :)
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby pmullin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:38 pm

pmullin wrote:
MGillespie wrote:Amazingly enough, that's the basic bourbon from Buffalo Trace. Wait until you try Eagle Rare and work your way up to the George T Stagg range...

Mark

Just tried some of the Eagle Rare and it does indeed live up to your recommendation. I haven't been as lucky in tracking down the George T Stagg. The clerk at the VA ABC store that I recently visited said that the stuff was on allocation and that Virginia has already sold out its quota. He expected to see some again in late summer! :shock: :cry:

I think our Atlantic Canada allocation of zero bottles has also been exhausted :wink:

Managed to finally track down a bottle of George T Stagg last summer while in SF on vacation.

I just opened it and tried it Friday evening... Wow! That is a truly amazing product. It must take some serious craftsmanship to create a 140 proof spirit that you can drink neat, although a drop of water brings out a whole new raft of flavors.

The other thing that was surprising was the balance of the flavors - the vanilla, citrus and sweet notes were in total harmony. I can see why Jim Murray has been giving this top-drawer scores of 97.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Re:

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:07 am

pmullin wrote:Managed to finally track down a bottle of George T Stagg last summer while in SF on vacation.

I just opened it and tried it Friday evening... Wow! That is a truly amazing product. It must take some serious craftsmanship to create a 140 proof spirit that you can drink neat, although a drop of water brings out a whole new raft of flavors.

The other thing that was surprising was the balance of the flavors - the vanilla, citrus and sweet notes were in total harmony. I can see why Jim Murray has been giving this top-drawer scores of 97.

Congratulations :thumbsup:

140 proof, that's quite a strong dram :o that's what.. 70% ABV?
K-Mile
Gold Member

Re:

Postby dcb » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:01 am

pmullin wrote:I also grabbed a bottle of Elijah Craig 18, which I have yet to crack open.

this is one of my favorite bourbons, I've read lots of comments here and there that it's 'overaged', but I don't think so.
dcb

Re: Buffalo Trace - Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Postby pmullin » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:06 am

I found that my bottle of Elijah Craig 18 mellowed after being opened a while. The citrus notes were just a little too dominant when I cracked it open.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:55 am

K-mile wrote:

This year it's even stronger, 144.8 proof, 72.4% abv! A 15 year old Bourbon that has everything. Getting mine in 2 weeks
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:20 pm

jimidrammer wrote:K-mile wrote:

This year it's even stronger, 144.8 proof, 72.4% abv! A 15 year old Bourbon that has everything. Getting mine in 2 weeks

Wow, that's really something if they manage to get a decent taste out of that. Might look into trying some bourbon after all the SMS I had lately...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:47 am

my tasting notes for buffalo trace:

wow
wow

wow

only 21$ a bottle...

such a nose..alive and not burdened with caramel as a top as often bourbons can be...

there is grass and corn and earth and hoofs and everything that connects one to the grassland..the fields...

when i drink this i am traversing the plains.....

motherfuck this is good
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby BourbonDrinker » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:55 pm

I'm glad to see a serious thread on bourbon over here! I watch the forum a bit, but don't see much serious talk about bourbon! I have to agree with everything said here. I'm a big fan of George T. Stagg, but haven't had the luck of finding a bottle of Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare 10-Year, but that's about to change in 2 weeks when I get a special package with lots of goodies! I run a bourbon focused web-site and many of the bottles mentioned above are oft mentioned on my board.
BourbonDrinker

Postby MrIntrepid » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:01 pm

Agree with all the above, for me Buffalo Trace is my number one whisky/whiskey based on a price quality ratio
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:46 am

lawschooldrunk wrote:hey, randal fairbrook. watch your language. if you want to curse, curse in Gaelic :D

oops..i let the bourbon run away with my mouth...is there a way to edit it?
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Bulkington » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:40 pm

Not to brag, but a friend and I each recently bought a bottle both of the Stagg and Eagle Rare ltd. bottlings from 2006 for only $25 each. Any idea how these will appreciate in value as investments?

This thread's making me want to open them!
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby BourbonDrinker » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:31 pm

WHERE?!
BourbonDrinker

Postby Francisco Scaramanga » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:43 pm

Hello, I am Bulkington's friend (with whom he bought the stock of Stagg and Eagle Rare)...

The store is a very ordinary and small corner liquor shop in a not very traveled area of NYC. We bought their entire stock, and from the looks of the place, I'd wager they probably won't be getting in more bottles anytime soon.
Francisco Scaramanga

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder