Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Montgomerie's Single Cask Collection

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Montgomerie's Single Cask Collection

Postby Arebee » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:18 pm

Does anybody know anything about these whiskies? I came across a bottle of Montgomerie's 1989 Bowmore at the local liquor store and I was wondering about tasting notes, casking etc.. The owner wasn't there, and the Assistant Manager didn't know anything about it.

Through extensive searching I found that Montgomerie's is bottled by Angus Dundee Distillers PLC. In addition to creating many blends, they purchased Tomintoul Distillery in 2000. Strangely, there is no mention of Montgomerie's on their website .

I emailed them and promptly received a reply from Lorne Mackillop at Angus Dundee already.

Dear Sir,

“Montgomerie’s” is one of our brands of Single Cask Single Malts imported by Leonard Kreusch in Northvale NJ . I regret we have no website for the “Montgomerie’s” brand, but we are under discussion to produce one.

The only other one we have in the USA is “Mackillop’s Choice” which is my personal selection of Single Casks which you can further research on our rather out-of-date website: http://www.mackillopschoice.com

This is imported by Royal Wine in Bayonne NJ .

Both brands are not caramel coloured and so are natural colours straight from the barrel.

Should you require any further information, you have my contact details below.

Best regards,

Lorne.
------------------------

So still, not much information but I did find a list of Montgomerie's offerings on the importer's website.

Some sound very interesting, but I'd be hard pressed to go in on a $90 flyer for the bottle of Bowmore not knowing a thing about the whisky.

Dufftown - 43% - Feb. 1978 - Speyside
Dalmore - 43% - Sept. 1985 - North Highlands
Rosebank - 43% - April 1989 - Lowland
Bowmore - 43% - May 1989 - Islay
Ardbeg - 43% - March 1991 - Islay
Glenlivet - 43% - Dec. 1976 - Speyside-Sherry

One thing I found very strange was that this Bowmore 1989 is the only Scotch from ANY independent bottler that this store has in it's inventory, yet they had two bottles of it.
Arebee

Re: Montgomerie's Single Cask Collection

Postby Choochoo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:22 pm

Arebee wrote:One thing I found very strange was that this Bowmore 1989 is the only Scotch from ANY independent bottler that this store has in it's inventory, yet they had two bottles of it.

Hmmm, that is interesting, I wonder how long those two bottles have sat on their shelf for? So they were distilled in 89, do you know what year they were bottled?(or their age in general)

$90 seems like it may be a bit much to spend on a mystery IB Bowmore. Over at West Side Liquors on Farmington ave, there's a Whisky Galore bottling of Bowmore for around $50-ish. I've also seen some Signatory Bowmore's floating around our area as well (Table & Vine up in Northampton has a few). So you could look into those as well if you aren't into paying for the Montgomerie bottle.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Arebee » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:39 pm

Choochoo wrote:
Hmmm, that is interesting, I wonder how long those two bottles have sat on their shelf for? So they were distilled in 89, do you know what year they were bottled?(or their age in general)

$90 seems like it may be a bit much to spend on a mystery IB Bowmore. Over at West Side Liquors on Farmington ave, there's a Whisky Galore bottling of Bowmore for around $50-ish. I've also seen some Signatory Bowmore's floating around our area as well (Table & Vine up in Northampton has a few). So you could look into those as well if you aren't into paying for the Montgomerie bottle.

These are exactly the questions I have. Is there an age statement? What year was it bottled? What type of casks are used for aging?

And you're exactly right $90 is a lot for a mystery Scotch. A few years back, I purchased a 1986 Bruichladdich Scott's Selection for $85 and was completely underwhelmed and disappointed. That's why I'm very hesitant to buy IBs on a whim.

I have since found the Monte Bowmore on the net priced in the mid $50s too. It looks like it's a 12 year old.
Arebee

Postby Jobi » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:33 pm

I thought I would bump this thread. I've just come across a few of these Montgomerie's single casks and wanted an update on whether anyone has tried any of them?
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:48 am

I have two Montogomery bottlings at home, which I haven't yet opened. Whilst that means I can't answer your question or help directly, what I can say is that
(a) they were going very cheap in the store I found them
(b) whilst there is no colour due to caramel, there is also hardly any colour from the wood! In other words, the malts were either (i) bottled young, and so they weren't in the cask for long enough to take on much colour, or (ii) the casks were third or fourth fill, and therefore didn't have much life and colour to give back to the whisky.

My suspicion is that the bottlings aren't all that special, and I really only bought them because they were so cheap. I'm not expecting a sensational dram when I eventually open the bottles. I picked them up for around AUS$65, which is about US$45.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:22 pm

Jobi wrote:I thought I would bump this thread. I've just come across a few of these Montgomerie's single casks and wanted an update on whether anyone has tried any of them?

I have tried the Ardbeg 43%, Montgomerie's, 1991, Cask 1017, 10yo, on a few occasions, and I found it quite nice. Definitely older style Ardbeg (not old as in age), and really tasty. If I saw one at the right price (under $90), I would definitely buy it. My notes on this bottle are here: Ardbeg Live Tasting
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:06 pm

I've had one Montgomerie's bottling-Macallan. Unfortunately I don't have good notes but what I can tell you is that I found it to be something not quite as good as the regular Macallan 12.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder