Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

price of an oogling

General chat and talk about whisky.

price of an oogling

Postby elli » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:08 pm

I noticed that on ebay the famed ardbeg oogling went for £101. How high do you think the price of an oogling will go for?? Those who have tasted it is it a hundred pound whisky??
elli

Postby vitara7 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:53 pm

its all about supply and demand.

the oogling was limited to about 1250 bottles if i mind right, they didnt limit the amount you could buy so a lot of folk bought a few each, i know i did so the number of folk with them must only be about 700ish
for a limited edition ardbeg £101 isnt that high, i know it only cost £35 less than a year ago, but it is just going to keep going up. whisky-online has or had one for £195, dont know if they still have it or not. ive seen the ardbeg very young go for £90 a bottle and there were 1000's of them made.
the thing with the oogling is they were cheap enough for a lot of folk to drink, and a lot of them would have been, i know a few were tanned at the distillery alone during last years festival.
if i hadent bought a few of them last year, i for one would have bought it for £100 as long term it will only go up in value.
to the collector its worth every penny, but to a drinker, theres better whiskies to spend £100 on.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Drammer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:26 pm

There is a shop here where I can still get it retail for € 51,95
That's a third of 100 quid.
Go figure.
Drammer

Postby vitara7 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:46 pm

i take it you mean the very young drammer?

i know shops selling it myself for £28.99, but there in the back of beyond, ill just wait till the price goes up higher then buy them myself 8)
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:54 am

As we have all seen, the Oogling (Young Ooooogie) is selling for sometimes crazy prices on Ebay.

I have seen bottles sell for anything from €90 to €155 (60 GBP to just over 100 GBP).

I expect any shops with cheaper stocks as posted above will soon run out, as those posters themselves should be buying all they can at that price!

For sure the price will continue to rise, as does the price of any Ardbeg "committee only" bottling.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:36 am

I have been watching these bottles closely, mostly on the German ebay site, and they always top 100€, over twice what they cost in May '06 on the Ardbeg site. They sold out in a few days, just 1392 bottles. They usually sell for around 120€. It's really exciting to watch this young one, and I wonder how much more it will fetch this year??!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:15 pm

With a bottle like this, I would usually expect a large initial increase, exactly as we have seen.

The bottle is issued, lots of people want them but they are very limited. This causes a very quick price hike.

Very often this high price will fall back a little to a more steady one.
Perhaps we have seen this?
The initial price of the bottle was €45 (30 GBP) but very quickly we saw bottles being sold for around €140 to €165 on Ebay Germany.

This price did drop back a little, with most bottles eventually selling at €100 to €150 which is more or less where we are now.

I think this price range will remain static for a little while, certainly during this year, but I suspect that within another 2-3 years we will see an average increase of around 10% to 15% per year.
Probably for the following 5 years.

After this 5-7 years, it's quite difficult to predict at the moment whether the price will reach a plateau for a while, or just carry on increasing either the same or by a smaller percentage.

I most certainly do not predict a drop in the price over this period.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:23 pm

Great info Malt-Teaser! And you answered my question regarding the price perhaps coming down...
"I most certainly do not predict a drop in the price over this period."

Perhaps these young whiskies are going for such high prices because they are not as common as the standard 10, 12 etc bottlings??
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:47 pm

DB,
It's not a case of them being young whiskies. This is an Ardbeg "Committee" bottling and limited to around 1300 bottles.

Those three things together (Ardbeg + Committee bottling + limited edition) make a great investment if you get in early with an order from the distillery at the original selling price.
Even if you were to buy now at around €100 to €130 I believe you will not lose out, you just may have to wait longer for a good return. But you should always view collectible whiskies as a longer term investment of around 10 years!

There is no doubting that Ardbeg is very much an in vogue distillery. There have been a few recent discussions as to whether they will continue to be so, especially after seeing the issue prices of their 1965 and the "Christmas edition" single cask. I think LVMH are trying to milk the consumers a little too much, but the only effect that I see from that at the moment is that the prices and collectibility of their more reasonably-priced offerings like the Ooooogie are performing well. Whilst the dearer remain unsold.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:10 pm

I feel lucky to have been able to get 2, now quietly relaxing in the whisky cellar. We'll see how long they last.
Di Blasi

Re: price of an oogling

Postby corbuso » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:46 pm

elli wrote:I noticed that on ebay the famed ardbeg oogling went for £101. How high do you think the price of an oogling will go for?? Those who have tasted it is it a hundred pound whisky??

The question of price has been addressed, but otherwise, the oogling is not a bad youngster (http://www.whisky-news.com/En/tasting1.html#24Nov06). I found it much better than the Ballechin and better than the Port Charlotte PC5
Like MT wrote, it will probably go up in prices, like the whisky in general during the next years. As a matter of fact, if you think just about the value that your bottle migh have in 5-10 or 30 years, then you would never open any of your bottles.

Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Re: price of an oogling

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:15 am

corbuso wrote:I found it much better than the Ballechin

I agree

corbuso wrote:and better than the Port Charlotte PC5

I disagree. It is a wonderful whisky though. Redefined "Full on" for me. Having had a bottle I would probably pay £100 for another even if I just intended to drink it ignoring it's collectability value, but there are just so many whiskies I haven't tried yet I'm trying to avoid repeating myself too much.

corbuso wrote:As a matter of fact, if you think just about the value that your bottle migh have in 5-10 or 30 years, then you would never open any of your bottles.

Excellent point. Just imagine the stories we'll be telling the next generations of whisky drinkers... "Oh yes, I drank a bottle of Port Ellen back in '06, washed the Rosebank and the Brora down nicely..."

If you have £100 to spend on a bottle of whisky to lay aside I think it would be very well spent on an Oogy even if this price is inflated from the original price.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:19 pm

Does anyone of you know where to get ahold of the oogling ?
Don`t say Ebay !!
If someone knows a shop or something in scotland it would be nice.
we are going there in March.
This bottle is one that my husband wants as I personally don`t find Ardbeg to be especially good . I`ll drink it if i served but if I have a choice no way
I just don`t get what`s so wonderful about this whisky !?
Sorry for getting out of hand here .
Hopfully you`ll forgive me for not being able to stop bulling ardbeg as you see I don`t mind buying ardbeg (and laphroaig for that sake)as my husband loves them and I love him so if he wants he gets! :)
So please HELP me
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:12 pm

i very much doubt there will be a shop anywhere in scotland that has a bottle of the ardbeg oogling for sale.
they were only for sale from the distillery for about 3 or 4 days, the only place other than ebay ive seen one for sale has been whisky-online, he wanted £195 for it, and must have got that for it as he no longer has it for sale.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:22 am

I am drinking mine without regret. There will be something else to drink next year. 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:57 am

I see we suddenly have a new member selling an Oooooglinggg.

200 GBP!!!

Good luck to him, but this is far too much to ask.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:18 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I am drinking mine without regret. There will be something else to drink next year. 8)

You can always drink your discontinued Blavenie 10, look for both the terrior and salt. :wink:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:52 pm

Lawrence wrote:You can always drink your discontinued Blavenie 10, look for both the terrior and salt. :wink:

Mr Picky is quite sure that you must mean "slat".

Would that be a Scotch terrior?
Deactivated Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:56 am

I'm sure when Stuart Thompson bottled the Oogling he intended for it to be tasted and enjoyed by enthusiasts, rather than traded on ebay for huge prices.
I was lucky enough to be at the distellery last summer when they had some Oogie on the shelfs. Unfortunately by the time I got to the shop my taxi was waiting outside and was in a real hurry so that I didn't miss my Glasgow flight. Never mind I figured, I'll get a bottle from the online shop. Famous last thoughts! I have now learned my lesson. You can always rearrange your travel plans, but you'll never get a bottle of Oogling for £35 again!
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:47 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:I see we suddenly have a new member selling an Oooooglinggg.

200 GBP!!!

Good luck to him, but this is far too much to ask.
MT

He managed to sell it though! No idea if he got his asking price, but what a price!
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:51 pm

Price is not listed, but the Whisky Exchange has it on their site, with "contact us." I wonder what they're selling it for, and how many they have to sell???
Di Blasi

Postby vitara7 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:56 pm

ive sent TWE a mail just to be nosey and see how much their after for them...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:22 pm

Well I still have three in my personal collection and they are not for sale at any price.

(Famous last words? - I hope not)
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:27 pm

i have two oogling myself, one is in the collection, and one is for whatever, hard times, rainy days or a swap withsomeone, who knows.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:28 pm

personaly im hoping they do a more resonably priced whisky festival bottling this year, i so ill be getting a couple, along with whatever i can fill my car boot with while im over...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:55 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Well I still have three in my personal collection and they are not for sale at any price.

(Famous last words? - I hope not)
MT

So are you drinking them then ?
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:00 pm

MT how did you get three? I thought I did well to get one.

:)
les taylor

Postby vitara7 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:03 pm

they didn't limit the amount you could buy. i thought at the time i would chance my luck and order two to collect when i was over, they gave me two and i asked if there wasa limit per person they said there wasnt and when i tried to buy more, they said they had sold out... wish i had got more as long term this is going to be a very collectable ardbeg bottling, even by ardbeg standards....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:17 pm

SOI,
no they are an investment which is already proving worthwhile.
I will one day sell them, but not in the foreseeable future (I hope, hence my "famous last words" comment).

Les and V7,
I believe they were limited to two per order / person.
On the Ardbeg site it didn't give the possibility to order more than one when I logged in, but I found that if I went back to the shop after putting one in my basket and asked again for one, I then had 2 in the basket.
I tried for three, but received a mail back from the distillery that I could only have two.

The third I found locally in a shop and snapped it up before they realised that they could have sold it for much more than the shelf price asked for.
:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:28 pm

i like it M_T... always good to get a bargin...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:33 pm

Well done you guy's the lesson to be learn't is if anything likes this comes sup again. You guys must let me know,in case I have missed it and be bold with your ordering.

les taylor

Postby vitara7 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:52 pm

ill be sure to let you know les. of course, that will be after ive got as many as im allowed personally myself :lol: :lol:

but seriously, we should post when bottles like that come up or are about to come up and help each other out for the benifit of our own collections tasting etc, and that way a few folk dont profit on others misfortune at not geting a bottle for themselfs, or maybe by means of swapping bottles that we are able to get here but no there. by that i mean if there an edtion only for germany etc then maybe someone from germany would be interested in swapping one of those with a special uk release or somthing. that way were all benifiting with the exception of the profit hunters.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:26 am

Now I am a bit confused here .
I thought the oogling was young uigedail but when I see your referals to the whisky exchange I am thinking its the very young.
Is it me that has missunderstood?
If it is the very young then I didn`t need help to find it if it`s the young uigedail then I still need help finding it.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:47 am

Ann-Helen The oogling we refer to is the Committee Reserve Young Uigedail. There was something like 1352 bottles Released.

The young Ardbeg is the Ardbeg released annually under different guises until it becomes the new make spirit under Glenmorangie, when it will beome the new Ardbeg Ten.

Hope that helps.

les taylor

Postby Ann-Helen » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:04 am

I am still confused.
In Murrays whiskybible 2006 it says Ardbeg committe reserve bot 02 55.3% 3000 bottles
So that means there are different bottlings of the committe reserve ?
In the bible of 2007 it says young uigedail ,so there must be an Ardbeg called that!?
In M.J`s malt whisky companion says that the committe reserve was vatted from whiskies made in the 70s 80s and 90s (bottled 2002)
For god sake HELP!!!
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder