Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Question about Laphroaig 30yo

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Laphroaig 30 Years Old

Question about Laphroaig 30yo

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:33 pm

First off, they do use sherry casks for it right? I believe I've heard at least a few people with that perception.

Anyway, if they do use sherry casks only for Laphroaig 30yo, where do the subpar sherry casks go? Does 15yo have any? I don't remember that being the case.

Lawrence maybe? Anyone?
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:59 am

Well laphroaig 30 yo is sherry cask it`s actually wonderful as I don`t like the other laphroaigs!! (the 40 yo I haven`t tasted so I won`t say anything about it)
As to the other question I have no idea.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby xcel » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:23 pm

I think the 15yo is sherry cask, but I'm not 100%.
xcel

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:39 pm

B.U.M.P.

Really no one has a theory or anything on this? I was under the impression that only a small number of casks are even able to age for 30 years without becoming too woodsy or tannic. Does the rest go to blends?
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:45 pm

Standard 10 yr old laphroaig is fairly dark so I assumed there were some sherry casks in there. May not be many but compare the color of it to ardbeg 10 which is all bourbon and you will see the difference.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:19 am

You're all wrong! :) :wink:

There is no sherry at all in the standard 10yo; nor - believe it or not - is there any in the 15yo! The 15yo is a real surprise...it's so deliciously sweet and also a little darker, and yet there is no sherry in there. I have that info directly from distillery staff, so take my word for it. :)

The 30yo does have sherry in it, although I don't know whether its 100% sherry casks in the vatting. Personally, I doubt it. Ann-Helen's post above suggests that the bottlings are single-casks, but I don't believe that's the case....it's my understanding that they vatted a few casks for the 30yo release. Of course, my last experience with the 30yo was 18 months ago, so things may have changed since then.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:36 am

Admiral wrote:You're all wrong! :) :wink:

There is no sherry at all in the standard 10yo; nor - believe it or not - is there any in the 15yo! The 15yo is a real surprise...it's so deliciously sweet and also a little darker, and yet there is no sherry in there. I have that info directly from distillery staff, so take my word for it. :)

That was my suspicion. After seeing some indie bottlings, I'm fairly sure that they use caramel coloring for the young'uns. It's strange how Laphroaig is considered "love it or hate it" but it takes on fruit characteristics better than the other peatmonsters.

Anyway, the 30yo definitely has that raisiny "old sherry" quality. I don't think it's dark enough to be 100% sherry. I'm just wondering how they got 30yo sherry casks in there without rejecting some, since it tastes so damn good.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:45 am

I'm just wondering how they got 30yo sherry casks in there without rejecting some, since it tastes so damn good.

Actually, you needn't wonder. In my experience, sherry casks are in fact more likely to reach older ages than bourbon casks. When I think of the best older whiskies I've tasted (i.e. 30 years or older), they've all been from sherry casks, with the exception of one (namely the 39yo Invergordon).

The reason for this is actually pretty obvious - most of the really good sherry casks are butts, not hogsheads, and we know that larger casks take longer to mature their contents.

So whereas an average ex-bourbon barrel (200 litres) might peak at 18 years or something before starting to show its age, an ex-sherry butt (500 litres) would typically peak many years beyond 18.

(Notwithstanding variations for whether the casks are first-fill, second-fill, etc, etc)

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:29 am

I'm reaching waaaaay back into the recesses of my brain and I recall one batch of Laphroaig 30 that was 100% sherry, apparently the casks were owned by one gentleman and he then upped and died and the distillery bought them back. The casks were nick named or stenciled with "St. Auk" the name of the ship that the casks arrived on.

However I'm jsut bringing this up as a matter of interest and Admiral is quite correct in his assessment.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:52 am

According to Andrew Jefford's "Peat, Smoke & Spirit" they now use 100% (as do nearly all of the Ardbeg new make) first fill bourbon casks for the OBs. So if they bought back sherry casks from this gentleman there's bound to be a pretty limited resource right?

Edit: It's surprising to know they don't do sherry casks anymore. If they change their mind they'll have to wait for so long before their new sherry matured whisky is ready? Why not make at least a few casks a year?
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:29 am

I didn`t mean the 30 yo was singel cask I just came out abit wrong :oops:
I suppose its a vatting.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:07 am

According to Andrew Jefford's "Peat, Smoke & Spirit" they now use 100% (as do nearly all of the Ardbeg new make) first fill bourbon casks for the OBs. So if they bought back sherry casks from this gentleman there's bound to be a pretty limited resource right?

Well, yes, they use 100% first fill ex-bourbon casks for standard OB's, particularly their 10yo, etc, but that doesn't mean they're also filling into sherry casks for occasional special releases. You can guarantee they'll be filling the odd sherry cask here and there and putting it aside for special bottlings in the future.

(After all, consider Macallan.....for years they stated they were using 100% sherry casks for their OB's, but that didn't mean they weren't filling ex-bourbon casks as well! As we now well know! :wink: )

Cheers,
ADmiral

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:26 am

Admiral wrote:

Well, yes, they use 100% first fill ex-bourbon casks for standard OB's, particularly their 10yo, etc, but that doesn't mean they're also filling into sherry casks for occasional special releases. You can guarantee they'll be filling the odd sherry cask here and there and putting it aside for special bottlings in the future.

(After all, consider Macallan.....for years they stated they were using 100% sherry casks for their OB's, but that didn't mean they weren't filling ex-bourbon casks as well! As we now well know! :wink: )

Cheers,
ADmiral

Cheers,
ADmiral

What you say makes sense Admiral - and it would be tragic really if they didn't fill the odd sherry cask. But the Ten was filled in second fill bourbon cask I believe as opposed to the new practice of using first fill in the post-Glenmorangie era. Hm, do you think that the added claim for exclusivity by the LMVH group will change their policy thus increase the use of sherry casks?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:32 am

But the Ten was filled in second fill bourbon cask I believe as opposed to the new practice of using first fill in the post-Glenmorangie era.

Actually, I was referring to Laphroaig, not Ardbeg, but I take your point.

From what I hear around the traps, LVMH are actually being pretty gentle towards Glenmorangie PLC. At this stage, I don't think they're stipulating anything too drastic or forcing Glenmorangie/Ardbeg to do things that they wouldn't have done of their own accord anyway.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:48 am

Admiral wrote:
But the Ten was filled in second fill bourbon cask I believe as opposed to the new practice of using first fill in the post-Glenmorangie era.

Actually, I was referring to Laphroaig, not Ardbeg, but I take your point.

Sorry, I misunderstood :oops:
From what I hear around the traps, LVMH are actually being pretty gentle towards Glenmorangie PLC. At this stage, I don't think they're stipulating anything too drastic or forcing Glenmorangie/Ardbeg to do things that they wouldn't have done of their own accord anyway.

Cheers,
ADmiral

That's a relief actually. I guess it's smart not to rock the boat - especially with the following both brands have in both the home market and worldwide.
Mr Fjeld

Related whiskies : Laphroaig 30 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder