Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New HP 12, observations

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

New HP 12, observations

Postby Tyson » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:00 am

At my local liquor store last night I noticed that they had the new Highland Park 12 in stock so I picked up a bottle post haste. The bottling is interesting, oval and short, a stout look. The old timey looking label adds to the impression of an "old school" feel.

The "old" HP is one of my favorite OB whiskeys, perhaps "the" favorite. I knew that they had stopped adding coloring and the whiskey does seem to be a couple of shades lighter, but still a nice amber hue. On the palate the balance had shifted. I notices quite a bit less honey in the middle, and definitely more organics (peat and earthiness) in the finish.

Overall it's a change, for some people maybe a change for the better, for other people probably not. Me? I figure I've got till the end of the bottle to make up my mind :)
Tyson

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:25 am

That's interesting to hear Tyson. I'm still working my way through some old style bottles but I'm tempted to do a HTH to see if there is an improvement or otherwise.
I've had a couple of independent expressions which have never seem caramel in their life and they are brilliant - particularly the Signatory bottlings. So HP without caramel holds no fear for me :D
Deactivated Member

Postby DramMeister » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:31 pm

I opened a new style HP12 this week. I've not done a H2H but I think it's not changed much. I, for one, am glad about that, it's still a great dram!
DramMeister
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder