Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Isle of Jura 1999...

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Isle of Jura 1999...

Postby mannyCA » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:56 am

... ‘Heavy Peated Edition’ (58%, OB, 40ppm)

anyone know when/if this is coming stateside?

any update on the PC5? (port charlotte 5yo new make)
TIA
manny
mannyCA

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:35 am

Hi manny The pc5 as far as I'm aware in the UK has been snapped up very quick before christmas and don't think its available anywhere here now. Unless some has been reserved for the US market. I'm afraid it might not be coming your way. It is good though.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:06 am

Over here in the EU the PC5 was indeed bought out (or sold out) extremely quickly.
I believe there was only a total of around 3000 bottles world-wide, with about 900 for Germany.
These were grossly over-subscribed and sold out from the distributor long before they were in the country.

I personally ordered 12 bottles from the German importer and received 2.

Good luck if any were reserved for the US market.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby fishboy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:18 pm

I first tried the heavily peated Jura back in 2005 at the distillery. I did a tour of the distillery during the last week of their silent season. The week after my visit they were going to start distilling again and they were starting with the heavily peated version. They had huge plastic containers filled with the foreshots and feints from the last time they had distilled the heavily peated and we tasted some (very peaty, and very pleasant – a bit like tasting new make with water). After that we went to the warehouse and tasted some of the normal Jura and heavily peated from the cask. Two very different whiskies, but I'm convinced that the heavily peated is going to be a fantastic whisky when it grows up. Its quite light compared to the younger south shore Islays I've tasted, quite floral - very Jura like (quite reminiscent of the Benriach peated if you've tried that).

The year after (2006) Jura bottled the heavily peated for the Feis Ile and I got a couple of bottles (both sadly gone!). Very good though, and I can't wait for them to release a regular OB – although I’m not sure when this will happen.

I was lucky enough to get a few bottles of the PC 5, and I’m halfway through the first bottle (it is excellent). Whilst you might not be able to get any of the PC5, I’m sure some of the later Port Charlotte bottlings will make it to the states (Bruichladdich did make a lot of it!).
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby r900p » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:31 pm

this was in duty free for £23 tenerife, that a good price?

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:40 pm

Rob what was in tenerife for £23?

les taylor

Postby fishboy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:45 pm

Go on Rob, give us a clue!!
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby r900p » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:43 pm

Jura 1999 was £23, which iw as shoced at. My parnets were out there and neglected to call me to see if i fancied anything. So how much is the 1999 jura, have i missed out?
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:46 pm

no unfortunately is wasnt' the pc5, hard to find now, still know where you can get it for £65 though. But as someone has noted its at 119.00 to buy on ebay, wow!
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:48 pm

Rob one guy has it on at £129.99

Phew.

les taylor

Postby r900p » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:53 pm

ah i got i wrong, yep your right. That really is something, be interesting to see how high the other one on ebay goes. I'll be keeping an eye on that.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:22 pm

I'm not convinced that early prototypes of whiskies that will become standard have any long term investment potential. Certainly, I don't think my limited edition Laphroaig Quarter Cask is worth anything.

I wonder how this post will look in a few years time...
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:29 pm

Nick,
it depends upon the presentation. If the bottle - label - packaging / or even %vol are different then yes, that particular edition will already be collectible and will (probably) increase in value.

If the "standard release" is no different to the early limited prototype, then no it won't.

There was some talk previously of the first edition, members only QC having a different colour stripe to the standard (green?) one. I don't know if this is true, but if it is, then that earlier one will be collectible.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby fishboy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:44 pm

I think that depends on what the standard bottlings eventually look like and taste like. I was one of those who were able to by the “prototype” bottle of laphroaig quarter cask direct from the distillery and it is (as far as I can tell) identical to the OB – is there a difference? I thought this was more of a market research exercise, or maybe trying to raise the profile of the product prior to release. The Port Charlotte on the other hand looks to me to have all the hallmarks of something that (for a while at least) will increase in value. The PC5 has individually numbered bottles and a very limited release, many times over subscribed. It was also released at 63.5% - something that will be impossible with, for example, at 10 year old PC. Whatever the product eventually released as an OB looks like it won’t be the same as the first release. As for the Jura peated, as I said, I’ve drunk my 2 Feis Ile bottles….so I hope it doesn’t go up….

Another example of products in development is the Ballechin, which, whilst, an interesting experiment is probably there to be drunk rather than collected.

I think like all these things the market will judge. At least in the short term the PC 5 continues to rise in eBay auctions whilst I’m not sure a bottle of Ballechin has sold for more than the original retail price (M-T will be able to put us straight!).

As you say time will tell, and I’ll be happy to eat my word’s (and drink my bottles of PC5) if the bubble bursts.
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:07 pm

The original QC had light green metallic tin lids - but nothing terribly obvious. I don't think "first editions" of whiskies will be that collectable unless they are firsts from new distilleries. At the moment, the demand is fuelled by the perception that there is some radical new whisky to be tried and only so many bottles of the stuff. In time, PC will be readily available - but presumably in a steady stream of limited editions with weird finishes - so the short supply will have vanished. A bit like Stagg.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:17 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Over here in the EU the PC5 was indeed bought out (or sold out) extremely quickly.
I believe there was only a total of around 3000 bottles world-wide, with about 900 for Germany.
These were grossly over-subscribed and sold out from the distributor long before they were in the country.

I personally ordered 12 bottles from the German importer and received 2.

Good luck if any were reserved for the US market.
MT

The back of my bottles say '6038' (I'm sure about the 6000 but not exactly sure about the 38 :) ) I'll check and report back.

I really don't care if PC5 is valuable in 5, 10, 20 or 50 years. I enjoy having it now.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:21 pm

Sorry Lawrence,
I have just checked my own and you are correct. I was working from memory without checking and I thought it was 3000 when in reality it was 6000-ish.

The figures I saw quoted were to a round thousand (6000) but as you see from the numbering it was just a little over.

I was only 3-thou out which may have been OK in some trades, but it's a good job I don't work in a bank!
:lol:
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder