Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

blends.... which ones???

All your whisky related questions answered here.

blends.... which ones???

Postby killerwhale » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:10 am

would forum members please share with me some blends that are packed with flavour?
I enjoy JWB and it's deep fruit flavour..... any others that are very good? for the price? (explain please & thank you!) :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:17 am

John Player Special is an ok scotch blend but Jameson 12 is a guaranteed success. In my opinion it's even better than many single malts.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:23 am

thanks Mr Fjeld, i have heard of the 12 being good, a little pricey though... :(
I will give it a try however.... :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:27 am

killerwhale wrote:thanks Mr Fjeld, i have heard of the 12 being good, a little pricey though... :(
I will give it a try however.... :D

Hi Willy :D I forgot to say why I think they are good: The JPS has a nice sherry influence and is immediately apparent in the nose. It's a bit short in the finish though. The Jameson 12 benefits from a larger portion of pure pot still whisky in the blend and has a very nice nose, taste and long finish for a blend. You'll find both pure pot still character in it with nice spicyness and a nice dose of sherry cask influence as well. It's one of my all-time favourite whiskies and in my view well worth the extra money compared to the NAS blends. However, you should perhaps try it at a bar first because some find it too spicy.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Scotchio » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:42 am

Campbeltown Loch 21 is vy good value. Richly malty , smooth with a nice degree of sherry input. Of the more available blends I also like Grants Family Reserve; light and fresh with nice speyside fruit and spice, a lively aperitif, also good value.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:59 am

Ballie Nichol Jarvie is widely available and a reasonable price. Has a good taste too.

:)
les taylor

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:21 pm

My neighbour gave me a large dram of Black Bottle the other night. Wow! Very smooth and sweet - the ultimate session deam, perhaps? Especially ast the price! He said he paid 12 quid for it!

Surprised he was when I told him it's based on "the 7 Islay malts"...the Speyside content disguises this in our opinion, but then we're used to, and favour, the raw stuff...

"Eminently drinkable!"
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:28 pm

Reggaeblues If I remember correctly there are two expressions of black bottle. The standard and the ten year old. Both are delicious.

:)
les taylor

Postby killerwhale » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:05 pm

Hi Willy

LOL.... :lol:

thanks for the info all :D

anyone ever tried Gordons Highlander I wonder? if so.... opinion?
How about Catto's (just the standard blend)?
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:44 pm

We tasted Catto's in the Inver House masterclass at the Victoria festival. I am not a blend drinker at all, but I was reasonably impressed--it was a nice dram. Sorry I can't be any more specific than that--can't at the moment find my notes, and doubt I wrote much, anyway.
Deactivated Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:11 pm

thanks MrT., I have heard that Catto's was a decent blend... also that Gordons Highlander was good aswell.... though it's about $10 cheaper than some SM and I am not sure if I should just spend 10 more to enjoy a decent SM....
I did have the McClellend's Islay and though it's gentle, it was very nice for the price..... approx 37-38 (Canadian ofcourse)
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:18 pm

If you like belnds Cattos and Gordon Highlander are good, Chivas is actually quite nice but the best is Ballantines 17.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:19 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:My neighbour gave me a large dram of Black Bottle the other night. Wow! Very smooth and sweet - the ultimate session deam, perhaps? Especially ast the price! He said he paid 12 quid for it!

the 10 year old BB has more Islay Character than the standard but I prefer the standard.

I recommend Islay Mist, which is RMW's house blend.

JW Gold, if you can afford it, is sweet and honeyed while Dew Of Ben Nevis 12 is almost like a liqueur.

Also try Cameron Brig grain whisky, if you can get it.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:23 pm

I remember one dram from my trips to Skye - I think it was "Ian Macleod's Isly of Skye", something like 8yrs old blended and an excellent dram.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 pm

thanks for replies :D

btw Lawrence, I would give Ballantines 17 a go but it's not availiable from my local liquor store.... perhaps I may be able to get one ordered in though.... I'll have to ask....
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:33 pm

I just checked the web site.... no Ballantines 17 :( :evil:

:idea: I'll still talk to the product consultant and see if she can get one brought in.... if the price is decent ofcourse :oops: :P
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:37 pm

thanks Bruce & MT... the selection at my local store isn't that great.... I was hoping to find something decent and tasty for a good price.... otherwise I'll have to just spend a bit more and go SM.... however, I do enjoy JWB and the rich fruit so I will get another bottle of that when mine runs low ... pricey but yummy :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:56 pm

Ian Macleod's Isle of skye 8 is brilliant.

MT is right about that.

KW, let us know what is available and we will comment on it.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:14 pm

Bruce, some standard cheap blends like teachers, grouse, bells, the grants family.... I wonder what the sherry and ale casks from grants are like?, catto's, gordons highlander, JWB, a few Irish blends, dewar's white label, ballantine's (regular one), queen anne, J&B whyte & mackay... mmmm what else *taps fingers*.... well, I'll have to look harder :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:20 pm

You can't go far wrong with Ballantines (regular). My last bottle (Autumn 2005) was smooth and very creamy.

grant's sherry cask is okay and whyte and mackay is usually a good buy.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:40 pm

thanks again.... I may give ballantines a go soon..... I'm wondering, any on the list I provided have rich fruit flavour similar to JWB?
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby BubbaC » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:53 pm

If you haven't tried Blackbush, from the Bushmill's distillery you should definitely give it a try. Very good blend. It is one of my favorites.
BubbaC

Postby killerwhale » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:57 pm

thanks Bubba, blackbush isn't availiable at the moment in my store, there's shelf space for it but for some reason it hasn't been there for awhile... I have heard it is good and it's one I will definately try
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:30 am

Yup, John Player Special for me too! An everyday dram, however you wanna enjoy it, very good straight, or over ice it doesn't get all watery or diluted. And also the Berry Bros. and Rudd Blue Hanger 25y is dynamite, but a bit more expensive.
Di Blasi

Postby killerwhale » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:38 am

I don't think I can get JPS at the local store..... will look into it....

I am sipping a dram of Gordons Highlander atm and it's quite nice, a little like JWB though a bit more mellow... I like it as an 'everyday' type of dram.
from the glennfiddich co.
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:25 am

killerwhale wrote:I just checked the web site.... no Ballantines 17 :( :evil:

:idea: I'll still talk to the product consultant and see if she can get one brought in.... if the price is decent ofcourse :oops: :P

Any BCLDB store can order almost any porduct from another store, they just have to do it!! Try and give them a push.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby killerwhale » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:20 am

thanks Lawrence, the only problem is that with an item that is not listed, one has to order a case...... though I suppose it may be possible to get one bottle... just depends on whom one 'pushes'..... I'll have to pick my 'battles' :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:14 pm

BruceC wrote:"JW Gold, if you can afford it, is sweet and honeyed."

Only had one dram, and yes, I COULD afford it because I asked them for a JW Black(another good 'un IMO) and since they had none, felt obliged to pour me a "Gold" for the price of a "Black!" No complaints! VERY nice...

...and yes, I did try the BB10 once, but I think I agree - at least, the standard made a bigger impression on me the other night.

And I agree with BubbaC, I love Blackbush...more so than Bushmills SM 10.

Strange to be bigging up blends rather than the usual brace of southern Islays...

...but that's no bad thing here in sunny UK. As a travelling musician one has to be prepared - many bars stock no malt beyond Glenfiddich. Though I did actually play somewhere last year that had an Ardbeg 10! I think my surprise and delight made it all the sweeter...

Sweet? Ardbeg? you cry...well, yes, actually!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:07 pm

thanks Reggae, BlackBush is one I will try for sure.... there are some bottles in the province, just none in my store and it's been weeks.... :evil:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby BubbaC » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:19 pm

I don't know... It may be worth hopping the border and making a break for it. :)
BubbaC

Postby killerwhale » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:03 pm

lol.... yes it may indeed though I have zero time it seems these days for travel....
I shall just enjoy the modest selection I have now and pick up new ones when they finally get them in... though one of these days I surely must 'run for it' and try to get the elusive(at least in my neck of the woods :( )
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Chris » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:51 pm

I'd say, talking of widely available blends (at least in North America), Teacher's is very close to JWB in terms of depth of flavour. It has a deep malty taste with a hint of peat. For the price it is unbelievable!! For almost half the price of JWB (in Toronto) it's hard to beat. Also I occasionally try JW Red and the Grousse, but always come back to Teacher's.
Chris

Postby dapa » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:58 pm

Black Bottle for smoke
Grand Bark for medium
dapa

Postby Lawrence » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:35 pm

killerwhale wrote:thanks Lawrence, the only problem is that with an item that is not listed, one has to order a case...... though I suppose it may be possible to get one bottle... just depends on whom one 'pushes'..... I'll have to pick my 'battles' :D

PS, the Strath in Victoria have some Ballantines 17 in stock....
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby killerwhale » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:36 pm

thanks once more....
I have found out that I would need to order a case or go through strath and pay the transit fee.... I tried regular Ballantines and , well it was aweful.... I tried it again on another night to see if it was just a bad night for me and.... it again was not enjoyable at all..... so, I shall pass on Ballantines and look for something else... :D

I do have 3 single malts I'd like to try and I'd like to give black bush a go.... also was thinking of bourbon, perhaps wild turkey rare breed?
and I'd like to give the vatting compass box peat monster a go.... so many to try :lol:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder