Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Advice for Whisky Live New York (April)

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Advice for Whisky Live New York (April)

Postby Direwolf » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:54 am

Greetings,

It's been about six months since since I officially became a malt maniac, but I'm enjoying it thoroughly. So far, I've had the pleasure of tasting 31 different single malts and three different kentucky bourbons - currently enjoing a dram of Buffalo Trace.

Anyway, my question is, is Whisky Live worth a visit? I will be down in NYC that week, and was curious to know if it's worth the price of admission in terms of the whiskies you get to taste, and in terms of enjoyment of the expo itself? The reason I ask is because sometimes you go to expos (in different industries), and all you feel like cattle, moving from one booth to the next. :)

I was also thinking of visiting Park Avenue Liquors. I've started a small collection of island malts, can anyone reccomend an interesting malt to pickup from there? I was thinking of picking up Highland Park bottled for Whisky Live 2006. Any advice there, too?

Thanks for reading. Have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Direwolf
Direwolf

Postby MGillespie » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:51 am

The answers in this order...

Yes, yes, and yes. You'll get your money's worth IMHO, not just from the drams, but from the chance to talk with the distillers and bottlers who show up.

Park Avenue is like walking into a vault full of whiskies. Michael has hundreds of whiskies, including a bunch of store-exclusive bottlings in addition to the Highland Park Whisky Live bottling. If you're driving, you might also want to take the NJ Turnpike to exit 13 and stop by Bayway World of Liquors...another store with nearly 200 different whiskies...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:30 am

I would vote for going if you will be in town at that time, my problem with WL New York is that it is in the middle of the week.

I'm looking forward to my next job which will be in New Jersey, I keep hearing about alot of good shops.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Re: Advice for Whisky Live New York (April)

Postby emondhavi » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:20 pm

Go for the food! Great snacks and lots of it, and unlike the whisky, you can
have as much as you want.

The whiskies ... too many whiskies, too little time, too small a portion to
learn anything from the experience.

I remember most people on this forum claiming that "minis" were too small
a portion to get to know a whisky, I wonder what they'll make of the
"dash" of whisky you get at this event. It's a quantity more appropriate for
the water you add to a whisky, than for the whisky itself.

This was my first time, and I don't regret it, but I'm not sure I'll part with another $120 next year to do it again. I learned nothing about most of
the whiskies I (barely) tasted at this event. Next year, I think I'll buy
whisky with that money instead.
emondhavi

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:12 pm

emondhavi wrote:I remember most people on this forum claiming that "minis" were too small a portion to get to know a whisky, I wonder what they'll make of the "dash" of whisky you get at this event. It's a quantity more appropriate for the water you add to a whisky, than for the whisky itself.

That's a fair point Emondhavi, but I suppose it is about choosing whether to put all your chips on one number or to spread the fun about a bit. You could argue that you need a whole bottle to really know a whisky - to see it from first opening right through to the dregs, appreciating the changes as the oxygen increases in proportion to the whisky. Ideally, you'd do this on a clean palate in your own front room, perhaps with other experts beside you to compare notes. In the real world, you find yourself at Whisky Live surrounded by more whiskies that you'd like to try than you could possibly take in one sitting. Everything is a compromise - from the measure to the atmosphere to the clean palate. But on the positive side, you often get great experts to talk to, a great range to sample from, and a good idea of what to spend cash money on for the full bottle and what to avoid like the plague. And if you go to masterclasses, you just might get tantalizingly small tastes of whiskies that are in the stratospheric price range. Where else are you going to do that?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:45 am

Think of it as speed-dating.
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:24 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Think of it as speed-dating.

Ahhh... the voice of experience... "ding - time's up - next"... :wink:
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:03 am

Are the dates set yet for the coming year's event?? I'll be in New York towards the end of April and hope to join in if the dates are the same. Any others planning to join in??
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby MrAwesome » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:52 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Are the dates set yet for the coming year's event?? I'll be in New York towards the end of April and hope to join in if the dates are the same. Any others planning to join in??
According to MGILLESPIE'S website, April 2nd is the 2008 date. It was the 1st Wednesday of April last year too. I am planning to attend with a few people from our whisky tasting group. Depending on your time schedule, you might consider the SMSW Extravaganza on friday, May 9th,which is held right in mid-town, manhattan. Cheers!
MrAwesome

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:52 pm

Damn, I'll miss it! That's okay I guess, as I'll be there meeting up with my dear dad and my brother to celebrate my brother's 40th birthday!! So really it's his choice of activities. Lucky for me he's a wine and Champagne freak, so we'll be visiting some similar spots for purchases I'm sure!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder