Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

JW Green

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

JW Green

Postby ScotchPalate » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:45 pm

I had some JW Green recently, hadn't had it in a while. What a great dram. Immediately, I could taste the peppery tang of Talisker and the grassy peatiness of an Islay. There are some fainter fruity and floral notes that make it interestingly complex. Yum. Surprsingly, the box lists the 4 major components of the vatted malt. Talisker, Linkwood, Cragganmore, and Coal Ila. If you're not into blends, remember that this is vatted (all malt), give it a shot (especially if you like Talisker and Islay Malts).

SP
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:19 pm

Thanks, I'll be sure to try that at some time.
I recently had a JW Blue for the first time and was very pleasantly surprised, it too was a jolly good dram.

I am just put off from buying it because of the price tag - as good as it is, I don't believe it's worth the amount of money charged.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby shoganai » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:04 pm

JW Green is a great whisky! It's by far my favorite of the JW's. Of course, I've only ever had a single dram of JW Blue at a tasting, but relative to the lines I'm actually willing to purchase, Green is tops for me.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby jimidrammer » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 am

I've been eying a bottle of JWG lately also, but too many other purchases has put it at the bottom of a long list. :oops: Sounds very promising when I get around to making room for it.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:46 am

I'm presenting JW Green at a tasting for some malt enthusiasts in a couple of weeks.

I intend to serve it blindfolded. They'll be expecting a single malt, so I'm very keen to see their reactions! :wink:

I'll post and let you know the outcome.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:38 pm

Cool, Admiral. I'll be interested to see what they think. Let us know.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby JPYank » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:59 am

I have received the occasional 200 ml promotional bottle of Green or Gold when buying Blue as a gift at the duty free. I've yet to taste the mythical Blue itself, but the Green and Gold have certainly been verrry pleasant consolation prizes.
JPYank

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:14 am

Admiral wrote:I'm presenting JW Green at a tasting for some malt enthusiasts in a couple of weeks.

I intend to serve it blindfolded. They'll be expecting a single malt, so I'm very keen to see their reactions! :wink:

Cheers,
ADmiral

When I do blind tests for my buddies, i always throw it in as well. They usually go crazy for it. I like it, but it's not quite rebellious enough for me.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:29 am

I'm presenting JW Green at a tasting for some malt enthusiasts in a couple of weeks.

I intend to serve it blindfolded. They'll be expecting a single malt, so I'm very keen to see their reactions!

Okay...last night was the night, and I served the JW Green up blind.

It was the third whisky in the line up, having already served Glenrothes Select Reserve & Benromach Traditional (both of which were pretty poor whiskies).

Comments for the JW Green were quite favourable, with several people applauding its complexity and balance. Average score (in a group of 11 people) was around 7.5, which was pretty respectable for this particular group of discerning palates.

Not surprisingly, there was much raising of eyebrows and rolling of eyes when it was revealed that they'd just complimented a Johnnie Walker bottling! :twisted: :D

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:01 am

Bit of a stacked deck there!

I'd have done the same.
Deactivated Member

Postby killerwhale » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:25 am

I'd like to try it... though at $65 Canadian it's a bit steep... :?
I could add $8 and get Ardbeg 10.... or....$4 and get Talisker 10... or.... etc.
perhaps in a bar some day or if a friend offers it to me.... hint, hint :D :lol:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:43 am

Wow killerwhale BC prices are nuts. JWgreen is selling for 57.00 here in Ontario. I like JWblack and so tried the green and it was so so for me. I love the Gold though. MMmmmmMm I wish I had some now lol The Gold is delicious. Then you have the Blue. 229 for a blend?
For that price I could buy a bottle of Balvenie 10, Balvenie 12, and Balvenie 15. 3 delicious single malts for the same price as 1 bottle of a blend.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:02 am

yes BC prices are not very good to say the least :(
however, I like to say that we pay premium for the weather/scenery.... :P
I had this same conversation with an older gent today re: wine prices and how Alberta is sooooo much better, finished by asking him why he was in BC!!! (he moved here for the weather and lakes) seemed to tame him quite well.... funny :lol:
wish scotch prices were better though..... :?
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:21 am

I'll have to give this another taste, as I did as soon as I opened the bottle, and I think it always needs a bit of time and air.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder