Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Islay Airport

General chat and talk about whisky.

Islay Airport

Postby r900p » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:28 pm

Islay Airport, whats it like? Duty free? Good for whisky?

Also is there a hire car company operating out of the airport.

Thanks,

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:39 pm

Hi Rob ,
It's not exactly a very big Airport , Morags cafe is great , decent home cooked meals at a reasonable price !
Yes you can hire cars , buy whisky (not duty free AFAIK (Mr TH ?) .
Check out ....
http://www.hial.co.uk/islay-airport.html
Just make sure none of the HRH's are piloting the plane tho when you arrive or depart.....LOL !

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:40 am

I flew in and out of the Islay airport this last summer. Small indeed! The cafe however was nice with good food but alas no duty-free whisky sold at the airport. :cry: . Car rental isn't avail at the airport itself though the car rental place is only a short distance away. Can't tell you much about it since I opted for the bus/taxi/feet method. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:23 am

I haven't been over yet, but Christine Logan, whom worked at Bowmore before for years, and is an Islay native, comes highly recommended as the "Lady of the Isles." Check out...
http://www.ladyoftheisles.co.uk/
for details.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:18 am

As Di Blasi says, please do contact Christine Logan, she's a fantastic contact to have on Islay, and has a company arranging tours etc. on Islay.

As for the airport, I guess all has been said - it is small but very efficient and lovely in being very, very different from the large monsters such as Heathrow.

If the weather is good, the scenery one sees from the air while on approach or circling around is spectacular and very exciting to a whisky aficionado: One can spot several distilleries, admire the beautiful colour of the clear seawater contrasted by white sand beaches. Fantastic, simply fantastic!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:33 am

I've always wanted to fly into Islay. Any tips on which side of the plane to sit on? Right side in, left side out?
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder