Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

If I like Laphroaig 10.....

All your whisky related questions answered here.

If I like Laphroaig 10.....

Postby ScotchPalate » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:06 pm

I really like Laphroaig 10. Do you Laphroaig fans enjoy Lagavulin 16? Do you think a Laphroaig 10 fan would?
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Yep and Ardbeg Ten I do.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:12 pm

I haven't tried Lag 16.... a lil pricey in my neck of the woods at about $94 compared to Laph @ $55 .... have read that Lag 16 is a little more refined, not as bold but I bet it's excellent indeed.... I love Ardbeg 10 though....
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:32 pm

Many people love all three of the Kildalton malts. Some love two and hate one. Some love one and hate the other two. A lot of folks don't like any of them.

The only way to know which applies to you is to drink them.
Deactivated Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:40 pm

Lagavulin 16yo and Laphroaig 10yo both have that wave of peat that's really nice. Laga is drier and more refined. I would give it a shot.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:49 pm

And why not a Talisker 10yo! Or Ardbeg Still Young... Port Charlotte PC5 might be an alternative as well. And don't forget Caol Ila 12yo CS.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:41 am

I have spent a number of evenings with friends trying to decide which is the better--- Laphroaig or Lagavulin .
So far the only winner is the LCBO where we buy the stuff.

I lean toward the Lag as it is a wee bit smoother being a few years older.
I've sampled most of the other Islays except the Port Ellen. Ardbeg and Bruichladdich are both wonderful drams as well.
They all have that boldness that reaches out of the glass and says "Hey I'm different than those mainlanders."

Bottom line, if you can wrap your palate around a Laphroaig you find another Islay you'll like easy enough.

What's the worst that can happen...you end up liking Laphroaig the best. :)
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:52 am

Many people love all three of the Kildalton malts. Some love two and hate one. Some love one and hate the other two.

Interesting. Every Islay lover I know (and believe me, I speak with a lot of them) loves all three. I've yet to hear anyone tell me that there's one (or two) of the Kildalton three that they don't enjoy.

Still, I know several people have posted on these pages that they enjoy one but not another, so diversity rules, right?! :)

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:20 am

Admiral wrote:I've yet to hear anyone tell me that there's one (or two) of the Kildalton three that they don't enjoy.

Still, I know several people have posted on these pages that they enjoy one but not another....

Are you not contradicting yourself here? Or are you simply distinguishing between in-person and forum opinions?

There have been many posters here who have said that they don't care for Lagavulin, or Ardbeg, or Laphroaig, and that's what I based my statement on. Personally, at one time I loved Lagavulin and hated Laphroaig; of late, I enjoy Laphroaig and find Lagavulin difficult. There is no doubt that, if you like one of these, you are more likely to enjoy the others; but it is no sure thing. The true beauty of the three Kildalton malts is that, no matter how often they are lumped together as birds of a feather, they are distinct whiskies, each with its own characteristics that may be loved or reviled. ScotchPalate may find some statistical significance in Laphroaig fans' appreciation (or lack thereof) for Lagavulin, and he may even make a purchasing decision based on the probabilities derived therefrom. But there is no way to predict for certain whether he will like the stuff; he can only answer that by trying it for himself. I would like to encourage everyone to try everything available, and come to his own conclusions, rather than depend on the judgment of others. I understand that some people have limited budgets, and don't want to be stuck with bottles they don't like, but at some point you have to make the leap. Even a bad bottle is an education, and sometimes what seems a bad bottle becomes an appreciated one as it goes along. (It still has alcohol in it, anyway.) The point is to gain experience, and broaden your knowledge. You can't do that by letting someone tell you that you won't like Lagavulin. If you're thinking about it, go for it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:27 am

Are you not contradicting yourself here? Or are you simply distinguishing between in-person and forum opinions?

Yes, I was distinguishing between my own personal conversations with Islay lovers, and the opinions I see expressed here on these pages.

Picky. :wink:

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:44 am

Well as the admiral says diversity rules.
I don`t personly like any of them Lagavullin (the first singel malt I ever tasted) drinkable and partially enjoyable, Ardbeg drinkable laphroaig to me not drinkable the only whisky I have ever tasted and didn`t drink up.
I think there are some similarites but yet they are very different.
Hm why do I like ledaig 1972 vintage it`s heavily peated ,we have some others that are not islays too f ex Ben riach Autenticus , Ardmore (GmPh) I think I have to do a study of this and find out. :)
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:28 am

"Laphroaig to me not drinkable the only whisky I have ever tasted and didn`t drink up. " - Ann-Helen

"Old socks" was it not?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:15 pm

Yes those old socks ! :)
I was actually trying not to be "mean" for once .
Since a lot of you love laphroaig and I obviously don`t I was restraining my self from going down that road .
But I love kidding around about it ,I tease my husband about it everytime he gets a dram of it.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:19 pm

I don't want to go off thread here but I took my medicine last night and slept really well. Laphroaig Ahhhhh.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:32 pm

If all this has done nothing but confuse you can I suggest Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

But to answer your question - yes. As a Laphroaig fan I like Lagavulin 16.
Last edited by Paul A Jellis on Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:50 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing, it helps. Here in AZ Lag 16 goes for around $95 :shock: :x :x &^%#$@*! I wanted to ask a bit before I invested in a bottle. Although Paul brings up a good point, sooner or later, I must get the Quarter-Cask.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:57 pm

To furthur confuse things: As a Lagavulin fan i was knocked out by Laphroaig 10, and then bowled over by the 'old' Bowmore 12 and Darkest...then arrested by Ardbeg 10 and 17, and latterly by Lagavulin 12, and Laphroaig QC.

As Les Taylor (or Homer Simpson) would say: "Laphroaig! aaaaahh!"

As Anne-Helen would say: "Laphroaig! aaaarrgghh!"
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:13 am

ScotchPalate

The Bevmo in Chandler has it for $70. I believe they will ship within AZ as well but I don't know the cost of shipping but it would probably still be cheaper then $95.

Also while I like Ardbeg 10 and Laph 10, my fav is Lagavulin 16.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby arkle » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am

Why not try Laphroaig 10 cask strength,simply divine,smoothrich creamy and a certain sweetness,what more could you wish for!!
arkle
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder