Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

100 pipers

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

100 pipers

Postby homer j » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:25 pm

i just tried my first scotch,it was 100 pipers and i was bit disapointed in it's overall taste, if felt like it lacked something like it had no bite, i hope my next choice is better, my only experience is irish whiskies so maybe i'm spoilt :) .
by the way come on ireland on sat in murray field
homer j

Postby vitara7 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:31 pm

being honest with you, 100 pipers isnt that god a whisky to intorduce you to scotch whisky, try a malt whisky for the true taste of scotch whisky, youll notice the diffrence....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:38 pm

Homer J,
welcome to the forum and I am sorry your first Scotch experience didn't live up to expectations.
As you already like Irish whiskey, may I ask which ones you have tried so that we can get an idea of your preferred tastes and maybe recommend something more suitable.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:40 pm

go for a balblair 10yo or 16yo if you can find it, cheap and very chearful
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby homer j » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:42 pm

jameson 12yr
red breast 12yr
black bush
midleton
homer j

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:52 pm

Some bottlings which come immediately to mind and which would offer you various insights are:

Bruichladdich Waves - 7 years old. A lively and spicy but fruity whisky.
Bruichladdich Links series - 14 years old - not so spicy but very fruity.
Bruichladdich 10 / 12 / 15

Dalwhinnie 15y

Glen Garioch 8y (if you can get it) or 10y

Glenlivet 12y

Glenmorangie 10y

Isle of Jura 10y

Regards,
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:04 pm

As others have stated, your start with Scotch was an unfortunate one - 100 Pipers is an inexpensive blended bulk whisky which does not really represent anything else.

In general the palate of Scotch is different, and often stronger than Irish. If you are interested in trying blended Scotch only, I would say a quality blend is Johnnie Walker Black Label - but do not expect it to taste like Irish whiskey. Another is Chival Regal, this one is less powerful.

Then there are the single malt whiskies, and in them the variety of flavours in incredibly broad.

I enjoy Redbreast immensely, and Black Bush is rather nice. Similarly I do enjoy different versions of Balvenie for example, or Dalwhinnie double matured distiller's edition. Rosebank is a lovely soft and delightful Lowland malt, and is actually triple distiller much like the Irish whiskeys. Highland Park 12yo is a lovely whisky in its own right, and Glenfarclas 12yo is a fab sherried whisky.

If you have tried and liked an Irish whiskey called Connemara, perhaps you will enjoy also Talisker for example.

Enjoy sampling!!
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:53 pm

homer j this is advice that many of the guys give here, and that is to read through the F A Q's section find a thread that interests you. You will be amazed at what you pick up. If you stay with it enjoy the journey.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder