Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky shops in Glasgow

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Whisky shops in Glasgow

Postby Scotchio » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:45 pm

A friend from Sweden has asked me to recommend some whisky shops for a visit to Glasgow. Any suggestions?
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:55 pm

in the centre of glasgow you have thewhiskyshop in bucannan galleries, just round the corner there are two oddbinshops, theres a shops just off bucannastreet called global whisky shop, hers a couple fo tourist kilt style shops that have the odd bottle in it and then there was graham robertson just off the main square part, dont know if it ever re-opened due to fire damage or not.

thats all i know of, there may be more in the centre.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:04 pm

Thanks vitara7, I'll try to remember those the next time I'm in Glasgow. Last June I had a heck of a time trying to find any whisky shops there! I looked for 1 that I'd been to a couple of years before, I think it was the Graham Robertson (near Queen Street Station?) where I had found a very nice selection of OMC's and other nice bottlings. What I found there this last June was a bombed-out looking shell. :cry:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:07 pm

yeh wave it got burned out, whole tenement building did.
they have another shop in rose street in edinburgh (the street that runs parallel but just behind princess street
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:41 am

If he/she is flying in thru Prestwick, the whiskyshop at the airport is brilliant. Lot's of good stuff ther. And OK priced as well...
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:21 pm

vitara7 wrote:yeh wave it got burned out, whole tenement building did.
they have another shop in rose street in edinburgh (the street that runs parallel but just behind princess street

Damn!!!! That's the one street I didn't go to while in Edinburgh this last summer and I usually do when I'm there, there's some good pubs and restaurants on that street. After my jaunt from Waverly Station to Cadenheads then up to Royal Mile and then down and around to TWS and around the castle to Princess St. to the other TWS left me a bit pooped. How far is it from Jenners?

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:27 pm

ok, from jenners its at the far side of rose street, as if you were walking all the way along princess street, its at that end of rose street
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:30 pm

in edinburgh theres also the whisky heritage centre on royal mile, also a wee crappy shop up the top that sells tourist whisky, and another whsky shop just next to haymarket train station.

theres also a few odbins about and a few shops like peckams around the subs.

there is valvona and corollas down leath walk, and the new harvey nics has a few bottleson the top floor.

if your ever in edinburgh and have a car, visit a wine shop called raeburns wines in rareburn terrace and ask for a bloke called zubair, he has a lot of whisky in his shop and has his own range, "the bottlers"
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:25 pm

I stayed at the university Pollock Halls, (next to the olympic swimming pool i think), when i went up on a uni trip.

The main road into the city centre had an excellent deli which had a large selection, very impressed.

On the Glasgow front i wish i'd thought of such a post before xmas, as i was up there and got hopelesly lost looking for whisky shops i found an oddbins and the whiky shop in the galleries i think it was.

Just have to go up again.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:26 pm

Sorry just to make it clear Pollock halls is Edinburgh.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder