Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

arran edition, anyone seen it?

General chat and talk about whisky.

arran edition, anyone seen it?

Postby vitara7 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:15 pm

i was in a shop today and i seen a bottle of arran in a wooden box with a certificate etc. it was a robert burns bottle. has anyone seen this edition or know of anywhere else it can be bought?
the reason i ask is ive never seen the robert burns bottling in this packaging before, its the tall normal robert burns bottle.

arran is not sothing i tend to collect, its just that i havent seen it beofre so was hopeing someone could shed some light on it.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:12 am

Hi there,

http://www.maltmadness.com/arran.html

July 11, 2004

Arran NAS ‘Robert Burns’ (40%, OB) A special release, paying tribute to Robert Burns, who’s birthplace isn’t very far from Arran, although on the mainland. Colour: white wine. Nose: very spirity (pear drops), with some ‘caramelised’ peat. A little grainy, getting even grassy. Mouth: pear eau de vie. Quite fruity! Some woody notes but not too many. Quite nutty. Rather long finish, getting peppery. A good, clean and simple whisky. 78 points (Davin 74, Olivier 74).

http://www.whiskyfun.com/ArchiveJuly04.html#110704

it seems to be the first limited release after Arran secured permission from the Robert Burns Federation to use the name of the bard.
The connection with Arran is that Burns was working his fathers fields on the mainland and probably now and than looked over the waters towards Arran.

What is in that bottle must be young as Arran opened in 1995 and the limited edition was bottled in 2001 already and nobody says that that malt was distilled in the first year of production.

Marketing, marketing. But if you want to buy one of those, some retailers here in Germany still stock it but at the moment they are reluctant to ship spirits abroad.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:38 am

cheers for that info.

how much are they charging in germany for the wooden boxed version?
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:50 pm

Hi vitara7,
The Arran Robert Burns bottling is sold at Vintages/LCBO. It is one of the regular stocked items. I double checked the packaging last night when I was there. It is sold in the cardboard box. I have not seen it sold in the wooden box with a certificate that you have described. (I know this message is not particularly informative, more of "neighbourhood FYI' memo.)
Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:02 pm

cheers wendy, ive seen the one in the cardboard box, sells over here for £21, its just when i seen this one for £55 i wondered if anyone knew about it as i know hee haw about arran...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:14 pm

V7 wrote:-

i wondered if anyone knew about it as i know hee haw about arran...

Hi V7 what's a hee haw?

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:18 pm

Hello,
I have also not had a lot of tasting experience with Arran whisky. I was very pleased to participate in an Arran Masterclass at the VWF in which we sampled: Arran 10 yo, Arran 100% & Arran Calvados Finish. A few years ago, I did sample the Robert Burns bottling at a Toronto Whisky Festival and at a private tasting. With your vast collection, I think there may be a bottling or two that you would oneday like to add. I was very pleased with what I tasted at the masterclass. The Arran 100%, in particular, stands out.

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:22 pm

i was thinking on getting it as i only have an arran first in the collection, not exciting i know, but i just basicly want to know if £55 is a good price for this boxed edition or not. and if not where can i get it cheaper.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:24 pm

les taylor wrote:what's a hee haw?

:)

hee haw = have nothing or know nothing.

i think its dundonian in origin.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:46 pm

ive found a "picture " of the bottling im on about, i say picture as its bloody small...

http://www.world-of-whisky.ch/resized_bottles/75.png
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:47 pm

and its for £79 + shipping
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder