Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Great Whisky Shops of the World

General chat and talk about whisky.

Great Whisky Shops of the World

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:40 pm

On a similar vein to 'Great Whisky Bars of the World', I thought it would be helpful, certainly to me, to find out where some of the great whisky shops are. It would be such a shame to be somewhere in the world and not realise there was an interesting little whisky shop just around the corner!

To kick things off I'll mention Constantine Stores in Constantine, Cornwall. A fantastic Aladins cave of all things alcoholic, not just whisky but rum, vodka, cognac etc. This is from their website:

A family business for over 48 years, Constantine Stores in the tiny village of Constantine, just six miles from Falmouth, draws customers to its doors from all over the country. Home to one of the largest ranges of wines and spirits in the South-West, this remarkable shop should be on the itinerary of all lovers of grape and grain.

Shop opening Times:
Monday to Saturday 9am to 5.30pm (closed for lunch 1 to 2pm)
Sunday 9.30am to 12pm.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

great whisky shops

Postby richard » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:05 pm

im afraid i am not a big fan of constantine stores not the shop but the owner

i like to go to the whisky exchange not for its ambiance but for its selection of whiskys i havent been to the new shop that opened

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby r900p » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:21 pm

Paul,

whats their website been on and all i get is a local parish page.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

shops

Postby richard » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:33 pm

i think if you look under drinksfinder i hope this helps

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:54 pm

Yes, it's http://www.drinkfinder.co.uk

Richard, I know exactly what you mean, it's not the warm welcome that you get at places like Loch Fyne, but as we spend quite a bit of time in Cornwall it's very handy for me and they do have a very good selection of whiskies, but I do often come away feeling that something was missing. So I will recommend them as somewhere to shop if your in the area, but don't expect a typical Cornish welcome or a convivial host.

I hope this will not stop others from telling us about any whisky shops they have in their area or they find when they are out and about.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby r900p » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:09 pm

Okay been away thinking of this one, and still for me it has to be Wright wine and whisky, skipton, north yorkshire, http://www.wineandwhisky.co.uk.

Thanks Richard and Paul i'll have a look at drinksfinder.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:27 am

I'll second Wright Wine in Skipton, although it's worth noting that their prices are on the high side. Regular candy store, though.
Deactivated Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:57 am

I have to mention the Whisky Shop in San Francisco, CA. They're not peatheads by any means, but they carry lots of good stuff along those lines, such as Laphroaig 30yo and lots of Port Ellens. But their Speyside collection is truly stunning and their recommendations and proprietary bottlings have been flawless.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby r900p » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:12 pm

I find the Wright Wine and whisky certainly cheaper than royal mile, whisky exchange and whisky-online, plus there new collector to collector area is working very well, most bottles only seem to be in the shop for a week before they are bought.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:03 pm

Another one from San Francisco, Ca. is D&M Wines & Liquors. With a large selection of single malts and other fine spirits they also feature 2 single malt clubs known as the Single Malt Connoisseurs' Club & Single Malt Aficionados Club as well as Armagnac Inner Circle, Calvados Inner Core, Champagne Society and Cognac Inner Circle clubs.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:49 pm

r900p wrote:I find the Wright Wine and whisky certainly cheaper than royal mile, whisky exchange and whisky-online, plus there new collector to collector area is working very well, most bottles only seem to be in the shop for a week before they are bought.

Rob

I suppose it will depend on what you are buying. For standard stuff, RMW seems to beat Wright on price in almost every case--of the ones I picked out at random, below, only Ardbeg 10 is lower at Wright (and the other Ardbegs were more in line with the other malts):

RMW/Wm Wright
Talisker 10 £29.95/31.95
Talisker 18 £37.50/42.95
Rosebank RM 1981 £69.95/86.95
Ardbeg 10 £28.99/27.50
Laphroaig QC £23.99/29.95
Lagavulin 16 £37.99/40.95

Of course, if you are ordering for delivery, shipping charges will be another matter. Wright will despatch 1 to 6 bottles for £8.50 within the UK. For six bottles, RMW quotes £17.00, but they also deduct VAT, so I think they think I am asking for delivery to the US. Perhaps someone in the UK can confirm their charges.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mustardhead » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:56 pm

RMW charge £7.70 for most orders in the UK, it's what I've been charged on between 4 and 8 bottles at a time.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:29 pm

That's £17.00 per bottle at RMW (same as LFW) shipping to the US Mr. T

...and unfortunately Wright wine and whisky doesn't ship outside of the UK. :cry:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:48 pm

I just had a look at the drinkfinder website. They certainly have a comprehensive selection. Their delivery is only £6.95 for up to 12 bottles. Has it been a good experience to deal with them?

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby r900p » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:51 pm

I guess i stand corrected.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:14 pm

i live not to far from RMW but i rather pay more elsewhere and get orders exactly as i request them than from RMW.

i tend to put ll my whisky shop business loch fynes way and you get exactly how and what you ask for.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:14 pm

Les, I've shopped with drinkfinder online - the service was excellent, and I got the goods I wanted without any hassle or problems on both times. They answer questions about details as well without any issues.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mustardhead » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:17 am

A word for my local shop, Phoenix Fine Drinks in Gloucester. The owner is Tim Errock, a stalwart of the UK drinks trade ... Oddbins, World of Whisky and Millroys at one time or another. Give the man a call on 01452 301223 and ask if he's got a bottle of Loch Dhu :twisted:

He always has something interesting on taste (okay, quite a few somethings) and he organises several tastings each year, as well as outings to Whisky Live and breweries.

The shop has lots of interesting single malts, local beers, even local wine and cider as well as the usual odd stuff like liqueurs and other spirits.

The shop is in College Court, near Gloucester Cathedral, an excellent location. I can recommend a visit, and I do visit, all too often!
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby The Dazzler » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:42 am

Mustardhead,

is this the same Tim who worked for Potstill before their demise?? Does he have some Loch Dhu? Is this from the same store as Potstill used to be and does he still have a large selection of Irish whiskey??

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:43 am

On rare visits to London I always enjoy the Vintage House on Old Compton St. I'm always offered something fine to sample, and more than a sip...

Was thus seduced into buying a 16 YO "Vintage house" Macallan to celebrate the birth of my daughter 2 years ago...and which was being drunk in my studio when the term "bleggae" was coined by an american guitarist friend who was enjoying both the dram and my reggae take on Hendrix...so fond memories.

I enjoy dreaming and drroling over the locked glass cabinet t the back...in which no whisky retails for less than a few hundred quid, and in the centre of which, in dusty box, sits Black Bowmore!!

I always deal with Keith. They seem especially generous on a friday afternoon...weekend approaching, and loose with the samples.

Told a story on another thread about my escapades a week last Friday...involving as many samples of the delicious new Bowmore 18 as I dared to pour myself(among other rare delights) and a pretty italian waitress who dropped in from the restaurant next door to brazenly ask for a bottle of ...Bells!

...at which three slightly inebriated whisky connoisseurs chorussed "Bells!?!" in loud, incredulous unison, and almost fell over laughing...

Poor girl didn't know what to think...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:37 am

The Dazzler wrote:Mustardhead,
is this the same Tim who worked for Potstill before their demise?? Does he have some Loch Dhu? Is this from the same store as Potstill used to be and does he still have a large selection of Irish whiskey??
Slainte

Yes, the same Tim. He no longer works for Potstill, he is now self employed. Same premises and a different stock.

A range of Irish whiskies but not huge. I assume he's expanding it but it's not really my thing so I don't look ;) Want me to check?

As for the Loch Dhu, I just think it's worth winding him up :D
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:19 am

It's interesting the diffferent experiences eveyone has had with different companies. For instance RMW has always been good for me. Never any trouble. Thanks for the comments about drinkfinder I will use them in the future.

Its interesting that apart from the small price printing with the Vat element to the cost of a bottle. I have not seen anything bad said about LFW.

Does having a good website make a good whisky shop?

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:11 pm

Close to my other home, Hi Time Cellars in Costa Mesa, CA has some of the best prices I've seen. Last time I was there, they were selling Lagavulin 16yo for $50 a piece.

They also have a great collection of indie bottlings and all the OBs you could hope for.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:05 pm

My regular haunt is Cadenhead's in London.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:51 am

Binny's Berverage Depot - http://www.binnys.com/
Sam's Wines and Spirits - http://www.samswine.com/
D&M Wines and Liquors - http://www.dandm.com/
K&L Wine Merchants - http://www.klwines.com/
Park Avenue Liquor - http://www.parkaveliquor.com/

LA area:
Wine and Liquor Depot - http://www.wineandliquordepot.com/ (don't go by the website, better to call for prices and selection)
Mission Liquor - http://missionliquors.com/
Hi-Time Wine Cellars - http://www.hitimewine.net/
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder