Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Six Isles

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : The Six Isles

The Six Isles

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:45 pm

The Six Isles Pure Island Malt Scotch Whisky Uisge Beatha 43% William Maxwell

For some reason this vatted malt called out to me from one of the bottom shelves in the shop the other day. I've been curious to try some of the available vattings, particularly the smoky ones but my eye is always drawn away a single I've coveted or read about on the forum. I popped in to pay for my seat at the forthcoming tasting and it was still calling out to me so out of the wallet came £22.50.

Terry was curious too so I cracked the bottle there and then, out came a couple of glasses from behind the counter and wow! What a wonderfully balanced dram! There's a lot in there, smoke, sweetness, very gentle tar, vanilla and cereal but nothing dominates.

I can't find this referred to on FAQs. There is a Six Isles vatting by Ian Macleod mentioned on one thread but the poster mentions the obvious presence of Ardbeg in there and I don't think there's Ardbeg in this (though I could easily be wrong, Jim Murray rates it a 94 so there may well be an Ardbeg influence I am missing...)

Has anyone else tried this? Does anyone know what's in it? (I've worked out the Jura, Talisker, Tobermory and Arran...) Is this the same as the Ian Macleod version? Where has this been all my life? Are there any other vattings this good?
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:29 pm

I've had the Six Isles many times and quite like it, it's a great dram whatever the constituant malts are. It's well priced also.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby kallaskander » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:43 am

Hi there,

William Maxwell is a subsidary of Ian Macleod.

The Six Isles has too much Arran in it for my taste as that was proabably the cheapest bulk malt they could find at the time. Young too it was.

As there should be at least one Islay malt in it which, conceded could be unpeated, there should be Talisker to be found but only one cask opposed to 99 others without peat.
For me the Six Ilses does nothing, it lacks oomph and islandish character. Very fine for a Speyside blend, though!

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:43 am

It's a nice drop, but I think it's over-rated. I certainly don't get as excited by it as some others do...notably Jim Murray.

I agree with Kallaskander....if you told me it was a good Speyside blend, I'd believe you! :wink:

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : The Six Isles

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder