Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenlivet Nadurra or Macallan Cask Strength?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : The Glenlivet Nadurra

Glenlivet Nadurra or Macallan Cask Strength?

Postby afviper » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:20 am

I am having trouble deciding the differences between these two bottles. It seems there are a couple different Glenlivet Nadurra bottles, one is 48%, I am looking at one that is 114.4 proof, and 16 years. The Macallan is Sherry Oak Cask and 116.4 proof, not the 10 year CS, and not the one with the solid red label, it just has a thick red stripe in the middle of the label that says Cask Strength.

Since there is more than one version for each of these whiskies I have had trouble determining if the tasting notes I have been reading are for the correct versions. This site has tasting notes for a Glenlivet 16 CS 56.6%, and for the Nadurra 48%, not sure if either of these are the bottle I am looking for.

If you have tasted either of these, or both please let me know what they are like, and how they compare to each other. I am looking for a whisky with a thick body, almost chewy, and it seems this is the direction to go on a budget. Both the Macallan, and Glenlivet are $50 so there is no price difference. I know there are going to be people that suggest Aberlour a’bunadh, but the cheapest I can get it is $64, I prefer to keep the price down around $50.

Also, if it matters I am fairly new to Whisky and have only had Highland Park 12, Laphroaig 10, and Blavenie 12.
afviper

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:43 am

Unless you are keen to have a sherry monster, I'd say go for the Nadurra. The cask strength version sold in the US is exactly what you describe--thick and chewy. The texture of it is exactly what I love most in whisky.
Deactivated Member

Postby afviper » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:27 am

So the 48% version reviewed on this site is the regular, non Cask Strength version not offered in the U.S.
afviper

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:57 am

Yes, for some reason it's 48% in the UK. That one's nice enough, as I recall, and I'm sure that some who don't like taking their cask strengths neat will prefer it.
Deactivated Member

Postby The Fachan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:10 am

With Nadurra the 48% version is a travel retail exclusive, the 57.2% version is for sale in domestic markets as when it becomes available, the US being one of those markets already with it.
Glenlivet 56.6% is a cask strength bottling available in distillery shops only. Nadurra is a batch probuct so the strength will vary by 0.2 to 0.3% every batch.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby RufusA » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:11 pm

Any news on when the Nadurra will be coming to retailers in it's home territory in either version?

I took rather a shine to it at WL!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:35 pm

The Fachan wrote:With Nadurra the 48% version is a travel retail exclusive....

Thanks for correction. I guess that's where I'd seen it.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:41 pm

They're totally different. Get both. Which do I prefer ? The Glenlivet, but you may not.

Everyone should drink at least 1 litre of Macallan CS.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:21 pm

Is there a reason you are choosing just these 2, did you like the HP 12 or the Laphroaig? The Nadurra and Macallan will be on opposite sides of the Balvenie but similar, with the Nadurra being less sherried and the Macallan being more sherried, I'm guessing you liked the flavor profile for Balvenie then in which case you may want to try the 15 yr old, I can get it in Ohio for under $50.00 and it is a great dram as well, just thought I would add a twist to the conversation.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Re: Glenlivet Nadurra or Macallan Cask Strength?

Postby Mandurra » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:36 pm

I can't speak to the cask strength Macallan because it's not available in my area but I recently drove to Georgia in order to purchase some Nadurra.

I think there is a great deal of confusion on Nadurra because it is a pure Scotch, none of the sherry, Bourbon overtones so common in many single malts. I especially deplore the taste of bourbon in Scotch, for me, it is an insult to the taste of Scotch and a complete turn-off and denotes a woeful period in the casking of Scotch whiskey. Sherry casks a far more historically acceptable and for enahnces rather than clashes in the manner of bourbon sour mash.

For me Nadurra and it's use of first-filled oak for aging sets a great standard for the true taste of Scotch. With it's high proofage I especially like to have it as a second drink after another Scotch. True it has a bit of a burn but I like that because it has a huge, long lasting finish. I can't bring myself to dilute this wonderful Scotch.

It doesn't have the peat overtone of many single malts but features a more wine-like, cognac-like nose and finish and despite some reviewers calling it one-dimensional I think it has one of the most complex flavors of any Scotch and has now become my standard for comparison.

I presently have a 56.2, 57.2 and 59.2 in stock. I love preceding Nadurra with a wonderfully peaty Laphroaig. Perhaps some might call Nadurra a dessert Scotch, and I might agree with that because I love dessert as dinner sometimes!

:angel: jzirc
Mandurra

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:53 pm

For textural richness in a Sherry casked whisky, the Cask Strength Macallan is hard to beat (unless, of course, we're talking a'bunadh!). It's a tad surly as it pours, though. And I much prefer it with a drop or two of water, as this helps to soften and open up the malt. By the way, I generally like cask strength whiskies at full throttle.

As for the Natural Cask Strength Glenlivet Nadurra, I think it's a simply sensational and very unique whisky. The sheer breadth and clarity of that hallmark Glenlivet complexity that emerges on the palate is beautiful to behold. Definitely my choice of the two.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Re:

Postby Lucas » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:54 pm

RufusA wrote:Any news on when the Nadurra will be coming to retailers in it's home territory in either version?

It's available from serious retailers in it's home territory - Scotland 8)
South of the border, no clue about that. But you can buy it online and they will ship it to you.
http://www.scotchwhiskyshop.co.uk/
It's worth the hassle cause it's a lovely dram. I like it much better than Macallan CS. Had it in the Glenlivet last year and fell in love;)

Good luck!
Lucas

Postby Lucas » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:02 pm

Yeah, thet's right! I saw it there actually.
Lucas

Postby jazz lover » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:23 pm

For my money Nadurra.
Macallan c.s has too much sulfur :yuk:
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:38 pm

I find them too different to chose a favourite. I love the Nadurra for its light and fruity character - yet I love the Macallan for its sherry and "european oak character" , and find it much better than most of the A'bunadhs I've tried.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Bruichladdict » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:53 pm

Mandurra wrote:I think there is a great deal of confusion on Nadurra because it is a pure Scotch, none of the sherry, Bourbon overtones so common in many single malts. I especially deplore the taste of bourbon in Scotch, for me, it is an insult to the taste of Scotch and a complete turn-off and denotes a woeful period in the casking of Scotch whiskey. Sherry casks a far more historically acceptable and for enahnces rather than clashes in the manner of bourbon sour mash.

For me Nadurra and it's use of first-filled oak for aging sets a great standard for the true taste of Scotch. With it's high proofage I especially like to have it as a second drink after another Scotch. True it has a bit of a burn but I like that because it has a huge, long lasting finish. I can't bring myself to dilute this wonderful Scotch.

I presently have a 56.2, 57.2 and 59.2 in stock. I love preceding Nadurra with a wonderfully peaty Laphroaig. Perhaps some might call Nadurra a dessert Scotch, and I might agree with that because I love dessert as dinner sometimes!

:angel: jzirc

Well, first of all, the Nadurra is 100% matured in ex-Bourbon barrels...so it turns out you DO like bourbon overtones in your scotch. Secondly, I'm surprised that you can taste any of the delicate flavours of the Nadurra after a Laphroaig, the peat and tar would stick to your tongue like tar and feathers. To each their own though!
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby Wave » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:55 am

Mandurra wrote:I love preceding Nadurra with a wonderfully peaty Laphroaig.

Which is also aged in ex-Bourbon barrels. :roll:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:03 am

I've often found that standard Laphroaig 10 is a great "palate cleanser!"

One time my dad called from \Switzerland to say he just didn't "get" Dalwhinnie.

I suggested he have a small L10 first. He rang back the next day:"You're a genius! Ilove the Dalwhinnie!"

P.S. I have had both Nadurras. \Excellent. I love the "naked" flavours of these types of casks. Glen Moray have provided me with a couple too!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:59 am

A nice oily malty cask-strength unchillfiltered whisky like Nadurra always tastes wonderful after a peat monster.
Deactivated Member

Related whiskies : The Glenlivet Nadurra

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder