Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Campbeltown Loch 25 year old

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Campbeltown Loch 25 Years Old

Campbeltown Loch 25 year old

Postby yangbrucey » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:34 pm

I recently tried Campbeltown Loch 25 year old at a tasting event and was really impressed by it's quality. I rate it as one of the best whiskies I've ever tasted. I believe it contains 1968 Ardbeg and 40 year old grain whisky amongst others. Does anyone have any more information on it?
I've hunted without much success for some bottles as it's no longer in production, so does anyone know where it can be bought, or indeed have some bottles they could sell me? Cheers.
yangbrucey

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:51 pm

You are correct that it isn't generally available any more, I found this information from RMW after a Google search:

"Campbeltown Loch 25 year old was a great success, thanks to the quality whiskies that helped to make up the blend. Now unavailable, the 21 year old takes it place, and has plenty of fans. An excellent house blend from the home of Springbank."
Deactivated Member

Postby r900p » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:42 pm

I've got the 21 sitting at home waiting to try it. Was hesitant in buying a blend but royal mile twisted my arm. I haven't actually checked whats in this, i just hope something nice.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Mike Ralston » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:05 pm

I got a bottle of the 25yo a couple of years ago from Cadenheads' shop at the bottom of the Royal Mile. It might be worth giving them a ring (0131 556 5864) to see if they have any left...

Best of luck
Mike Ralston

Postby yangbrucey » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:51 pm

Thanks Mike, unfortunately Cadenheads don't have any now.
But I bought a bottle of the 21 year old from them a few weeks ago and tried it against the 25 year old (a couple of mates and I bid for and won the remaining 1/3 of the bottle at the tasting). The 21 year old is exceptional as well - I don't think you can get a better whisky for £25. I usually take my whisky with about 1/3 water, but I find the 21 year old is so smooth I don't need any water.
The 25 year old is a bit darker and has more sherry and a bit more depth of flavours. At the tasting it was compared against 4 other 25 year olds including Springbank, Port Ellen and Talisker (all distillers standard bottlings), and a fair number of the people there thought the Campbeltown Loch was the best.
I've heard the 21 year old will be withdrawn soon and replaced with a 15 year old - this is a real shame as it's wonderful stuff - nectar.
I would advise everyone to try the 21 year old while it's still available.
yangbrucey

Postby mikeymad » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:17 pm

I just finished off my third bottle of the 25yo. And I probably will not see it again. I had bought one, as soon as it was empty, I had another one on hand. And then I bought the last one at the market, becuase I thought that it would be the last chance to get it. And so far it has been, and I miss it. I have been seeing the 21yo around, but at even a higher price point. So, I have not been tempted yet.

I remember there being a lot of variations as to what was in it, from very old Highland Parks, to various Speysides... I never got a definitive list of the mix.

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mike Ralston » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:29 pm

The Campeltown 21yo is about to be withdrawn? !!!

I'd better buy a case next time I'm in Edin...

Thanks for the info!
Mike Ralston

Postby r900p » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:25 pm

Whys the 21 being relplaced i thought it had only just replaces the 25?
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby yangbrucey » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:37 pm

No idea why 21 year old is being withdrawn. Mate of mine was in contact with Springbank Distillery looking for 25 year old, and they told him the 15 year old would be replacing the 21 year old soon.
yangbrucey

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:28 am

Only a guess, but I'd hazard that it's for the same reason the 25 was withdrawn--its constituent parts are no longer available. These aren't Doritos.
Deactivated Member

Postby Leither » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:25 pm

I picked up another bottle of CL 21yo from Loch Fyne Whiskies at the weekend and they were telling me that Springbank have repackaged it and are now selling it for £10 more.

Now that I know how to use images (from another helpful thread) here it is all re-packaged:

Now available online from Springbank Distillers - think I'll stick to the naked version available elsewhere.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:36 pm

Hi Leither I just had a look at it at LFW. Does it come with the green packaging or is that the backdrop you supplied? Nice picture by the way.

:)
les taylor

Postby Leither » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:47 pm

My pic above is from the online shop http://www.springbankdistillers.com/

Elsewhere, for example from RMW and LFW, it comes without the box and is great stuff for the price of around £25.

Also, talking of LFW and blends, I would recommend the Loch Fyne Blend as a good dram (if you like good quality blends) - the B&B I stayed in at the weekend had a complimentary decanter of the stuff in the lounge, but maybe it just tasted nicer as it was free :wink:
Leither
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:01 pm

Nice one Leither. The Loch Fyne blend is alright to. Anyone who has been into lfw will know this.

:)
les taylor

Related whiskies : Campbeltown Loch 25 Years Old

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder