Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Rum casks?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Rum casks?

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:47 pm

Can you easily find the rum character in a rum cask finished whisky?
I can't help but being a little sceptic as (outside the "french" areas of the carribean) most (aged) rum is matured in ex-bourbon casks. So what do you really taste? Rum given character from bourbon giving character to whisky?

I've only once tasted a rum cask finished whisky and that was a very good Ardbeg from OMC. The distillery character was very present but there was something else to it, but I wonder if we sometimes find what we set out to find in the first place? Not trying to play devils advocate here but what are your opinions?
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:57 pm

I have recently a few drams of Glenfiddich Havana Reserve and I did detect some rum or molasses on the nose.
As for the palate, it was initially sweet with some rich apricot flavours and almost as if the apricots had been marinated in something, perhaps rum. But certainly not a clear rum flavour.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby dapa » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:21 pm

Well, my humble opinion is this: Given that the original flavour is quite different than the "finish" cask you will taste it more. However, they can't be too far apart. I agree that the Ardbeg on rum wood is easy to taste and a reason for that might be that smoke actually adds a little sweetness - especially on the nose (try to recall a bonfire with wet wood).

That said I feel that the better wood finishes I've tasted are the ones that enhance a flavour that might not be the most obvious one in the original whisky. For example Ardbeg+rum, Caol Ila + cognac (enhances the pear and citrus) Springbank + rum (enhances the dried fruit on the nose and palate)

Then again I might just be too academic about this - how about I just shut up and drink? :roll:
dapa

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:09 pm

Thanks for your answers MT and Dapa - I think you both fully answered the question. You both mention "marinated apricot" and "dried fruit" and that reminds me of the pickled fruit-quality I find in rum + molasses of course.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Mustardhead » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:44 am

Some of the Douglas Laing rum-finished whiskies belt you in the face with the rum flavour before you get to explore the underlying flavours.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:02 am

The only rum-finished malts I can recall having in the last few years were the Glenfiddich 21yo, the Cragganmore DE, the Balvenie Rum Cask, and the Glenmorangie Port Wood.

I recall all three having a certain spiciness and bite that I attributed to rum-wood influence. All but the Glenfiddich had an interesting sweet dimension that was very yummy. THe Glenfiddich, on the other hand, was quite dry or at least all the releases after the first one were dry. THe first Glenfiddich Havana Reserve release was deliciously buttery-sweet.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:35 am

Here is another one, and one I have wanted to try.

Caol Ila Chieftains 11 y.o. Rum Finish Islay Whisky 43%
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:35 pm

Admiral wrote:The only rum-finished malts I can recall having in the last few years were the Glenfiddich 21yo, the Cragganmore DE, the Balvenie Rum Cask, and the Glenmorangie Port Wood.

I recall all three having a certain spiciness and bite that I attributed to rum-wood influence. All but the Glenfiddich had an interesting sweet dimension that was very yummy. THe Glenfiddich, on the other hand, was quite dry or at least all the releases after the first one were dry. THe first Glenfiddich Havana Reserve release was deliciously buttery-sweet.

Cheers,
ADmiral

Very interesting Admiral, the Cragganmore DE sounds especially interesting with its nice "almondy" character. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:01 am

Very interesting Admiral, the Cragganmore DE sounds especially interesting with its nice "almondy" character. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

If you like regular Cragganmore 12yo, then the Distillers Edition is a must. It's a delicious expression of Cragganmore, as well as a good example of rum-finishing working well & complementing the original flavour.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:56 pm

Thanks Admiral - I have to find one when traveling this summer :)
Mr Fjeld

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder