Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Barcodes on UK whisky bottles???

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Barcodes on UK whisky bottles???

Postby volvoboy03 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:16 am

Does anyone know when barcodes were first used on UK whisky bottle labels?? I know it is a bit of strange question, but an elderly neighbour has given me an old looking bottle of Bells that her husband bought, he died in the 1970's. I am just wondering how old it is. The bottle does not have a barcode, just a serial number on the label and the "70' Proof" alcohol label. There is no age statement on the bottle just "Extra Special", and a "Choose wisely" label on the back.

Thanks for your help![/b]
volvoboy03

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:06 am

I have no idea about the barcodes, but the labelling changed from "proof" to "% vol" during 1980 for EU bottles.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:07 pm

I cannot say specifically for the UK, but bourbonv in his "How old is your bottle?" posting on the BourbonEnthusiast web forum states about American bottlings:

"In 1979 and 1980 the distillery's switched to metric bottles and in those two years the bottles will give fluid ounces and metric measurement. If it says 4/5 quart, then the bottle is older than 1979. If it has both styles it is 1979 or 1980. If it is in liters, then it is 1981 or newer. In the late 1980's the computer bar code starts to appear on labels. About 1989 or 1990 then the government required warning labels such as drinking is bad for the unborn children, so drink if you are pregnant."

If UK whisky bottles are similar, it would be in the late 1980's.

Regards - Yellowjacket
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder