Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Future bottelings ardbeg 10 years

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Future bottelings ardbeg 10 years

Postby Peatyfreak007 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:25 pm

Is ardbeg going to differentiate there future bottles of Ardbeg 10 years ???

New type of bottle
New Label

If so isn't it time to start stocking up on old bottles of the 10 years old ???
Peatyfreak007

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:48 am

This is a question which I can answer whilst wearing two different hats; those of collector and drinker.

1. We don't finally know for sure, but there is a very good chance that the new 10y Ardbeg will taste different from the old one. So if you like drinking the existing one, stock up whilst you can at a normal price!
Although the new one is coming along next year, does anyone know how much of the 'old' one is still laying around the warehouses?

1a. Will they vat the 10y to retain the same character with a mix of new and old?

2. At some point the 'old' 10y will run out. Will LVMH wish to distinguish between the two? If so, then expect some kind of presentation change.
In which case, the price will only rise for the old.
As with 17y, 1975, 1977 ...........

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:14 am

I should'nt think that, when the new stock reaches ten years old, the new Ten bottlings will have only new stock in them. I'm sure older stuff will be vatted in, as is surely the case now. I'm sure it won't taste exactly the same--nothing stays the same. But I'll bet that's what they'll aim for.

Perhaps they will release a cask strength vintage bottling, or a series thereof, in keeping with the VY/SY/AT releases.
Deactivated Member

Postby ardbug » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:20 am

I can imagine the cost when the vy /sy /at reach the very old release

As for the 10, I though they where going to release a bottling finally there , which one would think would be cask strength to match the others in the series, but shouldn't the 10 remain the same as is ( a vatting of different ages released at 46% ). One would imagine the flavour profile will change over time as more of the new 10 yr old stock comes through.
I will still stock up on some of the current 10 over the next year.

Cheers Ardbug
ardbug

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:28 am

After a while, they will run out of 10 year old whisky from the pre-Glenmorangie days. From what I understand, Glenmorangie made a lot of positive changes that hail back to the old days of distilling at Ardbeg. If they can improve on the TEN, I have no complaints here.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:54 am

is it possible they just continue with the same packaging of Ardbeg 10 with the 'newer' 10? If so, there would be little difference and I doubt the 'old' 10 would be worth stocking up on.... :?
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:00 am

That is indeed a possibility and one which could happen.
The main question, to which we can only speculate, is whether LVMH want to highlight and market the idea of "new". Even though, in this case, the distillery re-birth was not of their accord, but their predecessor's; Glenmorangie.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby killerwhale » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:25 am

that's true, though the only thing one can do is speculate.... perhaps having a bottle or two of the 'old' 10 wouldn't be a bad idea though I hope the 'new' 10 is as good.... aslong as they hold true to the Ardbeg flavor profile I shall be happy :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:29 am

Its an interesting point and I'm sure the Ardbeg boys can see the potential of The old Ardbeg and the new. I'm sure that their will be some clever marketing in order to get us all to double buy on the same product.

Time of course will tell.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:19 pm

ardbeg are releasing the Ardbeg Mor, a 1 gallon bottle of 10yo Ardbeg in the summer ........
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:14 pm

Regadless, I am going to try to stock up on a half dozen bottles or so. What is the worst thing that can happen? I have stock of one of my favorite malts for a long time to come, one that is sold at a very fair price. Best case senario, it goes up in value in which case I can sell and trade for some more expensive bottleings what i wish to have. Win/win.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:42 pm

Can't lose on that idea.
lbacha
Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder