Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan 10 Fine Oak

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Macallan 10 Fine Oak

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:16 pm

What is the general consensus on this forum regarding this single malt from Macallan?

Is it any good? I like single malt's on the sweeter/non peaty side. Apparently the malts from Speyside are supposed to be a bit sweety IE I love Balvenie. Is this entry level Macallan at all like the entry level Balvenie? Better? Worse?

Balvenie 10yo Founders Reserve costs me $45.20CDN. The Macallan 10yo Fine Oak costs $70.15CDN. Is it worth it?

Thank You
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:40 pm

Nothing wrong with it, E. I was gifted one not so long ago. I would say it's up there with most good non-exceptional speysiders. Maybe a bit too subtle and delicate...after all I fell in love with the bold sherried Macallans that were their flagship before the FO series came along, so it was perhaps hard to be objective. I wouldn't refuse it if offered a pour, but it certainly didn't make a major impression, or leave me craving another bottle.

I'd much rather a Glenfiddich 15 or a Cragganmore, and I love the Longmorn 15...even a Glen Moray, and some own brand supermarket speysiders in UK are pretty good.

But then I looked at the price you quote. No way would I pay that!

Stick with the Balvenie 10 while you can. cheaper, better IMO...and soon to be no more, as I understand.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:42 pm

If you want a true idea of what Macallan is all about go with the sherry versions from them, the fine oak is a good dram but I wouldn't price it that much higher than the balvenie another good choice that has a good price point is Glenfarclas, their malts all have sherry in them to one degree or another and they have an excellent range, the new 15 yr old is especially good.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:14 pm

Thanks Guys
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:31 am

Macallan 10 FO is rather average. You are better with the 15 or with the sherry bottlings.

As for bourbon cask Macallans, try independent bottlings like 1996 Whisky galore, from DTC, for a start. It was superb.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:50 am

The consensus around here is that Macallans are overpriced generally, and the FO particularly. If you like Balvenie, why not try some other Balvenies? Have you had the DoubleWood or the 15yo? (I suspect you've probably said so on another thread, but I don't recall.) Or how about Glenlivet 12, a reasonably priced and underrated dram?
Deactivated Member

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:15 am

Balvenie 10yo is tough to beat with that nice honey malty goodness. You're not going to find anything special in Macallan Fine Oak series. It's not flawed, but not very exciting.

The only Macallan I buy is the Cask Strength. It's heavily sherried and well worth the price tag.

With Macallan and Springbank, the name alone is worth a 25% markup a lot of the time. It turns me off a bit, since I'd much rather pay for the whisky than the name on the bottle. Macallan really has a good thing going for themselves. Often you'll go to liquor stores with a good single malt selection and the Macallans are kept in a lockup while other great malts like Ardbeg and Laphroaig are out on the shelf. They really do a good job of branding themselves as a status symbol.

The only other "standard" speysiders I get are Cragganmore 12yo and Glenlivet 18yo. Another tasty dram is Redbreast 12yo (Irish).
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:03 am

Oh, and how about Highland Park 12?
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:31 am

I've yet to taste a Fine Oak Macallan that I thought deserved a place "ahead of the pack".

In other words, the Fine Oak range is okay or good whisky, but it's nothing special, so I don't believe it deserves particular mention or separation. The extra price and the reputation simply comes with the Macallan brand - not necessarily what's in the bottle.

Now the sherried Macallans on the other hand....

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:00 am

...are an "okay" malt drowned in sherry?
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:06 am

Cynic! :)

No...they are an example of a whisky that stands "ahead of the pack".

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:35 am

Well folks, i just received this, my monthly mailing from a "leading whisky retailer" in London. It has to be said that they do source, sell, serve, and advertise some great whiskies...but this kinda takes the lemonade!! read on...

"This is just a quick note to remind you of our Whisky of the Month for March. For lovers of Macallan, this is a great opportunity to secure a bottle (or perhaps a few...) at a drastically reduced price, as well as getting £5 off your next bottle of Macallan Fine Oak.

For those unfortunate to be braving the current cold snap in the UK, a wee dram or two of Macallan might just be the tonic!!

Buy a bottle of THE MACALLAN FINE OAK 15 YEAR OLD and receive £5 off your next bottle of THE MACALLAN FINE OAK

With its characteristic pale colour and delicate taste Macallan Fine Oak is enjoyed by experts and discerning whisky lovers alike.

It has been matured for a minimum of 15 years in a unique, complex combination of European and American oak casks that have previously contained either Sherry or Bourbon.

The Macallan Fine Oak is a smooth and delicate Single Malt that is delicious served neat, with ice, or lengthened over ice with lime and soda or lemonade.

“I have for years played about in my lab with bourbon and sherry cask Macallan and come to the conclusion that a truly great whisky was waiting to happen. This could be it. You have to travel a long way to find a whisky with quite the same refreshing all round harmony as this. The balance is the stuff of legend…and genius.

95 points”

Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible 2007.

THE MACALLAN FINE OAK 15 YEAR OLD, 43% ABV

March offer price: £36.95

ALSO: receive £5 off your next bottle of THE MACALLAN 15, 21 or 30 year old FINE OAK

Offer ends: 31st March 2007 .

Do let us know if you are interested."

Well blow me down!! I'm guffawing into my sleeve over here! Yessir, I'm REALLY interested...

...to know why they are so keen to sell a "leading malt" that goes so well with ice, lime, soda and lemonade!! Did JM add lemonade to his before awarding this masterpiece of mediocrity a score of 95?

answers on a postcard please...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:03 am

Got to market to the masses and most people don't drink whisky neat, just good advertising on their part.
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:53 am

Well I bought the Fine Oak 10yo. You are all correct. Rather boring, not bad, just lacking. Looks like I will stick to my Balvenie.

:shock:
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:48 am

Forget the lemonade. Try mixing it with cream, kahlua and or peach schnapps...you might find yourself with a Macallan Amber...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:50 am

...and if it makes you feel better Elagablues, I was hyped into forking out £39 for the FO 15 a while back.

Wish i'd bought 2 Ardbeg 10s instead...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:58 am

At least the 15 is alot more interssting than the 10, I don't know if that makes it worth 39 pounds but it will make a good higher end malt for your non peat liking friends. (You can make them feel special because they get to drink a Macallan rated 95 by JM, Ha Ha)

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:11 am

The vagries of Macallan pricing are becoming more and more difficult to understand. £ 39 for Fine Oak 15yo, would rather have a Glenlivet 18yo for that price.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:11 pm

The FO15 is overpriced, and there is no way I would buy it again, but I liked it a lot. A very clean and rich malty number, with anough spices to add some balance.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:38 am

The Fachan wrote:The vagries of Macallan pricing are becoming more and more difficult to understand. £ 39 for Fine Oak 15yo, would rather have a Glenlivet 18yo for that price.

I understand perfectly well why they price it that way--because they can, because people will pay it. What I don't understand is why people will pay it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:04 am

Well folks, I just proposed to Lucie. Her acceptance of wanting to marry this mad blueswailing maltmaniac could ONLY be celebrated with a wee dram of the 1986 macallan 18 YO she bought me 2 christmasses ago...

...oh for the days when macallan wuz Macallan!

what does FO stand for anywy??

My Lucie HATES whisky...but she has an impeccable sense of taste...and choice!!

am I the lucky one or what?!?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder