Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Always over looked Balvenie Double Wood

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Always over looked Balvenie Double Wood

Postby xcel » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:12 am

I just tried some of this stuff tonight. For some reason over the last few years I've always seemed overlook this malt, maybe because of the price or the fact that it is widely available. Even when I thought about purchasing it, I always ended up buying a more expensive/exotic whisky.

It is a fantastic whiskey. I'm not a big sherry fan, especially the Macallan's, but the sherry in this malt is very mild and balanced. It's great balance of honey, sherry and light maltyness make it a great dram. I also taste a bit of smoke and vanilla.

I just wanted to say that I recommend it highly and don't think of it any less because of the price. I'll pick up a bottle tomorrow, it's only about $26 (US) :lol: at my local liquor store.
xcel

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:54 pm

Welcome to the Balvenie fan club :D
Yeah - the DW is an excellent dram - even if some prefer the 10yo, few would refuse a DW instead.
Have you tried the 15yo yet?
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:49 pm

Xcel glad you like it I've always one of the DW and Ten on the shelf. The price you pay $26 is excellent, we pay about £26 here. We live on the mainland here where its made, yours has to be shipped across the atlantic and its much cheaper. Phew.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dcb » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:07 pm

I just last night finished a three-pack of minis I'd bought that included the double wood, 15 single, and 21 port finish. Of the three the 21 was my favorite with the DW second. As you said, very nicely balanced and very easy dramming for sure, though I did like the slightly higher ABV of the 15 single. Not sure if I'd buy a full bottle of the 21 at the current prices, but the DW is on the list now.
dcb

Postby xcel » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:34 pm

Crieftan wrote:Welcome to the Balvenie fan club :D
Yeah - the DW is an excellent dram - even if some prefer the 10yo, few would refuse a DW instead.
Have you tried the 15yo yet?

No I haven't tried the 15, this was actually my first Balvenie. I was thinking of trying the 21 yo, but my local store doesn't have it, and it's $130, at a nearby Bevmo.

Has anyone tried the 17yo New Wood?
xcel

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:04 pm

I bought a Balvinie 10 just to be sure...

I got the DW last year and was totally under whelmed by it. Sorry to say I actually found it bland.

Maybe the Ten will redeem Balvenie for me.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby les taylor » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:12 pm

IWC have you tried the 15 year old single barrel or the !993 Portwood. They really do go up a couple of notches.

les taylor

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:28 pm

les taylor wrote:IWC have you tried the 15 year old single barrel or the !993 Portwood. They really do go up a couple of notches.

Yes I had a dram of the Port Wood while on holidays last year and it was nice and it definitely offered more but in general I'm not a huge fan of port woods as I find them a bit too sweet. Go figure :roll: no pleasing this guy is there :roll:

I got myself a fairly old bottling of the 10 year old and the fact it is younger I hope that it will not be as smooth at the 12yo DW. I think it is the lack of kick that I can't handle....

I know funny that a fan of Irish Whiskey thinks that the Balvenie is too smooth ..... :?
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:45 pm

xcel wrote:
Has anyone tried the 17yo New Wood?

I tried it at Whisky Live Glasgow last year. It was a bit lowery for me - to many aromatics fighting for attention. A well known whisky man Richard Joynson of Loch Fyne Whiskies descibes it as walking through the oerfume department of a prominent Edinburgh Department store :lol: Iknow whaty he means.

It's OK but the 15yo is better (generally - some report the odd duff bottle!) and IMHO a step up from the 10 and 12. The 91 Port wood is also worth a go.
Deactivated Member

Postby middlecut » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:37 pm

Here is a link to the Double wood!

I didn't have time to add my personal profile to this one yet. when I do I will post it.

the next One I will profile will be the 1989 port wood as I happen to have half a bottle left and I really enjoy that one!

Why don't you all go over and make a profile for this one then we can compare the profiles and even get an average of what we all think!

Happy Drammin
middlecut

Postby shoganai » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:49 pm

Balvenie Doublewood was the first single malt that I truly fell in love with. I haven't had a bottle in a while because I'm more interested in trying different malts, but it's been so long at this point that I might go grab a bottle this weekend.
shoganai
Silver Member

Re: Always over looked Balvenie Double Wood

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:43 am

xcel wrote:I'll pick up a bottle tomorrow, it's only about $26 (US) :lol: at my local liquor store.

:shock: About double that everywhere I see it. Even as a sale price, that's pretty extraordinary.
Deactivated Member

Postby l'chaim » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:21 am

The Double Wood was really the first SMW that grabbed me after subsisting on Glenlivet and Glenfiddich for too long. But when I tasted the 15yo, wow! I always try to have the 15yo on hand; it may be my favorite malt. My wife bought me the 21yo PortWood for my birthday last year, bur she’ll have to top that this year as it’s my 50th. I bought a bottle of the 10yo a couple of weeks ago but haven’t tried it yet, but I’ve yet to try a Balvenie I didn’t like.
l'chaim

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 am

I love Balvenie. I don't think I have to say too much more I just love the stuff. :)
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Re: Always over looked Balvenie Double Wood

Postby xcel » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:02 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
xcel wrote:I'll pick up a bottle tomorrow, it's only about $26 (US) :lol: at my local liquor store.

:shock: About double that everywhere I see it. Even as a sale price, that's pretty extraordinary.

Hmm, actually I've never seen it over $30 in my area, I'm in Los Angeles.
I've noticed a wide range of prices based on location, never understood why. I could see that being the case between different countries, but such wide range within the same country and same currency doesn't make sense to me.
xcel

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:18 am

I certainly understand why it varies from state to state--every state has its own system of distribution and taxation. But I've never seen any distillery label SM at anywhere near that price. $35 is dirt cheap. Binny's shows DW at $41.99, and that's pretty reasonable. $26 is a mystery to me. I don't know how that's possible.
Deactivated Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:34 am

I agree mr T. Here in Ontario the DW is 58 bucks. Which is about 48-50USD
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:10 pm

Ahhh..the Doublewood. It has long been a favourite of mine.
I fell in love with it many years ago. I have tried many of the other expressions from Balvenie (Loved the Portwood but the price is a deterrant now :( ) I have always come back to the DW.
It is one of my wifes favourites as well. We made it our house scotch and are never without a bottle or 2 in the house.

I have used it many a time to introduce non-scotch drinkers to the joys of single malts. :twisted:
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby shoganai » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:02 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I certainly understand why it varies from state to state--every state has its own system of distribution and taxation. But I've never seen any distillery label SM at anywhere near that price. $35 is dirt cheap. Binny's shows DW at $41.99, and that's pretty reasonable. $26 is a mystery to me. I don't know how that's possible.

Seriously. I just paid about $43 (including sales tax) for a bottle this afternoon, and that was the sale price! If I found DW for $26, I'd buy a case.

The only time you'll find anything that cheap around here is when it's on closeout.
shoganai
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder