Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

"New" Irish Distillery

General chat and talk about whisky.

"New" Irish Distillery

Postby Aidan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:38 am

Kilbeggan has started distilling, again. It first distilled 250 years ago.

This is fantastic news for the world of Irish whiskey. If Irish whiskey has its own world.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:04 am

Super Super news 8) :) :D :mrgreen:

as you can see I'm so happy

more about it here

http://www.cooleywhiskey.com/news/

the only thing now is the 10-15year wait for the final product :roll:

A big big massive well done to John Teeling and Co.....
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Frodo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:17 pm

Quick question. Who ownes Killbeggan Distillery?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:20 pm

Cooley. They've been running it as a museum for 19 yrs.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:36 pm

Here are a couple of Pics of the 15yo released for the occasion.

I think a limited release of 400.

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Wendy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:42 am

Hello IWC and John,
Have either of you had the chance to sample Kilbeggan 15 yo ltd release? A production of 400 bottles sounds like drop in the pail. The bottling is quite attractive.

Well done, Kilbeggan!

Regards,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:07 am

Hi Wendy

I haven't tasted it, or bought it, yet. Adrian tells me it's available at the distillery, though. Might go into the Celtic Whiskey Shop tomorrow and see if they are getting it in.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:53 am

Hi Wendy,

Unfortunately I have not had a chance to taste it as of yet either. However I did purchase 2 bottles and plan to open one, it's just I have so much to taste at this stage I don't know where to start :roll: .

There is not a whole pile of information about the bottle really but I will let you know when I do open it.

I was told that they think it is a Limited release of 400 but nobody could tell me for sure :?:

Sláinte Adrian
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:00 pm

Adrian

Were you able to order it from the distillery shop? Or do you have to go there to buy it?
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:18 pm

I actually went to the distillery, it's only 70miles from me :roll: . I wanted to take some pics of the still up and working. However I was told that the only time would be around 6.20pm when a special tour is run for that part of the distillery, unfortunately I could not hang around that long.

No harm giving them a buzz I suppose...

Let me know if you want one as I will no doubt be passing again at some stage?

Cheers Adrian
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:47 pm

Adrian

If you're passing there again before I get some, I'd certainly take you up on your offer.

I'll fire you an e-mail
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:39 pm

Will do ....
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby IainB » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi, I've just joined this forum today.

Heard about this earleir in the week. Great News!

Does anyone know if they'll be making malt of pot-still or both??
IainB
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:56 pm

OK, need to check my spellings. I meant malt OR pot still.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:57 pm

This has to be great news for Whiskey and for Ireland!

Wishing them much success.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:58 pm

I had heard they were going to make pure pot still there, but I'm not sure if they'll start on that, particularly as they only have one still in operation - one of the old stils from the Tullamore Distillery. I don't know how you operate with just one still - maybe just recycle the distilate back through it after the first run?
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:54 pm

I have a feeling that the first distillings were of single malt but I'm not 100% sure to be honest.

I just hope they will do a potstill also.

by the way welcome to the forums Iain.
irishwhiskeychaser

Edit button

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:07 pm

IainB wrote:OK, need to check my spellings. I meant malt OR pot still.
IainB:
Welcome aboard the forums it's a fun ride.

If you forget to use the preview button at the bottom of the "Post a Reply" frame, and make an error all is not lost. You will see an edit button on your post (top right) just click on it, the "post a reply" frame opens and you can correct the error. The rest of us only see a line at the bottom "edited ...." and your mispelling secret is safe. You might also review the FAQ section for more tips on posting.
Muskrat
See? :arrow:
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:41 am

Thanks for answering earlier on Adrian and John. I have heard that they are going to be making single malt. On the Malt Maniac site, it is briefly noted that an interview is in order with John Teeling, Chairman of Cooley Distillery plc. It will be something to keep a look out for.
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby r900p » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:47 am

Availability is about 1000 bottles worldwide, we hope to get 150 bottles. The 'we' is celtic whiskey shop.

Dont' know who else may be getting it in.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby wandering pict » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:52 am

Great News and this is a good way of introducing a new whiskey.
However the 15 year old must be distilled at Cooley distillery and possibly just matured at Kilbeggan, as they are just starting to distil down there.
The new operation will involve producing the whiskey at Cooley and then transporting this spirit to Kilbeggan for re-distillation in the one still. Nothing wrong in this and the extra distillation is likely to make the spirit even lighter. Will not see this spirit in a bottle for at least 3 years ( by law) and probably even further away than that. :o
wandering pict

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:24 pm

wandering pict wrote:Great News and this is a good way of introducing a new whiskey.
However the 15 year old must be distilled at Cooley distillery and possibly just matured at Kilbeggan, as they are just starting to distil down there.
The new operation will involve producing the whiskey at Cooley and then transporting this spirit to Kilbeggan for re-distillation in the one still. Nothing wrong in this and the extra distillation is likely to make the spirit even lighter. Will not see this spirit in a bottle for at least 3 years ( by law) and probably even further away than that. :o

Yes the Kilbeggan 15yo whiskey has been produced at Cooley but is matured at Kilbeggan. It is Just an older aged version of the current brand 'Kilbeggan' nas.

Distilation is all very much in the trial stages at the moment so I would not be surprised if you are correct in saying that it is distillered spirit from cooley getting it's last distilation in Kilbeggan..

All I know is it's a great developement and I can't wait until they get a couple more still going. They have 3 in total I think?
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby IainB » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:52 pm

I found my old copy of Jim Murray's Classic Irish Whiskey last night and at the time (mid 90s?) it appears the original John Teeling's origional intention was to fire up the still at some stage to produce pot still. I think the plan was to make the mash in Cooley and bring it down to Kilbeggan for distilling. I guess they more or less got there in the end.

John Teeling was interviewed on Newstalk last week and was talking about Malt and Pot-Still but I know with Cooley the terms are sometimes interchangeable. That said he did say someting about making an older type of whiskey that's 'hardly ever made anymore'. I'm sure the boys in Midleton would have something to say about that.

In any event, it's still great to have a fourth distillery up and running in whatever capacity.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:40 pm

When he says older style ...

I hope he is talking about Pot Still mash made with Malted and un-malted barley and maybe a small precentage of Oats. Now that would be something.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby IainB » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:30 am

Indeed. Whatever happens from what I've read in a few books it does seem to have been the intention to make pot still whiskey in Kilbeggan at some stage. Whether oats will be included or not only time will tell. I suppose one problem might be that while there's plenty of expertise in many coutries at making malt there is really only one outpost of expertise on pot-still. And they're Cooley's competition.

Still, here's hoping. Even if it is going to be a few years. Maybe they could release a "new spirit" like Kilchoman? Though I guess that would just be poteen really.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:47 am

Yes, and i think using oats is very messy. It's hard to clean up hardened porridge.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:12 am

Oats always seems to be the one that comes to mind or mentioned but they can always use rye, corn or wheat in it's stead as these were also used in the olden days for a potstill mash.

I don't reallly care just as long as they give it a go and come up with something.

My only fear is that making potstill is too labour intensive.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby IainB » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:47 pm

Well it's mostly Motorway from Wicklow to Kilbeggan now so I guess there' only one thing for it - I'll just have to go up there some weekend and invstigate for myself.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:49 am

Funny thing. The current Whiskymag issue arrives the same week as Kilbeggan starts distilling again with a write up about Kilbeggan, but of course, as I'm sure it was written some months ago, no mention that it has or even might start distilling again. It seems like a missed opportunity!
IainB
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:29 am

Hey Iain, there is a tasting on in Dublin on Wednesday the 25th of this month starts 6.30pm in Brooks Hotel.

Ally from the Celtic Whiskey Shop is organising. 25 people only @ 20Euro a ticket. I have 2 tickets booked. Contact the shop if your interested.

Noel Sweeney will be there from Cooley to host.

I do not have a definitive line up.

But

Kilbeggan 15yo Limited edition will be there as well as the new single cask offerings from Cooley.

I presume this means....

Tyrconnell14yo single cask, 10yo port cash, 10yo Maderia cask and the 14yo Connemara single cask.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby IainB » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:21 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Hey Iain, there is a tasting on in Dublin on Wednesday the 25th of this month starts 6.30pm in Brooks Hotel.

Ally from the Celtic Whiskey Shop is organising. 25 people only @ 20Euro a ticket. I have 2 tickets booked. Contact the shop if your interested.

Noel Sweeney will be there from Cooley to host.

I do not have a definitive line up.

But

Kilbeggan 15yo Limited edition will be there as well as the new single cask offerings from Cooley.

I presume this means....

Tyrconnell14yo single cask, 10yo port cash, 10yo Maderia cask and the 14yo Connemara single cask.

Thanks, I got that e-mail from ally last week. I happened to be passing yesterday and booked my ticket. I guess Noel Sweeney is the man to answer any questions on the new distillery.

I presume you're right about the tastings - no problem there they're all pretty good!
IainB
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:50 am

Hopefully get a chance to talk to you so....

See you there

Regards Adrian
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Wendy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:23 am

It sounds like a great tasting to look forward to. The variations on the Tryconnel sound very intriguing in addition to the others in the line-up. I look forward to hearing your comments.
All the best,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:35 am

Hi Wendy

I've actually tried both the Port and maderia finish Tyrconnells but do not have notes. But I can remember that I prefered them to the regular Tyrconnell. I suppose I find Tyrconnell a bit light and these finishes add a bit of dept to the whiskey. The port as far as I can remember was not too porty ( :!: :roll: ) at all as I sometimes find port finishes over powering and I remember being surprised by liking the maderia finish.

Hopefully we all can report back and it will be interesting how we differ as no doubt we will :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:37 am

I tried them and thought they were ok, but not great. The 14 yr old Tyrconnel was better than any of the "finished" ones.
Aidan

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder