Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Has anyone tried GLENFIDDICH 12 Year Old 'Toasted Oak' ?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Has anyone tried GLENFIDDICH 12 Year Old 'Toasted Oak' ?

Postby Steve Rush » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:56 pm

I would be interested to know what people think of the limited edition release of the 12yr old Glenfiddich Toasted Oak.

I haven't yet sampled it but would be interested on the thoughts of those who have.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:52 pm

Hi Steve we opened ours just this last week. Its definetly Glenfiddich but with a toffe flavour. Almost like having one of those bluebird toffee's that you had as a kid. Whist sipping glenfiddich over the top, its okay but you wouldn't want to drink only that in my opinion.

Les.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Steve Rush » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:03 pm

Thanks Les.

I have always been more of a Balvenie fan rather than a straight Glenfiddich fan but was just very curious about their latest expression.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby corbuso » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:15 pm

Steve Rush wrote:Thanks Les.

I have always been more of a Balvenie fan rather than a straight Glenfiddich fan but was just very curious about their latest expression.

FYI, tasting notes are available here:
http://www.whisky-news.com/En/tasting3.html#21Feb07

Rgds
Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:04 pm

I've tasted it.

I thought is was the best Glenfiddich and it's very sweet. The former distillery manager recommended it to me and he found it almost liqueurish.

It's exclusive to Tesco's in Britain.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:07 am

I haven't tasted it, but it would want to be considerably better than their last gimmick, namely the Caoran bottling, which was a very mean & thin whisky.

Bruce's recommendation above makes it sound appealing.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Thomas H. » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:14 pm

Funny, Richard, the new distillery manager didn't think it was that great. Not bad, but not very good either.

I dunno. I prefer the older Glenfiddich's. The younger ones are just, well, young. Not well defined. Same can be said for the Toasted Oak. To me, it really was just a gimmick, nothing more.
Thomas H.

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:12 am

The note I made when I first tasted it was "Syrup!!!" and that was all.
The impression I formed was that it was too sickly sweet for my taste. Not sure I got past that. It didn't feel clean, if you know what I mean - too sticky and not a great deal to it.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:05 pm

My bottle has been open for two weeks now. Had a dram again last night, it has definetly improved since last time. I know what Criefy means by it being sweet, but I did not notice that so much this time. I'm definetly getting to like it more.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Jdiddy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:39 pm

I was lucky to have a friend bring a bottle back for me on a recent trip to London. I have only had one dram and it was ok. Not excellent but not bad if that helps. I probably would not buy again but I will have a dram now and again. There is just not much going on with it. It is a little syrupy but not overly sweet IMO. Just no WOW factor going on. I guess it's a good every day dram if that's what you are looking for. Just a little bland. You could do worse for the price tag.
Jdiddy

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:22 pm

Try it with a drop of water. It does open up considerably
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder