Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Purchasing Scotch Online

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Purchasing Scotch Online

Postby Ryguy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:27 pm

Has anyone here (in the U.S) ever purchased scotch from http://www.scotchwhisky.com/?
And if so, how was the overall service with them?

I'm looking to buy scotch overseas because nobody here in the US can or will ship to Maine (becuase of Maine's laws on liquor). And I'm hoping that I won't have this problem with an overseas company.

If you haven't heard of this particular company, are there any others that you can recommend?

Thank you.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:06 pm

Most of the overseas online shops won't ship to the US at all. Check the site's shipping policies. Two that do are Loch Fyne Whiskies and Royal Mile Whiskies, but you should be aware that it's a gray area at best. Go on LFW's site and read their caveats about shipping to the US and Canada before you go ahead. Bottles are usually shipped labeled as "collector's malt", and I think they (and you) are counting on US Customs either not knowing or caring exactly what that means. That said, I've ordered from both without trouble. But it's at your own risk.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:54 pm

Thanks goodness we can't have whisky shipped to Norway!! I'd be spending all my money!!!! But what a collection I would have!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Wave » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:54 am

I've also ordered from both LFW & RMW without any trouble ...so far.
I agree with Mr. T., buy at your own risk.

It looks as though scotchwhisky.com also ships to the US but I noticed that their shipping rates are a tad on the high side, £37.00 for the 1st bottle of a shipment to the US (ouch!). If your willing to pay that much in shipping then The Whisky Exchange is another shop that ships to the US.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:05 am

It looks as though scotchwhisky.com also ships to the US but I noticed that their shipping rates are a tad on the high side, £37.00 for the 1st bottle of a shipment to the US (ouch!).

Yes, the high shipping prices are one of the reasons I rarely buy whisky from LFW or RMW.

£37.00 is AUS$93, which is often more than the cost of the bottle I'm purchasing! :shock:

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby parvus » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:11 am

Admiral wrote:
It looks as though scotchwhisky.com also ships to the US but I noticed that their shipping rates are a tad on the high side, £37.00 for the 1st bottle of a shipment to the US (ouch!).

Yes, the high shipping prices are one of the reasons I rarely buy whisky from LFW or RMW.

£37.00 is AUS$93, which is often more than the cost of the bottle I'm purchasing! :shock:

Cheers,
ADmiral

Ain't that the truth - but at least the charge per bottle over that initial 'hump' isn't too bad. If I add up my total including shipping and divide it over the number of bottles, it works out to be quite cheap that way, right? I can keep telling myself that its cheap, right? :?
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:15 am

I don't know! ?

Last time I checked with LFW, they were charging a flat delivery fee per bottle. They weren't prepared to put multiple bottles in a single box for delivery, so each bottle was to be sent out separately in its own tin.

Admittedly, the cost was 20 pounds per bottle, as opposed to 37, but it still meant that there was no way to average or discount the delivery cost out across a number of bottles.

Anyway, what are you doing ordering from Scotland? You've got Whisky Galore in Christchurch to keep you happy! :wink:
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:54 am

Whilst you are talking about costs for shipping, please let me just explain why the costs may be quite high:

On the occasions I have shipped long distance from Europe (Germany) I have always preferred to use "Air freight". This ensures the parcel is insured (up to a value of €500) and gets it to the destination reasonably quickly. I am also told by the Post Office that "Air" parcels are handled more carefully than "Land" ones.

The minimum for an "Air" parcel is 5kg weight, which depending upon bottle style and size, could mean either 2 or 3 bottles.
However, the basic cost of this to say the USA, is €48 (32 GBP).
If a seller includes just €2 to cover packaging, then it is quite feasible to have a P&P cost of around €50 (almost 35 GBP). However, as I said, this will certainly cover 2 bottles, sometimes 3.
If a buyer really isn't worried about delivery times or insurance, then "Land" would be at a cost of €32 for the 5kg.
There is one further option, that of "small packet" rather than parcel. But this has a maximum limit of 2kg in weight which can be quite difficult to achieve with some heavier bottles (like the heavy Bruichladdich ones), but this would only cost €12.90 by land, €25.80 by air.

As for Australia & Japan:
5kg Air & Insured - €58
"Land" - €37

So as you see, the high prices are not necessarily sellers being unfair, but the actual cost of postage.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:01 am

That's okay...I wasn't suggesting for a moment that the sellers were taking anybody for a ride or profiteering out of the shipping costs.

It's just one of the few downsides I face in living so far from Scotland! :)

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:45 am

Admiral,
I never thought you were, but I just wanted to show the actual costs we face for postage.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:55 am

I'm glad I live on mainland Uk for a delivery from LFW for instance its £6.80 plus VAT. That will be one box with as many bottles that I've ordered inside.

That's not too bad, but does take about 2 days to get here.

:)
les taylor

Postby parvus » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:42 am

Admiral wrote:I don't know! ?

Last time I checked with LFW, they were charging a flat delivery fee per bottle. They weren't prepared to put multiple bottles in a single box for delivery, so each bottle was to be sent out separately in its own tin.

Admittedly, the cost was 20 pounds per bottle, as opposed to 37, but it still meant that there was no way to average or discount the delivery cost out across a number of bottles.

Anyway, what are you doing ordering from Scotland? You've got Whisky Galore in Christchurch to keep you happy! :wink:

What I meant was, I tend to add the total cost of the order up and divide it by the number of bottles, so I can trick myself into thinking "oh that's only $167 per bottle, that's not bad!" rather than "how did i just spend $690 in one go" etc.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Glen Elgin 1985 by The Bottlers, a Talisker 1981 sherry cask OB, and a Highland Park 1973 sherry cask OB. None of which Mr. Milne seems to have available in store, or i'd pick it up from him.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Wave » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:38 pm

Admiral wrote:

Cheers,
ADmiral

The shipping prices to the US from LFW or RMW for 1 bottle is only £17 plus we don't pay VAT. A Port Ellen 6th Release I bought late last year from RMW was actually cheaper to buy and ship here (less VAT) than to buy it in the UK with VAT!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Re: Purchasing Scotch Online

Postby mikeymad » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:35 pm

ryguy wrote:Has anyone here (in the U.S) ever purchased scotch from http://www.scotchwhisky.com/?
And if so, how was the overall service with them?

If you haven't heard of this particular company, are there any others that you can recommend?

Thank you.

Back to the original question. I have ordered from http://www.scotchwhisky.com (a long time ago) when they were having sample taistings. My experience with them was very good, and I had no issues getting the samples into the US. Last year I tried to order up some Bowmore (that was at very low price on their site), but they were out. So, I guess that my only thing was that their website does not seem to be up to date all the time.

I have also recently ordered from Royal mile Whisky's, and it came through fast and was well packed. See my post in recent purchased.

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1977&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=2825

Cheers
mikeymad

Postby afviper » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:09 pm

Before buying from overseas and paying the huge shipping costs look at these two companies from the U.S. I have bought a few bottles from Beltramo's, fast shipping, and very cheap, I have also placed an order with the Wine and Liquor Depot that should arrive today or tomorrow, 6 bottles only cost $20 in shipping.

http://www.beltramos.com/spirits.htm
http://www.wineandliquordepot.com/index.htm
afviper

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:25 am

afviper wrote:Before buying from overseas and paying the huge shipping costs look at these two companies from the U.S. I have bought a few bottles from Beltramo's, fast shipping, and very cheap, I have also placed an order with the Wine and Liquor Depot that should arrive today or tomorrow, 6 bottles only cost $20 in shipping.

http://www.beltramos.com/spirits.htm
http://www.wineandliquordepot.com/index.htm

Yes, definitely Beltramos!!! They recently, last year, took a new approach, lowered their prices. They've been a family business for over 100 years, a great reputation, and great prices! If they ship, do it!!!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:52 am

Beltramo's shipping terms include the following, which I imagine will be similar for any US shop:

To the best of our knowledge, the following states have reciprocal laws that permit incoming shipments:

Alaska
Arizona
California
Colorado
District of Columbia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Iowa
Louisiana
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
New York
North Dakota
Oregon
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin

The following are states that do not accept incoming shipments of alcoholic beverages:

Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia

For shipments to any other state, please give us a call at 1-888-710-WINE (1-888-710-9463).
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:59 am

The shipping prices to the US from LFW or RMW for 1 bottle is only £17 plus we don't pay VAT. A Port Ellen 6th Release I bought late last year from RMW was actually cheaper to buy and ship here (less VAT) than to buy it in the UK with VAT!

Yes, but you have to be careful. I don't know what your country is like, but here we actually run the risk of our bottle being picked up by Customs, and then you have to pay all the excise & duties applicable here. So whilst you avoid the UK VAT, there's a risk that you might then get hit with all the Aussie taxes on its arrival here.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:33 pm

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. It looks like I have a few different options. Thanks again.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder