Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

what blends do you drink?

General chat and talk about whisky.

what blends do you drink?

Postby killerwhale » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:16 am

just curious, what blends (if any) do you consume? & why? also do you start a session with a blend or have it last?
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:22 am

Black Bottle a blended Islay and Black Bottle ten is even better. I'd probably have one first then go on to a SMS. Or just have the one and that would be it.

I probably would not drink a single first then go on to a blend. Unless for fun we were doing a blind tasting.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:22 am

Jameson 12yo would probably be my most regular blend.

I'd have the old teachers and JW black in a pub depending on what they had.

However if I was drinking a few I would always finish with the blends like JW black or teachers as I would like to get thye full experience from single malts or a potstill. However I treat my Jameson 12yo as I would a single malt as I think it is as good as any out there.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby middlecut » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:55 am

Well I have a bottle of Dimple and one Chivas regal. They are not bad but I usually keep them for my wife's friends when they say...

"OOOh look at all those whiskies.. can I try one?"

(not that I don't want to promote single malt if.. they liked the tase I would then introduce them to something single.)

I never thought of using one as a starter b4 a session .. good idea! I usually start with a Tormore or maybe Aberlour.
middlecut

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:02 am

IWC wrote:-

Jameson 12yo would probably be my most regular blend.

I have to agree I forgot about Jameson's being a blend, it has to be one of the best along with JW Black.

les taylor

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:12 am

les taylor wrote:

I have to agree I forgot about Jameson's being a blend, it has to be one of the best along with JW Black.

I like the fact that alot of people don't associate the blend tag with Jameson 12yo ... good on ya Les :wink:

I suppose we all do get a bit caught up about singles and blends. I have a bottle of Dimple and JW gold which I have still to open because the singles always keep get top billing to be opened first ......

.... oh Nooooooo (deep dark cavern echo kicks in :lol: ) ...... I'm becomming a malt snob .... aaaahhhh ..... help me :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:13 am

My favorite blend thus far has been the Blue Hanger 25y! If I could keep that stocked, I would definitely! Makes me wonder about their other bottlings, as they do single malts and also a 30y Blue Hanger. But that 25y was just unbelievable, full of flavor and balance and fruit and even others I let taste were impressed, not even whisky drinkers some of them either! I may have to pick up another bottle in Scotland next month!
Di Blasi

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:23 am

Hmmm. We both had a Jameson's on sunday night. that's me and my young lady singer I recently introduced to malts - she loves glenmorangie and has recently fallen for Talisker in a major way(that's my girl!)

She hated the Jameson's. i found it unsubtle and far too sweet. I don't remember reacting to it in this way - It was never a fave but always OK. Either i was still suffering from the last malt i had had the night before(probably something rubbish like the Talisker 18...or an Ardbeg!!) or else the bottle was almost empty - I've noted several whiskies in pubs that seem overly sweet have a pouring spout on the top...and even with that little glass measure, surely the air is constantly getting to them??

No way to treat a whisk(e)y!!

Having said that I love Blackbush, and JW Black, and dare I say it, they are the only blends I've ever bought!

Other outstanding blends I recall are Midleton, Black Bottle...

...and JW Gold.Now if THAT was less expensive it might just be a regular in my collection...rubbing shoulders with Ardbegs, A'bunadhs and Taliskers...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:26 pm

The 2 blends I keep on hand are Dewer's White Label & Islay Mist.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:59 pm

Jameson's 12yo. It is an impressive dram and I also forget that it is a blend often.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:03 pm

Jameson 12 here too. A truly wonderful whisky by any standards!
Mr Fjeld

Postby bamber » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:09 pm

Jameson NAS, is my regular pub pour (although I normally drink wine or beer outside the house).
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:57 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:.......probably something rubbish like the Talisker 18...or an Ardbeg!!)......

Bit of a bummer having to lower yourself to these malts :wink:

Reggaeblues wrote:
Having said that I love Blackbush, and JW Black, and dare I say it, they are the only blends I've ever bought!

Other outstanding blends I recall are Midleton, Black Bottle...

...and JW Gold.Now if THAT was less expensive it might just be a regular in my collection...rubbing shoulders with Ardbegs, A'bunadhs and Taliskers...

I forgot about the Blackbush ... now that is a fine dram and I think I'll have to open the JW gold pretty soon 8)
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby mikeymad » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:14 pm

I was (until recently) drinking the Campbeltown Loch 25. Finished off my three bottles. And, I don't think that I will see it around anymore.

I would like to try the Black Bottle at some point.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby lbacha » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:26 pm

At the bar I drink Jamesons NAS and JW Black Label due to availability.

Open at home I have bottles of Jamesons 12, Black Bottle 10 and JW Green (Blended malt) open at the moment with a bottle of Black Bush, Islay Mist and Black Bottle NAS ready to replace them. All great drams when you are in the mood.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:40 pm

thanks for posts :)

I've been trying some blends just for the experience of tasting them, sometimes I'll start with a blend, flush mouth with water and go to a SM, other times I'll finish with a blend, depends what mood I'm in and what flavour I want atm.
JWB is good (pricey here though) aswell as Teachers, Famous Grouse, Gordon Highlander to name a few I've thought are drinkable and good for the price.
re: Jameson 12, never had it ... tried reg Jameson and it wasn't for me.... I read that the 12 is better but also super spicey :? ??? so I have not bought a bottle..... I should give it a go though.
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:45 am

I never buy blends on purpose... Generally at home I'm drinking single malts all the time but for a few exceptions.

When I'm out often a blend is all that is available but I prefer this to 12yo Glenfiddich and Glenlivet for some reason. JW Black and other JW blends are pretty good. Teachers Highland Cream is really nice.

Overall I actually prefer Irish blends, preferring Jameson there. I believe even the 18yo is a blend but it is very good.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:58 am

I like JW Black, Midleton VR, Jameson 18, Jameson 12. Oh, lots and lots more.
Aidan

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:27 pm

JW black. The Gold is delicious though.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:43 pm

I almost never drink scotch blends, but I must admit, If I want a hot toddy to scare away a cold, then I often use "Grants" which is readily available, quite acceptable and cheap
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby ColinL » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:49 am

Bruichladdich's Celtic Nations Celtic Blended Malt Whisky

It's really a vatting, or a blended malt if you prefer, of Irish (bushmills?) and bruichladdich. I've read it's also got some Port Charlotte. It's friggen awesome! Lovely honey and cinnamon. Not at all what I was expecting. Get some while you can.

My notes:
http://www.forpeatsake.com/Bruichladdic ... t+Whisky/1

Colin.
ColinL

Postby martin grant » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:50 pm

ColinL wrote:Bruichladdich's Celtic Nations Celtic Blended Malt Whisky

It's really a vatting, or a blended malt if you prefer, of Irish (bushmills?) and bruichladdich. I've read it's also got some Port Charlotte. It's friggen awesome! Lovely honey and cinnamon. Not at all what I was expecting. Get some while you can

Colin.

Hi Colin, I'm pretty sure the Irish whiskey in Celtic Nations comes from Cooley.

Anyway - my favourite blends would be either The Loch Fyne or Bailie Nicol Jarvie. Both exceptionally smooth with impressive after tastes
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:25 pm

thanks for posts..... I should have included how one drinks a blend ie) neat, with a little h2o or otherwise....
MT.... Grants will be tasted in the not too distant future for myself :)

I drink blends neat or if they are too harsh, then I try with some water.... and if they just do not agree with me, then it rests in it's tomb with the 'lid' firmly closed .... fortunately I only have one 'coffin' and that is a small one (375ml) then name reads: Mr. Ballantine :lol:
(I will give this blend another go some day, for now however it rests behind a drinkable bottle)
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:39 pm

IWC wrote "Bit of a bummer having to lower yourself to these malts" (Talisker 18 and Ardbeg...)

I know. life is hard...

P.S. Go for the Gold! Pure class-in-a-glass as I recall
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:50 pm

rb: is that John Power & Son Gold Label?

ps; attempting to see if I've worked out uploading pics.... :oops:

yay for Orcas! now if only I could keep that in my sig. or use as an avatar :?
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:03 pm

JW gold I think is what our very own ragga master on high is refering to ...
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby mikeymad » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:58 pm

mikeymad wrote:I was (until recently) drinking the Campbeltown Loch 25. Finished off my three bottles. And, I don't think that I will see it around anymore.

I would like to try the Black Bottle at some point.

Cheers,

It is a great day. I was digging around my collection and found another bottle of the Campbeltown Loch 25. I wil see if I can take my time with this one.
mikeymad

Postby wieslaw » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:23 am

blends work well with ice, particularly in warmer weather.

white horse or jwb or grant's.

wieslaw
wieslaw

Postby killerwhale » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:04 pm

thanks irishwhiskeychaser :)
mike.... a good day indeed!

wie.... I'll give Ballantines a go with some ice, perhaps it'll help....
I did get to try Grants and although it was okay I do not think I shall buy a bottle.... I much prefer Teachers to Grants
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:05 pm

I very rarely drink blends. I have just a few in my drinks cabinet, and the only ones I have opened is Black Bottle, and a Norwegian blend of scottish whiskies, called Upper Ten 12 Years Old.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:41 pm

kljostad, have you tried Jameson 12? If not I think you'll be in for a surprise. Really good!
Mr Fjeld

Postby kljostad » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:50 pm

No, not yet, but I have heard goods things about it, so I might consider buying one. But as for Irish whisky, I would love to get my hands on a Connemara, but it's not available in Norway. :(
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:19 pm

kljostad wrote:No, not yet, but I have heard goods things about it, so I might consider buying one. But as for Irish whisky, I would love to get my hands on a Connemara, but it's not available in Norway. :(

A kind person send me a tasting pack of Connemara and I think it was a great. It's sad it's not available around here.
Mr Fjeld

Postby killerwhale » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:09 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:kljostad, have you tried Jameson 12? If not I think you'll be in for a surprise. Really good!

re: J12.... how spicy is this whiskey? I want to try it but there are only 750ml bottles and I've read a few posts that indicate this is one spicy drink.... I was not impressed by the standard Jameson also.... is it really that different?

thanks for input!
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:20 am

killerwhale wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:kljostad, have you tried Jameson 12? If not I think you'll be in for a surprise. Really good!

re: J12.... how spicy is this whiskey? I want to try it but there are only 750ml bottles and I've read a few posts that indicate this is one spicy drink.... I was not impressed by the standard Jameson also.... is it really that different?

thanks for input!

Hi Willy :)
I haven't tried the standard Jameson but I've read the 12 is head and shoulders above it in quality/taste. In my opinioin the 12 is certainly spicy and also quite sherried. I could be wrong but I think it's what takes away the "spirity edge" often found in blends. It certainly has pot still character and given the fact that it is a blend I'd say you get a lot for the money. I'll recommend it because I like it but I'll feel pretty guilty if you buy it and won't like it........... But a worst case scenario could be changed into a really good irish coffee?
Mr Fjeld

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder