Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Why do you collect?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Why do you collect?

Postby fergusa » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:29 pm

I am interested in this as I can't see any chat on it as a topic. People often talk about what they'd like to own or what they have in a collection but my interest is why you have it and what you hope to do with it in the future...
fergusa

Postby lbacha » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:36 pm

I collect because when a good malt comes out I have to have it, I don't really buy it because I feel the value will increase just that it won't be available in the future. I ussually get more than one when I have the chance because I hope to use it to trade for other bottles I want, my ultimate goal is to be able to always have great malts that are no longer available to open and try in the future. As a benifit if I ever need some extra cash I can most likely sell them as well for a small profit. I consider it alot like wine, you buy it now to drink later and sometimes you sell or trade some to get other bottles you like. I do collect 1976 whiskies for the purpose of having a collection and not for drinking and the reason for that is because it is my birthyear. I have still bought multiple bottles at time so that I can either trade or drink one without effecting the collection.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby fergusa » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:53 pm

Surely there can't be much money to be made from selling a whiskey which you bought yourself? After all, it does not age in the bottle.
fergusa

Postby Scotchio » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:39 pm

There is plenty of money to be made if you buy the right bottles because people will pay a premium for the desirable and inobtainable. Not that I collect for that reason. I currently collect bottles from closed distilleries purely for the pleasure and satisfaction of knowing that in future , should i so wish, I can open a bottle of something rare and enjoy it without having to pay through the nose( refer to 1st point) I also seem to have fallen into a miniature collecting habit partly to give me the opportunity of trying all the distilleries without going to the expense of buying full size bottles.

To quote David Milstead in the Bluffers Guide to Whisky" collecting miniatures is a singularly senseless hobby as they are worthless if you open them, and pointless if you don't"
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:15 pm

If I taste something that blows me away, either in absolute terms or QPR, I want to stock up on it. Even OBs exhibit batch variation, so I'll stock up on a bottling that I think is extraordinary. Right now I'm hording 2004 Uigeadail and a certain Lagavulin 16yo batch that was just fabulous.

Also, I don't have the cash flow as of yet, but I would love to pick up a Brora or Ardbeg Provenance or Springbank 21yo to save for a very special occasion like the birth of my child or my wedding or any number of special occasions that may come in my lifetime.

I'm definitely a drinker.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:17 pm

Scotchio wrote:To quote David Milstead in the Bluffers Guide to Whisky" collecting miniatures is a singularly senseless hobby as they are worthless if you open them, and pointless if you don't"

That's how I feel about all bottles.
Deactivated Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:10 pm

I just like the fact that my horde for future consumption also has value and can gain in value. I have every intention of drinking as much of the whisky I buy as i can but that is starting to be unrealistic as I buy more and more bottles so at least it has some value. I doubt I would be buying these bottles right now if they wern't going to increase in value and demand. I would just look for them when I wanted to open one and pay a slight premium at the time not the crazy prices that some whiskies sell for.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:58 pm

i collect purly and simply as an investment.
if it goes tits up then the worst thing that can happen is they get drunk...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:21 pm

I'm a born pack rat, I collect all kinds of stuff! Other than whisky I also collect album/CD's, rocks and gems, seashells, paintings and other types of art, knickknacks from the places I've been to around the world and ...oh yeah, I collect alot of dust too! :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:30 pm

I collect for future enjoyment not increasing value of the collection. I consider myself to be a human squirrel saving up food for the winter. In case of nuclear war the atomic winter should be long and cold but I'll still be fine.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:35 pm

V7 wrote:-

i collect purly and simply as an investment.
if it goes tits up then the worst thing that can happen is they get drunk...

What a great attitude.
I think though V7 you are a little more knowledgeable than that.

:)
les taylor

Postby vitara7 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:03 pm

basicly im hoping that in 30 - 35 years i can retire on the proceeds of the collection. but if the worst does ever happen, then they can be drunk. but im holding out for the first :wink:
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:34 am

I don't. I'm not really into collecting anything, unless you count ex-wives! :wink:
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:39 am

You'd be welcome to collect my ex-wife, if I had one.
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:07 am

Paul A Jellis wrote:I don't. I'm not really into collecting anything, unless you count ex-wives! :wink:

Not a very good investment I find...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby fergusa » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:50 am

Interesting, I personally strive to extend my collection so that I can offer more and more varied drinks to my guests and out of pride at having diversity of choice. Selling them to make money never would cross my mind...but perhaps I have much to learn...!
fergusa

Postby lbacha » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:15 pm

Most people don't collect thinks with the intention of selling it, that would be investing, Now alot of people do like to collect things that have value to them and even the most avid collector may sell or ttade a part of his collection if he has an extra or is trying to add to that collection. The added bonus to Whisky is that it is also consumable and that is what makes it such an interesting and dynamic thing to collect. Every bottle that is opened and consumed lowers the supply (Great for a collector) and has the potential of increasing the demand if it is a great whisky (Great for a collector). You will notice a difference between some collectors on the forum, Some just what one bottle of everything because they don't plan on drinking it just collecting it others want multiple bottles so they can drink one and hold onto the other.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:46 pm

I "collect" but have yet to sell off any bottles. I do love to see the value, or "going price" increase, but still I wonder if I will ever sell any of these particular bottlings. It's nice to buy something you can afford, and watch it go for something you can no longer afford to buy, but since you have it, you can still enjoy it! Which is probably what I'll end up doing. I do buy 2 bottles when I can, but still, who knows if I'll ever sell one or not.
Di Blasi

Why does Muskrat collect?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:25 am

I don't collect for investment, for personal gain or even for the purpose of sharing with my guests. The odd rare bottle may be held on to for a number of years but I can't see selling it for gain. I gladly share my collection with my friends but that is for the convivial aspects of the hobby. I had started collecting to have something special to share for New years, but have moved beyond that.

I collect for the pure joy of the hunt. To obtain a bottle that I've never tried, or that is the last example running free on the shelves, available to anyone who strolls in, that is the thrill of it all, for me.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder