Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Miniature Contents

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Whisky Miniature Contents

Postby lbacha » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:43 pm

I was wondering if the whisky in the miniature bottles degrades over time. I was considering buying some old bottles to drink and I wanted to make sure that they would still be drinkable. I have a miniature bottle of Macallan "Private Eye" and I'm thinking about trying it as well but I want to make sure it is a good representation of the 70cl bottle of Private Eye.

Thanks Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:45 pm

Spookily i just posted something on the evaporation poll relating to this. Have no fear down to the top of the label for cask strength and just below the shoulders for standard strength. I've had some stunning whiskies some of which have been in the bottle for 30 years.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:43 pm

I was wondering if the whisky in the miniature bottles degrades over time.

I have a few that have evaporated some over the years. A Lagavulin 12yo (in it's tube) that I had for more than 10 years had shrank to just below the top of the label ...I had it for the New Years!! :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:14 am

Mini's seem to evaporate more quickly than regular bottles so I would be careful if you have one that is half evapourated as the contents may not be a true reflection of the actual whiskey due to possible degradation. However as long as you don't pay through the nose for them I reckon it would be no harm. You never know until you taste and at the end of the day it won't kill you :wink: so go on give it a go.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:49 pm

Makes me wonder about long term storing of the new make spirit Kilchoman has now bottled. With the 63.5% alcohol, would this evaporate quicker? But technically, it's not whisky yet is it??
Di Blasi

Postby les taylor » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:55 pm

Just a question and I think this is the answer. I believe Mini's evaporate more beacause of the metal screw cap lid instead of the cork and seal. Do you think I'm right or is it something else?

:)
les taylor

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:07 pm

Hi Di Blasi,

It really is down to the cap/cork and bottle top. Some mini's have great caps and they are not an issue but in general thes caps on mini's have a lot to be desired.

An educated guess is that the small area that the Mini cap covers is too insufficient to create a good seal for long term storage. Have a good look at the cap and bottle neck of a Mini in comparison to a regular bottle. The thread on the bottle neck of a larger bottle and the cap is much deeper.

However if you look at sample bottles that LFW have these are great for storing whisky.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:06 pm

Yea, good stuff there guys. Also, just like smaller wine bottles age quicker, and definitely go off/over the hill quicker, I'm sure smaller bottles of spirits will do the same, even if it's distilled.
Di Blasi

Postby MGillespie » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:40 pm

Of course, if you plan on keeping a mini around for years, you could dip the cap in wax to seal it against any possible oxidation...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:47 pm

I have seen old minis on Ebay that look nice and full and I've heard of half full ones. There is not a lot of liquid in there to stand up to the elements if there is a faulty seal.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby mannyCA » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:38 pm

use some plastic cling wrap, just use it around the neck and metal wrapper. i use it on all bottles i get and never had an evaporation problem in the 10+ years i've been drinking/collecting.
manny
mannyCA

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:29 am

MGillespie wrote:Of course, if you plan on keeping a mini around for years, you could dip the cap in wax to seal it against any possible oxidation...

Mark

...or evaporation.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder