Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Talisker 18

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Talisker 18 Years Old

Talisker 18

Postby ScotchPalate » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:00 am

I hadn't takin' a sip of my Talisker 18 in a bit. Although I do remember the peppery-ness and some of the faint sweeter complex notes, and of course the iodine tang. But I don't remember the iodine tang being so pronounced. It could be that I don't remember correctly, or that my palate is more sensitive that it used to be. There's no problem. I rather enjoy it.

Has anybody found the Talisker 18 to become more tangy (iodine) with age?
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:33 am

I didn't notice any change over time, but then again, my bottle last very long for much change to occur! :wink:

However, what you are describing is a reasonably common observation. I'm not suggesting that certain whiskies necessarily take on a more tangy or iodine-like character with time, but they do certainly change in the bottle once oxygen has been introduced.

I had an old bottle of Glenmorangie Madeira Wood that I (accidentally) let sit for too long once the contents had got down to about a third-full, and when I finally returned to the bottle six months later, it was definitely spicier than I remembered it being.

This observation has been remarked upon many times on these pages over the years, so what you've noticed is nothing to be alarmed at. I guess the more important issue is whether or not you still enjoy the whisky, and you've indicated that you do! :)

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Talisker 18 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder