Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland Park

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Highland Park

Postby martin grant » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:19 pm

Received in the post today a free 5cl bottle from a recent promotion in the Scotsman newspaper. Looking forward to putting my feet up later tonight and trying it. But now thinking about it, I'm rather ashamed and have to confess I can't remember ever trying Highland Park in the past. I've had a sniff of the bottle and it smells great so I'm sure I'm going to enjoy tonights glass. Are there any other bottlings of Highland Park I've been missing out on? What other editions does everyone else recommend?
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:50 pm

Hi Martin the sample that you have is probably HP12 the Highland Park 18 is also fairly well available. But it is a magnificent drink. Hope you get to try some.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dcb » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:22 pm

les taylor wrote: the Highland Park 18 is also fairly well available. But it is a magnificent drink.

yes, I'm a few drams into my HP18 and it's sooo delicious. It was about double the price of the 12 for me, so it's not something I can easily stock up on, but I think it is worth the price.
Last edited by dcb on Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcb

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:32 pm

I've heard that the low end signatory bottlings are not so special, but EVERY bottling of Highland Park that I've had is complex and fascinating. It must be one of the more versatile distilleries because sherried or not sherried it always impresses me.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:06 pm

I've had and have very good cask strength (my forte') HP's from Signatory, Scott's Selection and Cadenheads which btw their shop in Edinburgh lists an HP 18yr old '88, 58.2% alc (Sherry). If I lived over there I'd already be all over that one! :D

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:48 am

I've heard that the low end signatory bottlings are not so special, but EVERY bottling of Highland Park that I've had is complex and fascinating

Interesting. I'd not heard any negative comments about the Signatory bottlings previously, but I've seen & heard plenty of good feedback for the other independent bottlings of HP. And I certainly share your observation that every bottling of Highland Park I've had is complex and fascinating.

(Even the OB 12yo that was hopelessly riddled with TCA! (Cork taint))

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:51 am

Highland park 12 and 18 are both wonderful, salt, heather, lots of honey, and sometimes a little smoke. Definitely worth getting a bottle of either.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby martin grant » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:52 am

les taylor wrote:Hi Martin the sample that you have is probably HP12

Sorry Les, I should have said HP12 in the first place. Really enjoyed this one. A long finish with honey and peat. Sweet and spicy at the same time. Am now convinced that it would be worth while to save up for the HP18. Is it worth saving that little extra and going for the HP30?
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:55 am

martin grant wrote:
les taylor wrote:Hi Martin the sample that you have is probably HP12

Sorry Les, I should have said HP12 in the first place. Really enjoyed this one. A long finish with honey and peat. Sweet and spicy at the same time. Am now convinced that it would be worth while to save up for the HP18. Is it worth saving that little extra and going for the HP30?

I would recommend you to go first for the HP 18 and then to the 25YO or 30Yo afterwards. Personnaly, I found the 30 YO quite thin.
http://www.whisky-news.com/En/tasting.html#20Mar06

corbuso
--------------
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:44 am

I thought the 30 was woody and dry. I much prefer the 25, a really splendid dram.

I've noted elsewhere that I have a bottle of HP 16 from a duty-free shop, and found it very light and bland. Has anyone else tried this?
Deactivated Member

Postby Bullie » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:36 pm

Here is my note on the 16yo HP:

Highland Park 16 yo OB 40%
Nose: Honey and a wee touch of rum/rubber. Dark chocolate notes. Coffée and leather.
Palate: Medium and dry body. Smoke and peppermint. Liqorice. Quite woody and stringent.
Finish: Long and peaty. Honey and orangepeel.
Comments: Tasting in Malmö with HP Global Brand Ambassador, Mr Gerry Tosh. Be careful with the water...
Score: 86
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:50 pm

Martin - I'd recommend the 18. It knocks spots off the 12yo IMHO - and the 12 is a fine fine dram.
The 25yo is a whisky apart. The first time I tried it, I couldn't understand why it was so much more expensive than the 18 (which you could buy 3 of for the same money). However, I now get it and I do think it is the pick of the HPs. Unlike TattieHeid, I thought the 30 yo was something special but if pushed I think I'd still plump for the 25yo.
Deactivated Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:27 pm

peergynt323 wrote:I've heard that the low end signatory bottlings are not so special, but EVERY bottling of Highland Park that I've had is complex and fascinating. It must be one of the more versatile distilleries because sherried or not sherried it always impresses me.

peergynt I cannot recall if you mentionned in my other post but I am curious as to how you feel about peat?
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:05 pm

Picked up a bottle of HP18 for £45 at the weekend. Oh my God!! This is a fantastic dram. Spent a thoroughly enjoyable Saturday evening sat in the garden with a glass in my hand smoking a small cohiba. Thanks to everyone who suggested I try this one. Now I'm just worried I'm developing expensive tastes
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:13 pm

martin grant wrote:Picked up a bottle of HP18 for £45 at the weekend. Oh my God!! This is a fantastic dram. Spent a thoroughly enjoyable Saturday evening sat in the garden with a glass in my hand smoking a small cohiba. Thanks to everyone who suggested I try this one. Now I'm just worried I'm developing expensive tastes

Snap .....

I bought one this week-end als but will have to wait delivery :cry: but I have a bottle of the 12yo to tidy me over :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:57 pm

I haven't tried it myself yet, but I have heard great things about the HP18. It is the next whisky I plan to purchase.

My local spirits dealer says that if he ever had the misfortune to have to pick just one whisky to survive some kind of global nuclear war, it had to be the HP18.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder