Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Drinks change with seasons?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Drinks change with seasons?

Postby just1otherguy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:06 pm

Does anybody else notice that your preferences change with the seasons?
If so, what do you drink for each season?

For me, as the weather warms I don't desire SMW as much. Instead I go for a blend over ice or gin and club soda--never cared for tonic much. Also, I've discovered I like Irish whiksies and have been drinking the standard Jameson, usually on ice or with club soda. I just want something I can crowd with ice and is light and refreshing.
just1otherguy

Postby Wave » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:35 pm

Welcome to the forum just1otherguy.

I tend to drink more blends in the summer and usually just over ice.
For an extra treat I use springwater to make my icecubes. :)

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:45 pm

Hi Just1otherguy and welcome to the forum. I want you to picture the setting a hot summer's day get's to the evening. Good BBQ with meat that been marinating allday with some quality butchers sausages. Nice mixed salad. Couple of beers whilst your cooking. Then a good Red with the meal. Then after the meal your lounging on the garden loungers in the garden, the stars are out. What could be better than to finish that with a good malt.

I rest my case. You can have a malt any time of year. 8)

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:18 pm

I pretty much have a few whiskies that never go out of season for me... Whether it is Talisker 10, Laphraoig QC or Redbreast 12yo amonst others. I just love to drink these all year around but then there are days like the one les describes when while sitting out the back in the sun shine there is nothing better thab a bourbon on ice with a fat cigar 8)
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:18 pm

Nope i drink Ardbeg whatever the time of Year !
One of the best experiences i ever had was drinking Lord of The Isles with my good woman on the Ardbeg pier , on a gloriously hot Ardbeg Feis Ile Day with Clann an Drumma playing in the background (i mean playing not on CD ) a lone Swan drifting by ....
Bliss!
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wave » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:48 pm

Now throw in about 80~90% humidity like it can get here in the Midwest (we call it the tropics without a beach) and it's to the point where you don't even want to be outside drinking without something cold in your hand. :wink: I save the malts for when I'm inside by the air-conditioner! :P

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:44 pm

Hi J1OG - welcome to the forum.
Can't say I've really thought about it. Used to do the whole cocktail/Pimms on the lawn thing when I was younger but to be honest, I prefer whisky - snow or sun 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby just1otherguy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:15 pm

[quote="Wave"]Now throw in about 80~90% humidity like it can get here in the Midwest (we call it the tropics without a beach) and it's to the point where you don't even want to be outside drinking without [i]something[/i] cold in your hand. :wink: I save the malts for when I'm inside by the air-conditioner! :P

[i]Cheers![/i][/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean. We try to keep the air-conditioning off as long as we can stand it. So sitting down to a smokey scotch in a humid house makes me not feel so good. :wink:
just1otherguy

Postby Quaichuser » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:32 am

Over the years I have found the type of whisky I drink will vary with the time of day and the temperature.

I tend to go with the lighter of the Speysides or Irish in the heat of the day and save the heavier smokier whiskys for the cool of the evening.

On a really hot summer day I love a good Gin and Tonic.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:02 am

Hey just1otherguy, welcome! Oddly, I start to wonder about bourbon in the summer, not sure why. I don't drink much of it at all, and so when summer comes, I'll have a few. But mood, season, etc all play their part when it comes to drinking whisk(e)y I find.
Di Blasi

Seasonal taste changes...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:32 am

just1otherguy:
Welcome to the Forums from someone a bit to the North. I will enjoy SM drams throughout the year, but lately have taken to the odd blend in summer while camping; JW Green; Te Bheag.

When it's really hot and muggy, living on a large freshwater lake, I switch to Labatt's Blue although I also enjoy Stella Artois, Boddingtons, Sapporo or Grolsch from time to time for a change.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:37 pm

Wheat beer white wine and iced bourbon in the summer, dark ales( ideally roquefort 12) red wine and single malts in the winter. Ifeel myself drifting away from this site as the sun gets higher in the sky.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:02 pm

i do not seem to have seasonal preference for whisky, but certainly agree with a nice wheat bear during the summer..yum
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:58 pm

I definately drink more wheatbeer during summer - but probably more so because the micro breweries tend to make this as a "seasonal beer" . I drink all types of beers and ales - including porters during summer and I make no distinction between flavours of whisky either. White wine is a succes during summer though.
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld

Postby lexvo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:59 pm

I also drink all whiskies in all seasons. Saying that, I think Glenmorangie 10 is a very nice summer dram.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby mannyCA » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:31 am

in the central valley of california, when it gets over 110F (i think thats 65C if my math is right) during the day, and barely under 85-90F at night :?
the A/C works overtime, and all the ceiling fans are on, and opening the door to go outside feels like opening an oven door, i'm sorry.... but a 'dry heat' don't mean squat.
i tend to stick to the kool aid on ice. :shock:
mannyCA

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:39 am

:shock: 65C would be 149F! 110F is more like 43C.
Deactivated Member

Postby duckmcf » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:13 am

For me it's Beer, Gin & Tonic and Champagne in the summer,
Red wine and Malt Whisky in the winter,
and all of the above in Spring and Autumn.
duckmcf

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:27 am

MrTattieHeid wrote::shock: 65C would be 149F! 110F is more like 43C.

Still bloddy hot though :shock: :shock: :shock:

On one trip I did through Death Valley we stopped off at the info centre.

The girl behind the counter camly said....

'It's a cool 113 C here today' :shock:

I'm sure it was a line they liked saying

Anyway the cool climate europeans survived :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby hpulley » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:13 pm

Last summer I went camping and it was 36C! Even so I enjoyed my Bruichladdich XVII there at more of a sake temperature. I don't like bringing beer camping as I'd prefer to keep the ice for the food.

Overall I often have some lighters whiskies in the spring but I always drink Ardbeg too. I'll have a cold beer or a glass of white wine as well at times but whisky is my regular drink (before, during and after dinner as well).

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:31 pm

hpulley wrote:Overall I often have some lighters whiskies in the spring....

Is that like butane?
Deactivated Member

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:48 am

I have noticed that my preference does change with the seasons. During winter I greatly enjoy a glass of Talisker, Lagavulin or Ardbeg to keep me warm (figuritively as I live in AZ and it never gets cold enough to need to be warmed up). During the summer I find myself leaning towards Cragganmore, Glenlivet, or anything sherried. I still drink the the Islays and Talisker during the summer just not as much.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby lbacha » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:56 am

I'm not much of an outdoor whisky drinker, a nice cold beer does it for me in the heat of summer, I will definitly step inside for a good dram in the AC though.
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:50 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
hpulley wrote:Overall I often have some lighters whiskies in the spring....

Is that like butane?

Yes and obviously with whiskies having notes of tobacco in them...

For summer it's propane.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:12 pm

I guess whisky can range from sublime to ridiculous--you might say the sacred and the propane.
Deactivated Member

Postby martin grant » Fri May 04, 2007 2:54 pm

Even here in Scotland the weather is getting warmer and warmer. As it does I find myself sipping less heavy whiskies such as Islay malts and moving on to blends. I've also been drinking more beer this last month, and right now I'm enjoying a bottle of Arran blonde beer.
I must also confess to enjoying a glass of good vodka, lots of ice and some pomegranate juice. Far from hetrosexual I know, but very refreshing.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Fri May 04, 2007 3:16 pm

MG - ya big woos! Seriously tho, for me you can't beat a long cool gin (preferably Hendricks) and tonic when it's sunny and warm.

I tend to steer away from the more heavy and peatier stuff in the summer months, lighter styles like Campbeltown (Springbank 10 last night was just spot on) and Lowland (Bladnoch for me) being preferred. Also blends as you say and I find summer a great time to mix up some of the less expensive malts and blends I have with some ginger and lime for a refreshing change.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Sat May 05, 2007 1:42 am

Sheep Dip with a little ice is a nice summertime drink. :)
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder