Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What is comparable to Johnnie Walker in style?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

What is comparable to Johnnie Walker in style?

Postby Jolondon » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:34 pm

We want to take a bottle of whisky as a gift for a friend in Thailand who likes Johnnie Walker Black Label. However, I'd quite like to take him something different that maybe they can't get over there. What about Isle of Jura or something? I know that whisky has lots of different styles and I wouldn't want to get anything wildly different from JW BL as I know he likes it. Similar price point please! Thanks in advance.
Jolondon

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:21 pm

Jameson's 12yo is similar, but much better imo. Also, he might enjoy Black Bottle.

As far as single malts, I can't think of anything that truly resembles JW Black. A Talisker 10yo will definitely show him a world he's never known.
peergynt323
Gold Member

what's similar to Johnnie Walker in style?

Postby Jolondon » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:24 pm

Thank you so much for your help. Will take a look at the ones you mention. I am totally clueless about whisky...
Jolondon

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:31 pm

You might end up being cruel through trying to be kind. What if you bring him a whisky he cannot get over there and then he falls in love with it?
What will the poor guy ever do?
Elagabalus
Gold Member

what is similar in style to Johnnie Walker?

Postby Jolondon » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:01 pm

Well, you know the saying, "It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?" I think it's well worth experiencing some of the best Scotland can produce. He comes into contact with quite a few British tourists so can always persuade others to bring some over! Not sure what to get though. Is Talisker wildly different from JW Bl Label?
Jolondon

Re: what is similar in style to Johnnie Walker?

Postby Photon » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:51 pm

Jolondon wrote:Well, you know the saying, "It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?" I think it's well worth experiencing some of the best Scotland can produce. He comes into contact with quite a few British tourists so can always persuade others to bring some over! Not sure what to get though. Is Talisker wildly different from JW Bl Label?

Talisker is a component of JWB. They peaty flavor of JWB comes from it. So if he enjoys that aspect of JWB, maybe Talisker is for him. But this is a bit like saying if he likes a Hershey bar for the chocolate flavor, he'll like a 72% cacao bar -- there's a danger of taking it too far.

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby Jolondon » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:59 pm

This is getting tricky! I don't know if it's the peatiness of JWB that he likes, so it's a bit risky to go the whole hog with Talisker. What about Isle of Jura or one of the less peaty malts, or a good blend that's even better than JWB but not really expensive? Sorry for so many questions but this is a complex issue. I'm so grateful for your advice guys...
Jolondon

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:09 pm

I like JWB it's a nice blend. However I hate peat I really really cannot stand it.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:12 pm

Talisker is about as smokey as JWB--not overly so. I'm pretty sure that JWB also uses Lagavulin and/or Caol Ila to increase the smokiness.

I wouldn't recommend Isle of Jura, mainly because I hated Superstition (not that I'm right, but I am evidence that it's a risky recommendation). It tasted like cheap Chinese barbecue pork.

Perhaps you should go for a vatted malt like Peatmonster or Eleuthera? Both of those have blend-like profiles but with more personality. Good price too.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:29 pm

I'd go with Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve..... fruity and very smooth... or Highland Park 12... very nicely balanced.... if your friend likes JWB, I think he'll like these 2.... just my opin ofcourse (I like JWB and these :D )

edit.... not sure if these are standard over there or not... if they are, maybe go with Redbreast (Irish whiskey).... this is complex fruit and very tasty
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Jolondon » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:34 pm

Wow! Amazing to find such knowledge on such a wide subject. I'll raise a glass to you all and try to make a decision! I'd like to buy him something different and amazing but think I will stick with something not a million miles from JWB as I know he likes that. Anything has to be better than that Thai Mekong whisky!!! ;)
Jolondon

Postby Lawrence » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:51 pm

Perhaps you could stick with the Johnnie Walker line up and bring him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold? It's one step higher than JWB and is slightly more sweet rather than smokey. It would be a nice gift, IMHO.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby wieslaw » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:22 am

if we're going budget, get Wm Grant's Family Reserve blend as they share a cocoa tingle.
wieslaw

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:28 am

Jolondon wrote:This is getting tricky! I don't know if it's the peatiness of JWB that he likes, so it's a bit risky to go the whole hog with Talisker. What about Isle of Jura or one of the less peaty malts, or a good blend that's even better than JWB but not really expensive? Sorry for so many questions but this is a complex issue. I'm so grateful for your advice guys...

I also agree that Jura is probably not the best choice. The ten is salty, tangy, but not great. JW green is a very nice vatted malt; I really think it is underratted, complex, some depth. If he likes JW Black I would recomend something with an Island character, but something that will not blow him out of the water. Perhaps a Highland Park 12 or 18? Gentle peat, but lots of honey heather notes, sweetness for balance.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:46 am

Yes, i'd say Highland Park is the suggestion i most agree with here...

...especially the 12 if budget is an issue, followed by glenfiddich solera 15(forget the 12)

and black bottle is REALLY easy drinking.

Though ideally, if you can afford it, JW Gold would be the most logical and delicious choice IMHO.

I would think Talisker on its own may be a bit if a jump.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:48 am

Jura is not very well thought of in these parts. At a similar price point to JWB, perhaps Glenmorangie 10 or Jameson 12. Black Bush might do in a pinch.

Malts that are hard not to like, but will cost 1.5 X JWB would be malts like Glenfiddich 15 or ...what's the 15yr old from the Classic Malts range called?

I do like Lawrence's suggestion of JW Gold, but it is 2x the price of JW Black. Very honeyed and smooth. Not else much like it IMHO.

I do think that Talisker is much more peaty/smokey than JWB in my experiance.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:08 am

Frodo wrote:Malts that are hard not to like, but will cost 1.5 X JWB would be malts like Glenfiddich 15 or ...what's the 15yr old from the Classic Malts range called?

Dalwhinnie.
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:09 am

Talisker is great, but some people find it a bit harsh at first. Dalwhinnie and Highland Park 12 would be safer bets, in my view. If your friend is in or near Bangkok, he won't have much trouble finding a replacement bottle for any one of those three.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:36 pm

Lawrence wrote:Perhaps you could stick with the Johnnie Walker line up and bring him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold? It's one step higher than JWB and is slightly more sweet rather than smokey. It would be a nice gift, IMHO.

This is not the case. After JWB you now have Johnnie Walker Green.
I don't know how prices work anywhere other than my own province but I am sure it is somewhat comparable.

JWRed-28, JWBlack-45, JWGreen-57, JWGold-86, JWBlue-229.

I would also recommend the Highland Park 12. HP12-52. 8)
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Jolondon » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:19 pm

That's fantastic! I've disovered there's a shop called World of Whiskies at Heathrow so we'll be able to buy something before getting on the plane, which is good, rather than having to rely on the limited range in duty free. In UK we can't now take bottles we've bought in advance, so this is good news.

I just know I'd love to be able to buy you all a bottle of your favourite whisky as a big thank you. Am raising a virtual glass to you all now! Perhaps I will try to get into whisky myself...what would be a good one for a woman who's always found whisky too harsh?
Jolondon

Postby Lawrence » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:20 pm

Elagabalus wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Perhaps you could stick with the Johnnie Walker line up and bring him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold? It's one step higher than JWB and is slightly more sweet rather than smokey. It would be a nice gift, IMHO.

This is not the case. After JWB you now have Johnnie Walker Green.
I don't know how prices work anywhere other than my own province but I am sure it is somewhat comparable.

JWRed-28, JWBlack-45, JWGreen-57, JWGold-86, JWBlue-229.

I would also recommend the Highland Park 12. HP12-52. 8)

Johnnie Walker Green is a vatted malt and there fore is not a blended whisky; thus the blended whisky that is next in the JW line up is the Gold.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Elagabalus » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:02 pm

Jolondon wrote:That's fantastic! I've disovered there's a shop called World of Whiskies at Heathrow so we'll be able to buy something before getting on the plane, which is good, rather than having to rely on the limited range in duty free. In UK we can't now take bottles we've bought in advance, so this is good news.

I just know I'd love to be able to buy you all a bottle of your favourite whisky as a big thank you. Am raising a virtual glass to you all now! Perhaps I will try to get into whisky myself...what would be a good one for a woman who's always found whisky too harsh?

Jolondon try Balvenie 10 Founder's Reserve. Hell you'd probably also like this Aberlour 10 I'm drinking now. Both from Speyside. I would go as far as to say that to get people into scotch they should first be introduced to malts from this region. (Speyside) Just remember of course that almost all scotch/whiskies will be "harsh" to someone new to scotch. It is an acquired taste. I used to drink wine and rum and coke etc etc however now when I have a rum and coke it just doesn't do it for me. They taste to sugary sweet etc etc. I always said I would never drink scotch when I was young and sampled some of my Nana's glenfiddich. My only regret now is that she died before I discovered a taste for it. I would have loved to have shared a few glasses of various scotch with her. She always used to say she "Could never trust a man who didn't drink scotch!."
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:32 pm

Cardhu 12, it really is the signature of JWB along with a dash of talisker 10. but then why bother , try something different.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:13 am

Jolondon, you wouldn't go wrong trying anything from Highland Park, a Dalmore 12-year-old, or an Aberlour 12-year-old for starters.

Welcome to the forums!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:12 am

Jolondon wrote:I just know I'd love to be able to buy you all a bottle of your favourite whisky as a big thank you. Am raising a virtual glass to you all now! Perhaps I will try to get into whisky myself...what would be a good one for a woman who's always found whisky too harsh?

In order of cost...

- Balvenie Doublewood
- Glenmorangie Portwood
- Jameson 18
- Johnny Walker Gold

- [Perhaps] Crown Royal 15 (Limited Edition)
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder