Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

8yo Unpeated Caol Ila ..... whats the crack with it?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

8yo Unpeated Caol Ila ..... whats the crack with it?

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:49 am

Morning Girls (or afternoon / evening depending on your time zone)

Diageo launched in the summer the Caol Ila 8yo unpeated. As soon as it was released it went again. There were 12000 bottles of the stuff.

Anyone tried it?

Anyone seen one sell secondhand (wash my mouth out)?

Thoughts and opinions please.

Dog

the dog is in his kennel
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:57 am

Yes, it's interesting for sure, and I haven't seen it in shops I've checked online, so I too wondered about it. It came to Norway, and was quite reasonable considering alcohol level 59.9%, at 500kr. And sold out, so I never got my bottle I ordered. I did get a few bottles for the bar I run. When people ask for Caol Ila, it's not the one I reach for, unless they are a fan and have tried it before, then I suggest tasting it as it's good, and interesting. It was bottled in 2006, and it's what goes to blends. I guess someone tasted it and realized it should be bottled cause it's so good. And I hear they may bottle again this year. Yes, it's good, I loved it the firs time I tasted it at the Oslo Whisky Festival. Now when I taste it, it depends on the mood. Hope this helps.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:59 am

Hi,
yes, I tried this at the CI Masterclass in Munich's wgisky festival.

I don't have the link handy, but I certainly posted my notes on here either under the Munich festival in "events", or under one of the tasting discussions ('now' or "last night").
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:23 pm

MT you must be having a lot of late nights. What is a Wgisky festival. :wink:

One bottle here not tried it yet. From Di Blasi's comments it's definetly one to try soon.

:)
les taylor

Postby Ann-Helen » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:59 pm

I have tried it when we were at Mac Y in Denmark in january we were there on a privat tasting ( they are one of Denmarks biggest spiritus/ rum /whisky importers )
I didn`t write down anything but I do remember thinking that I thought it was nothing special.
That being said it doesn`t mean it was bad. :)
You see we had heard so much about it before trying it.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:30 pm

Can anyone give a cheap and dirty comparison? "It's kind of like a Glen Googly 15", "it reminded me of an Inchmore 10"?
Deactivated Member

Postby vintagemaltwhisky1973 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:27 pm

Hi,

I see http://www.whiskyshopdufftown.co.uk has Caol Ila 8 year old unpeated in stock for £32.17,not sure if it's the limited edition or is this now a run of the mill bottling.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Vintagemaltwhisky1973.
vintagemaltwhisky1973

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:24 pm

Hmm, not sure if I can give a comparison to any whisky as such...

The Caol Ila 8yo did taste slightly peaty to me, not smoky but peaty. I quite like it personally. Nice heathery notes on the palate, due to the young age some 'green' fruit also. All in all, very clean and pleasant taste.

You can still find it in some shops, such as weinquelle in Germany, or Potstill.org of Austria.
Deactivated Member

Re: 8yo Unpeated Caol Ila ..... whats the crack with it?

Postby Lawrence » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:53 pm

adogranonthepitch wrote:Morning Girls (or afternoon / evening depending on your time zone)

Diageo launched in the summer the Caol Ila 8yo unpeated. As soon as it was released it went again. There were 12000 bottles of the stuff.

Anyone tried it?

Anyone seen one sell secondhand (wash my mouth out)?

Thoughts and opinions please.

Dog

the dog is in his kennel

Actually I think there's an interseting sub text to this whisky;Diageo, the largest drinks company in the world has now changed its perception of it's customers. They know that we will not be confused about normal peated Caol Ila and the unpeated "Highland" Caol Ila, this is a huge break through. Theay are also delving into their warehouse to bring out oddities for us to try, I think it's brilliant and hope we see more of it in the future.

I have a bottle but have not opened it yet. I also had a bottle seized by Customs. :evil:

Another interesting side note is the distillery manager who ran Caol Ila (and Lagavulin) when this whisky was made is not retired and is a member of the scotch club I run. I asked him about caol Ila 8 and he remarked, Ah, Yes, Caol Ila Highland, I've been away from the palce for years now so the stuff should be safe to drink again! :D He's very funny at all times.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:08 pm

vintagemaltwhisky1973 wrote:Hi,

I see http://www.whiskyshopdufftown.co.uk has Caol Ila 8 year old unpeated in stock for £32.17,not sure if it's the limited edition or is this now a run of the mill bottling.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Vintagemaltwhisky1973.

And thanks for that link vintagemaltwhisky1973! I may have to pick up a bottle then when I'm there. Gosh, or something else they have, nice selection, and prices seem quite fair too!
Di Blasi

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder