Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

glen catrine

All your whisky related questions answered here.

glen catrine

Postby shachaf » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:47 am

i need a little help with a bottle of bleended scotch whisky i found in some magzine.
it called "glen catrine", 8 years old, and on his label it says: "bottled by Glen Catrine blenders"
i can't find details about this bottle anywhere.
can anyone help me and tell me detalis like until what year this
Distillery worked? or what was it's price? or what is the taste of it?
thank you
shachaf

Postby wandering pict » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:57 pm

Glen Catrine are the bottling part of Loch Lomond Distillers. This bottling will be a blend mainly with their grain whisky. They also carry out some malt distilling at their Loch Lomond Distillery and own Glen Scotia Distillery ( although this distillery which produces a good dram suffers from their lack of attention and investment)
wandering pict

Postby Leither » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:10 pm

I had a nip of this a couple of weeks ago in one of Leith Walks finest drinking dens for £1 a measure - horrible sickly sweet stuff, much like Bells but sweeter and darker, so I would suspect much artificial caramel.

Would expect to see it for under £10 a bottle in some dodgy back street off licence somewhere nearby.

I think the best way of putting it is that it is a standard value blend probably aimed at the mass market, suprised it was in a mag. Lots of the old boys were drinking it for £1.50 for a nip and a half pint 'OAP special'.

I'll now stick to Black Bottle in such establishments!
Leither
Gold Member

Postby wandering pict » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:31 pm

Well I haven't tried it but I have tried a few other products from this distiller and in my opinion, apart from recent samples of Glen Scotia, the rest are way below average and not worth the purchase.
There was a thread on another whisky forum which reckoned that the single malts made at Loch Lomond were amongst the worst whiskies ever tasted by several contributers.
wandering pict

Postby Lawrence » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:39 am

Huh. I had a bottle last year of the Croftengea and thought that for a young whisky it was actually quite good, lots of sherry and peat smoke. I have the rest of the line up but have not opened them yet. Our club had a SMWS Croftengea last year that was REALLY good. It's a distillery (Loch Lomond) that's getting better and I think we'll see great things from it soon.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder