Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenmorangie Port Wood

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Glenmorangie Port Wood

Postby xcel » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:21 pm

I was a bit disappointed after trying a dram of this malt. The only thing I liked about it was the copper hue color. The nose was a bit different then the original 10yo, but I felt the palate wasn't much of a difference.

This was my first Port wood finish, and I guess my expectations were too high. I do notice a a bit of the port influence but it's so small. It's completely different in Sherry finished whiskies where I clearly get the sherry notes and makes a big difference in the whisky.

I wanted to know is that common with Port finished whiskies. Does the port not impart as much character as the Sherry casks?
xcel

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:29 pm

It will depend on the length of time in the port pipe, of course. It's fairly strong in the Balvenie PortWoods, as I recall. I imagine the subtlety of the Glenmorangie finish is a matter of the blender's preference. Everyone will have a different idea of what's enough and what's too much.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:37 am

What I find interesting is that this is one of the very few drams that has got cheaper in recent times.

Three years ago, it was retailing for $90 locally. It is now retailing for $76.

I have no idea why. Has this occurred in any other markets?

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby xcel » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:16 am

It was about $40US, I don't know how much it used to be.
I can't see myself buying this over the regular 10yo, which is about $33.
xcel

Postby Leither » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:47 am

Supermarket prices here are circa £27 for the GM portwood - but often discounted down to approx £20 so I stock up then.

http://www.sainsburystoyou.com/webconne ... 5589444614

Morangie 10 is circa £25 but again often discounted.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby zippy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:33 pm

I have not tried a lot of port finished whiskies - apart from the Glenmorangie I have had the Bowmore port finish (dawn?)

In both cases I find the port too strong and overwhelming - it's almost like putting ribena in whisky - I'd rather drink whisky unadulterated by port (and vice versa)
zippy

Postby middlecut » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:53 am

I really enjoy the port woods. The Glenmorangie is one of my favorites but my prize possession is the Bunnahabain port wood I bought after my mighty fine tour last year!

I do agree with Mr T. the Belvenie is great if you don't like too much of the port. It just adds a nice richness.

The Bowmore has a great nose and palate .. like eating a blackcurrant liquorice sweet in a burning hospital ! though the finish is long you may think you have been eating a bar of soap after 15 minutes!

Here are my thoughts on the Glenmorangie (click the pic if you have flash installed and can be bothered to jump to a new site for a moment)

oops I did it again (sorry it was just the easiest thing to do)! :twisted:
middlecut

Postby Les Paul » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:35 am

I think this is fantastic whisky. I have thoroughly enjoyed my bottle.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:17 am

middlecut wrote:The Bowmore has a great nose and palate .. like eating a blackcurrant liquorice sweet in a burning hospital !

I'll have to try that sometime.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder