Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Least consistant distillery?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Least consistant distillery?

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:45 pm

Is there general agreement on what distillery produces the least consistant bottles of whisky?
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:13 pm

Edradour by a country mile, I've had 5 different bottles of the 10 yr old(4 were minis) and they range from crap to brilliant, 2 good ones , 2 bad ones , one ok one. It hasnt been a sulphur cask issue either.

As to general agreement ??
Scotchio
Gold Member

glenlivet

Postby richard » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:31 pm

at this moment in time the 12 year old glenlivet it in my favourite bar for me every saturday not to many malt drinkers im afraid it changes from bottle to bottle its all over the place

i sent one back for a friend they sent him another and said they were happy with it met there required standards the only problem i have is it not consistent

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:39 pm

I had one bottle of Edradour that was fabulous, biscuity and sweet. And another that was perfumed and weak. Not undrinkable, but definitely not enjoyable.

I have had a little variation in Bowmore 17yo as well. Not FWP, just variation.

Macallan 12yo is another one I've felt a lot of variation in.

But I think the general consensus would be Edradour and Bowmore.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:58 pm

Macallan 12 has huge batch variation, to me. Linlithgow is a candidate, for odd to subplime.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:27 am

Definitely Macallan, IMHO.

There seems to be a change (either for better or worse) about every 6-9 months with their standard 12yo offering, be it Fine Oak or sherry version.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:38 am

Perhaps that explains why I enjoyed my last bottle of Macallan 12 (sherry version) so much when I've been really lukewarm on it in the past.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:34 pm

Talisker 10 seems to have batch variation but even the lesser stuff still is good.

However I agree with Edradour and Bowmore I've had the soapy effect from both of those distilleries that I did not like but Bowmore 17 is a cracker.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:43 pm

Edradour for sure though Tobermory Distillery is pretty close.
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:06 pm

Bowmore is my vote as well. Only the 12yo has failed to disappoint me over the years. The 15yo, 17yo, and especially the finishes have been extremely variable.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:16 pm

I'll vote for Edradour as well, even though the batch variation is something that they expect when they make their whisky, they are too small to mix and match barrels to get one standard expression.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:22 pm

I dont think it's so much batch variation that we should be focusing on but bad batch variation.

As mentioned above smaller distilleries and smaller batch runs won't neccessarily produce an identical product but they should produce a good one.

I think we should consider consistencey more to do with the quality of the product rather than the taste.

Aberlour a'bhunadh could be considered very inconsistant in regards to taste but all I've tasted so far are all ace so the quality is totally consistant in my opinion.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby lbacha » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:39 pm

The problem is a'bhunadh is a bad example, the distillery pics and chooses the best casks to make that expression and they have alot to choose from The rest gets married with other casks to make their other expressions. Edradour doesn't have that luxury. They have to bottle everything they make into their standard expression with just a few casks going to other bottlings. Now that they are making their peated version they have even fewer casks to choose from for their standard 10. I have been disappointed that they allow some of the bottles get out that they do, but business is business. The last few bottles I've tasted seem decent though so maybe that is a thing of the past.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:51 pm

No easy to these small guys I suppose.

Probably just a matter of time before they get some decent consistencey going.

Cooley were the same when they started. Eventhough a much bigger operation the Malt going into the likes of Tyrconnell were too young at the start. However they never really had an issue with soapiness which is the main factor that can put me off a dram.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby lbacha » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:06 pm

I'm not sure where that flavor comes from but I have had some very off Edradour 10. I have also had some very good bottles so hopefully they have solved the problem.
lbacha
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder