Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Worst Whisky Packaging Ever!!

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Worst Whisky Packaging Ever!!

Postby Onefortheditch » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:49 pm

What is the worst whisky packaging ever?

For me its the new Glen Grant plastic tube. Its designed to make you break the bottle and really annoy you in the process!!
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:50 am

Not so much a matter of packaging as of marketing design--I've felt my intelligence was insulted by the JMR Easy Drinking Whisky Co's cartoony "Whisky for Dummies" theme. As for packaging itself, I think Glenrothes treads a fine line. The strapped cardboard "crate" is unique and kind of cool, but the alternate plastic tube seems designed for the purpose of fitting a stubby peg into a svelte hole (and let's not think too long about that). Kind of like platform shoes, shoulder pads, and a big hat.
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:11 am

Finally - I've shaken the haunting image of Mr. T. in a dress - having replaced it with Mr. T. in: platform shoes, shoulder pads, and a big hat...

...and I ain't going near the "stubby peg into a svelte hole" comment...

WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:19 am

I think Bruichladdich tins with landskape pictures are particularly kitch. It's almost as bad as crying gipsy girl paintings.
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby pmullin » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:37 am

In general, I do not like to bash other people's honest work, but...

One of the local liquors store stocks Highland Harvest Organic Whisky. When I first saw the stuff, I honestly asked myself why a bottle of liquid household cleaner was in the store.

I haven't tried the stuff, so I can't comment on what's in the bottle.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:39 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:I think Bruichladdich tins with landskape pictures on are particularly kitch. It's almost as bad as crying gipsy girl paintings.

Well, there you go--I like the 'Laddie tins. Some of those landscapes are great goff holes.

WestVanDave wrote:Finally - I've shaken the haunting image of Mr. T. in a dress - having replaced it with Mr. T. in: [i]platform shoes, shoulder pads, and a big hat...

Not me. I left my hat in San Francisco. I'm really uneasy about the fact that you spend so much time picturing me, Dave.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:52 am

MrTattieHeid wrote: Well, there you go--I like the 'Laddie tins. Some of those landscapes are great goff holes.

Spot on Mr T! Taste is subjective of course - well illustrated by the fact that I'm constantly drawn towards the Glenlivet box with fake leather etc. And many around here have expressed their distaste with it.

I've ordered a rum (Pampero Aniversario) which is delivered in an absolutely terrible leather bag. I'll post a picture of it next week when I get it (it's not whisky but I hope it's alright? ) .
Mr Fjeld

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:09 am

The least attractive is the clear Bowmore labels, and not because they're clear or because I can't read the label or whatever. The design is tacky.

I'm not a big fan of signatory un-chillfiltered bottles. Very boring for an indie. The decanters for the cask strength bottlings are very nice though.

And the octagonal box for the OMC bottlings is also tacky in a seventies kind of way...although for all I know it might be from the seventies. Anyway, definitely not timeless.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:06 am

The Bruichladdichs with pictures of Jim McEwan posing on them.
Aidan

Postby killerwhale » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:44 am

The Bruichladdichs with pictures of Jim McEwan posing on them

have not seen these... thank goodness, sounds disturbing :?
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby parvus » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:16 am

My biggest offender is Smokehead, it's like a thesaurus exploded in the printing factory.
parvus
Silver Member

Re: Worst Whisky Packaging Ever!!

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:03 am

Onefortheditch wrote:What is the worst whisky packaging ever?

For me its the new Glen Grant plastic tube. Its designed to make you break the bottle and really annoy you in the process!!

Sounds like a post for the "ever spilled good whisky" (or something like that), thread!!!
Di Blasi

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:18 am

Killerwhale wrote:-

have not seen these... thank goodness, sounds disturbing

KW its the PC5. On the tube and the bottle label. It's Lord Jim relaxing in one of the warehouses. It's got a Brokeback mountain kind of feel to it.

:roll:
les taylor

Postby bamber » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:20 pm

les taylor wrote:Killerwhale wrote:-

KW its the PC5. On the tube and the bottle label. It's Lord Jim relaxing in one of the warehouses. It's got a Brokeback mountain kind of feel to it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Not technically a whisky but remember the Strawberry Kiss whisky liqueur... I mean come on....
I could not even see Barbie liking this. :roll:

In relation to whisky I've never really liked the Isle of Jura bottle shape and the old stly label was a bit garish eventhough the superstition does not look too bad.

Ok _______________________ Bad

Image Image
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:21 pm

BAMBER I THANK YOU 8)
les taylor

Postby killerwhale » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:06 pm

lol.... :lol:

Irish....Strawberry Kiss whisky liqueur :shock: .... nasty.
I do like the Superstition though..... kind of funky
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:08 pm

KW I THANK YOU 8)
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:28 pm

Yes, I agree, that Jura Superstition is horrendous. I thought it was meant for the Norwegian market when I first saw it a few years back, as the importer called it the XO of whisky! Ha ha lame, like I'm gonna fall for that Cognac-like sales pitch!!! HA HA! Try again!
Di Blasi

Postby Frodo » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:30 pm

I tried the Jura Legend and was mildly impressed. Not the same thing of course, but I like Jura...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:10 pm

Cardhu 12yo looks like an ugly bottle. Makes sense that Spain is their biggest market. They've alwasy had an eye for ugly looking bottles in that country - like the Faustino Rioja bottles.
Mr Fjeld

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:25 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Yes, I agree, that Jura Superstition is horrendous. I thought it was meant for the Norwegian market when I first saw it a few years back, as the importer called it the XO of whisky! Ha ha lame, like I'm gonna fall for that Cognac-like sales pitch!!! HA HA! Try again!

The packaging isn't as bad as what's inside. 8)
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:38 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote: I've ordered a rum (Pampero Aniversario) which is delivered in an absolutely terrible leather bag. I'll post a picture of it next week when I get it (it's not whisky but I hope it's alright? ) .

I saw that one last week, reminded me of a dried elephant scrotum. :shock:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:43 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote: I've ordered a rum (Pampero Aniversario) which is delivered in an absolutely terrible leather bag. I'll post a picture of it next week when I get it (it's not whisky but I hope it's alright? ) .

I saw that one last week, reminded me of a dried elephant scrotum. :shock:

:lol: :lol: Priceless!

Seriously though, most whisky bottles/boxes are usually quite austere and traditional - and good looking. It's cognac bottles and decanters that really take the prize. Some of them look like they've been nicked from Mari Antoinette's wardrobe.........
Mr Fjeld

Postby Onefortheditch » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:20 pm

I like the Laddie tins too!!

The Glen Grant tube is made of tin as well as plastic. It opens above the middle. There is no guidance and you have to put it in a vice to twist and pull the plastic clips out of the tin rim. Using a hammer or saw crossed my mind.

I haven't spilled it yet, but each time I heave the tube apart the bottle almost goes flying through the air!! What were they thinking aboot when they came up with this one??

The picture is the normal Glen Grant logo which I like.

And the whisky isn't that great.
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:40 am

Lawrence wrote:I saw that one last week, reminded me of a dried elephant scrotum. :shock:

I don't know about you BC lads...first there's Dave, who spends all his time thinking about me dressed in women's clothing. Now this. I daren't even ask when and under what circumstances you might have experienced a dried elephant scrotum so that you could be reminded of it. Perhaps you boys have, shall we say, a rich fantasy life!
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:47 am

les taylor wrote:Killerwhale wrote:-

Yeah, he could be kicking his spurs against a barrel. I could be completely wrong, but I'm nearly sure I've seen his picture on other bottles too. Maybe he will be on all the stuff he distilled himself.

The new Bowmore bottles are just like Smirnoff bottles. I don't like them at all.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:41 am

The Ardbeg museum case complete with white gloves.
Dear me - shocking!
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:48 am

Crieftan wrote:The Ardbeg museum case complete with white gloves.
Dear me - shocking!

Yeah, absolutely. Maybe it was supposed to be tongue in cheek. Designed for collectors.
Aidan

Postby hpulley » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:02 pm

Aidan wrote:
Dear me - shocking!

Yeah, absolutely. Maybe it was supposed to be tongue in cheek. Designed for collectors.

From LVMH I doubt it was tongue in cheek. They have shown great restraint so far in that the Ardbeg Collection does not contain a matching Ardbeg green leather Louis Vitton handbag for £2000.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:36 pm

hpulley wrote:
Aidan wrote:
Dear me - shocking!

From LVMH I doubt it was tongue in cheek. They have shown great restraint so far in that the Ardbeg Collection does not contain a matching Ardbeg green leather Louis Vitton handbag for £2000.

Harry

If you lost the gloves, how could it be poured? God forbid if anyone actually touched the glass.
Aidan

Postby kljostad » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:37 pm

I bought a bottle of Valinch at Bruichladdich a few weeks ago. I had to put the stickers on myself. The label had a picture of the queen of England. I asked if I had to, but the law said that they couldn't sell bottles without labels, so I had to put it on. But I put in on the box instead, so I don't have to look at her when i poor myself a drink.

But besides the Valinch, I also like the metal boxes from Bruichladdich.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:21 pm

kljostad wrote:I bought a bottle of Valinch at Bruichladdich a few weeks ago. I had to put the stickers on myself. The label had a picture of the queen of England.

Putting the labels on is part of the fun! You can always draw a mustache on her later.

Surprised that one is still going--I bought the same in October. It would be fun to see if it tastes any different after six months sitting in the shop.
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:34 pm

They've just set up a new Valinch , a 1990 , Hopefully Marys put one aside for me as per usual . The Queens birthday one was a pretty good 1988 sherry cask . Can't think of any really bad packaging at the moment tho the new Balblair is a bit hard on the eyes . Not too hot on the new Bowmore design (still love the Screen printed ones....)
Still think The Ardbeg packaging is the best but then i would say that........
:wink: 8)
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:36 am

I think the ugliest bottle of Whisky I own, must be the Doulglas Lang's Single Barrel 7 years old Laphroaig.

But as with not so pretty women, there tends to be something lovely underneath worth investigating... :)
kljostad
Bronze Member

Next

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder