Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

info wanted re: tasting notes on these blends

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

info wanted re: tasting notes on these blends

Postby killerwhale » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:13 am

Whyte & Mackay Special Reserve
Chivas Regal 12

any tasting notes appreciated.... these are two that I may purchase next....
also, Whyte & Mackay Special Reserve have recently changed labels, the new one is Glasgow blend or something like that.... any difference to the regular (old) label W&M??

thanks for help.... :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:29 am

Prepare to be disappointed ....
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:50 am

:LFW used to reckon the WM 21 yr old was the best whisky they sold. keep an open mind. Tish tish Bamber!
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:42 pm

Sorry Steve :) The 12yo W&M is not to shabby either ....

To be a bit less flippant, I've got through a litre of the NAS W&M. It's ok, for a mass produced blend. No tasting notes I'm afraid. Better to try a mini or get a dram in a pub IMO.

The Chivas ! Very very flat and uninteresting. Not my thing at all. It is easy to drink though.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:54 pm

bamber wrote: The Chivas ! Very very flat and uninteresting. Not my thing at all. It is easy to drink though.

I think the last part says it all, it is very easy to drink, good comment.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby killerwhale » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:11 pm

thanks.... :)

W&M I may pass on..... Chivas, will probably get a small bot. just for the experience....
killerwhale
Gold Member

I'm impressed

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:37 am

Simon:
I very impressed with the breadth of your interest in whisky. It's very sensible to get out there and try not only the SM's but also the blends. If you continue in this manner, you will have a solid well-rounded knowledge of whisky.
I have to revisit many of the blends of my youth to see what changes have occurred, thanks to your lead.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:50 am

bamber wrote:The Chivas ! Very very flat and uninteresting. Not my thing at all. It is easy to drink though.

It's even easier not to.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby The Dazzler » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:07 am

Have not tried any Whyte and McKay which has been fantastic enough to rave about however Chivas Reagal is a nice blend, the 18yo in particular is a great example of how blends should be!! Try also 18yo Dewars if it is available close by.

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby killerwhale » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:11 am

thanks Peter for the kind words :)
my wallet may not like me trying different malts though I look at it as an education, mostly enjoyable (save for that bottle of Ballantines!! :lol: ), so I would like to increase my base tastings of malts/blends.....
I'd like to get hold of that Phillip Hills book that you mentioned, though can't seem to find it in my town atm.... guess I will have to look elsewhere for a copy :?

regarding chivas 18, I was just looking at some info on this blend today and I would very much like to try it (have put it on my list).... the regular 12 will be first however....
re: dewars, there is only the 12 and white label avail., so I will have try one of those....

Laddie..... lol..... :lol: yes it is easier to not try it, but I must, I am compelled..... :lol:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:16 am

I had a dram or two of the 18 at a tasting and really enjoyed it. The Royal Salute was even better.

I've had plenty of the 12, and don't particularly care for it. Too bland and grainy for me.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby killerwhale » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:23 am

thanks shoganai, everything I have read so far on the 18 looks good...
it's $86 here ..... but will try it sometime for sure
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby middlecut » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:17 pm

Not so long back someone on here gave me the idea to start a session with a blend.. just to get your flavour buds in the right direction.

It also happend that the bar I go to after sporting on a turesday night doesn't have and single malts, so last week my friend and I tried a Black label agains a chivas regal. The chivas won hands down but that doesn't say much.

So last night I decided to start a little session with a chivas. Which actually isn't all that bad. It's very sweet and quite malty with a very faint whiff of smoke but I don't think they really blended the best barrels for this one. Quite bland in the end ..and nothing to write home about.

However what I really enjoyed about the chivas... is that afterwards the Glengoyne 17 was absolutely excellent.
middlecut

Postby killerwhale » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:36 am

thanks for post... always good to get as many opins as possible......
I'll pick up a bottle next (bought a SM today though won't open it up.... will wait until another bottle is gone) :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:53 am

I actaully think the 12yo is decent, yes, thin but a touch spicy, I think I scored it in the 60s. The 18 is dislike a great deal, to me it is just strange tasting, graining with some bitter oak, flatter than flat, i think i scored it under 50...(my notes are not handy)..

the 21 royal salute is lovely. Very fruity and sweet, without being sicky sweet, some great depth, oaky balance...one of the best noses I have had...for the price, not a great deal, but enjoyable...

My favorite cheap blend is White horse(15 bucks for a 750ml), which has an Islay Flavor (says Lagavulin right on the bottle), not to grainy, fun. I actaully fine J and B not bad either.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:22 am

thanks Drrich1965.

I'll try the 12 soon.
regarding White Horse, we can't get that here though I certainly would like to try it. Too bad our selection is so limited :(
killerwhale
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder