Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Penderyn

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Penderyn

Postby shoganai » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:58 pm

I'm looking to treat myself this weekend (although I probably shouldn't as I kind of over-indulged last night), and am wondering what people think of Penderyn Single Malt Welsh whisky.

There's a store near me with one bottle for about $70. I don't recall seeing an age statement. Has anyone had this stuff before? What's it like? Is that a good price?
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:12 am

Have enjoyed two bottles. Remen iscent of Glenmorangie Ten as I recall, but a bit stronger(at 46%) and sweeter perhaps. i recall vanilla and lemons...quite rich. a slight bitter note on the 2nd bottle, but still really nice.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:54 am

They only started distillation in 2000. I've had only a mini, but I will say it's surprisingly nice given its age. Their process is rather peculiar, single potstill distillation, as I recall--or maybe it's not exactly a potstill; I know there's something odd about it. I think they were doing a lot of light madeira finishing, presumably to smooth it out a bit.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly to be a little more definitive than I!
Deactivated Member

Postby shoganai » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:04 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Hopefully someone will be along shortly to be a little more definitive than I!

Hopefully, or I might be forced to buy the bottle to answer my own question (which I've already pretty much talked myself into).
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby kljostad » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:10 am

The Whisky expert at my local Winemonopoly recomended it warmly. In fact he was so convinsing that I am plannin to buy a bottle in the near future.

If you buy one before me, I wouldn't mind if you update the thread on what you think of it. :D
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:23 pm

Shogani I've had two bottles of Pendyryn and have a third untouched. I think it's lovely almost honeyed in flavour too. It's one that that appeals to the ladies as well. As for price with the current dollar to pound rate. That price is pretty good. You should be happy with that.

Definetly buy you won't be dissappointed on price or content.

Les.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:02 pm

les taylor wrote:Definetly buy

Aye aye!

Thanks for the comments, Les. I think I'm going to go for it. I'll report back later tonight.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:26 pm

Yes, go ahead and buy it, it's very good, I'm quite sure you'll like it. Keep in mind that's it's not a 12 yo but a younger whisky with some elbows here and there. I had it extensively at the Victoria Whisky Festival in January and really enjoyed it.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:11 pm

Must say I wasn't overly impressed by this one. It struck me as rather thin, chemical and consisting of not much else but an essence-like vanilla flavour.

I am certain that age has much to do with this, but at this point there is no possible way I could describe this whisky as delicious. I do hope it will imporve quite a lot with age.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:27 pm

A few of us have tried Penderyn, it is a very different (unique) dram which has an unconventional taste - almost one of gin!
Or as one of my tasters said "It's like a whisky with a shot of Bombay Sapphire in it".

Anyway, here you go:
http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3593&start=163
Deactivated Member

Postby shoganai » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:30 am

I grabbed a bottle while I was out this evening. I can't tell when it was bottled, so I have no idea how old it is. Just cracked it open now an am on my first dram. I'll post better notes at some point, but my first impressions are very positive.

It is indeed a very different kind of whisky. Begins innocent enough in the nose and the palate with some nice smooth, sweet honey and citrus tones. But then it quickly explodes with a mimosa-riffic tingle, not something I've experienced with a whisky before. It all fades a little faster than I'd like, but it does leave a pleasant aftertaste.

Good stuff.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:11 am

I've just realised, I have a few bottles of Penderyn so I may well include this in the offerings at The Arc.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:11 am

I've wanted to sample this whisky though it's a lil pricey in my area ($100 :shock: ).... I must at some point in time try it though.... need to increase my tasting notes and as my last name has some ties to Wales, it is a must :P
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:46 am

killerwhale wrote:.... need to increase my tasting notes and as my last name has some ties to Wales, it is a must :P

No, no, Killer---"whale" is a marine mammal, "Wales" is a country.

(I am assuming that your actual surname is Welsh, and you aren't already making the joke that I am. If I am mistaken, never mind.)
Last edited by Guest on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deactivated Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:49 am

aye... but killerwhale is my 'username', not my last name :wink: :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:26 pm

It is good whisky. I remember bubble gum on the nose, like Bazooka Joe gum!
Di Blasi

Postby shoganai » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:11 pm

Yes, I am quite pleased with it. I might actually grab another bottle for my non-collection.

Does anyone know how to tell what year it was bottled?
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:33 pm

shoganai wrote:Yes, I am quite pleased with it. I might actually grab another bottle for my non-collection.

Does anyone know how to tell what year it was bottled?

Sometimes there will be a code on the bottle. Although each distillery differs a bit I'm sure, generally the first letter/number is L, meaning Lot, and a 6, for example, signifying the year 2006. If you email the distillery with the full code, I'm sure they can give you exact details, or not, if it's a secret!
Di Blasi

Postby shoganai » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:39 pm

Good suggestion. I just sent them a note with whatever number I found printed on the bottle.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:44 pm

I think that on the back label it clearly states the month and year of Bottling but not the year of distilation

Should be a little box saying NOV05 (November 2005) or DEC06 (December 2006) etc.

But this is only lately... First batches mayd not have any date indication on them
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby bamber » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:15 pm

Quite possibly my least favourite distillery. Kind of reminds me of a Canadian blended whiskey. It is quite hard and seems grainy and thin to me. Seems a lot of people like it, but me and my regular whisky drinking cronies don't.

It's very very expensive too. £30 for a young (~5yo ?), 46% malt !! Is there a standard bottling that is worse value for money ? I can't think of one.

I'd like to like it. The distillery is a stones throw from me, but I can't.

Nice bottle though.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Third Eye » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:25 am

My experience with Penderyn is that it is a bit hit and miss. It's still so young. Different month releases can vary a lot in taste. My first tipple wasn't very good, although I'm assured it gets better.

The dates are usually printed directly onto the bottle in small black type (hard to see), as mentioned before, month and year.
Third Eye

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:21 pm

To be honest I'm not a huge fan either.

I find it a bit too honey sweet for my taste.
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder