Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Port Ellen bottles available from Binny's

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Port Ellen bottles available from Binny's

Postby aarkwilde » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:14 pm

A question:

I've never had the opportunity to try an expression from Port Ellen, and I'd like to try some while I still can.

Of the expressions available at Binny's online, which would be the best experience?

This is a one time shot because of the expense, and it will be opened as soon as it arrives. It's for sipping, not staring.

Thanks for any opinions and advice.

Lewis
aarkwilde

Postby kildalton » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:14 pm

I've no tasted those bottles but often I found to prefer younger port ellens so I'd go for :

Scott's Selection Port Ellen 1983-18yr Old

If the provenance 21 is a winter distillation it might be taken in account as well, I had a 18 provenance winter dist. that was really drinkable.

Anyway in general port ellen is almost ever a pleasant experinece so choose
Your weapon! :lol:
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby kljostad » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:54 pm

I haven't tasted any of these, but I got a bit of advise from the Islay Whisky Shop a few weeks ago.

They had at least 12 different Port Ellens, and they actually recomended me to go for the cheapest ones, ie the Provenance Bottlings. They said they had scored just as high as the more expensive bottles in bllind tastings.

Unfortunatley, I did not find any reviews on these, so I had to go for a Port Ellen Annual Release instead. I am still not sure that I chose right.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:58 pm

kljostad wrote:They said they had scored just as high as the more expensive bottles in bllind tastings.

Also known as good salesmanship. I would find a trusted opinion (like someone on this board) before spending that much on a bottling that you might not enjoy. From what I've heard there are good and not-so-good Port Ellens but I cannot confirm.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:18 pm

To me the Scotts selection 18yo Port Ellen looks mighty interesting, partly because it is very difficult to find younger P-E in general. Too bad it isn't cask strength.

The website really doesnt give much info about the Signatory and the Gordon & McPhails bottlings..Douglas Laing's Port Ellens have all been good so far and the Old Malt Caks bottlings are 50% so there's a bit of an extra oppmph there.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mustardhead » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:40 pm

M.R.J. wrote:To me the Scotts selection 18yo Port Ellen looks mighty interesting, partly because it is very difficult to find younger P-E in general. Too bad it isn't cask strength.

As far as I am aware, all the Scott's Selection bottlings are at cask strength. But it's worth checking in case that is a new policy.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:44 pm

M.R.J. wrote:To me the Scotts selection 18yo Port Ellen looks mighty interesting, partly because it is very difficult to find younger P-E in general. Too bad it isn't cask strength.

What?!! :shock:
Actually it is a cask strength at 55.5% (misprint by Binny's) All Scott's Selection's are at "Natural Cask Strength".
I've got a bottle of the SS '83 but haven't tried it yet though other SS bottlings I've had have been very good.

Another one to try is the Signatory Port Ellen 1979-22yr Old. I have tried this (several bottles worth! :wink: ), a fine easy drinking Islay and still fairly common around the US. It's a good and relatively inexpensive PE to cut your teeth on. :)

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:17 am

If I was in your place, and had to choose from those Port Ellen bottlings, I'd go with, in this order:
Signatory Port Ellen 1979-22yr Old (due to price since you're mostly interested in tasting to see if you like it)
Scott's Selection Port Ellen 1983-18yr Old (due to its younger age, not usual, and although it's said Port Ellen must be 20y+ and part of the reason it was closed, it would be nice to try that one.
Either one of the Douglas Laing's, always good bottlings, the Provenance or the Old Malt Cask!
Scott's Selection Port Ellen 1982-23yr Old
Gordon & Macphail Port Ellen 1982-23yr Old

Good luck, and let us know what you think!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby aarkwilde » Thu May 03, 2007 9:56 pm

Figured I'd update this. I found a Provenance 19 year old and decided to go for it. I think it will get opened this weekend.
aarkwilde

Postby Di Blasi » Fri May 04, 2007 1:24 am

Looking forward to hearing what you think about it! I'm sure you'll report good news...
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby parvus » Fri May 04, 2007 3:00 am

aarkwilde wrote:Figured I'd update this. I found a Provenance 19 year old and decided to go for it. I think it will get opened this weekend.

I've had it, and it is indeed an enjoyable drop. Not too bad on the price, also.
parvus
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder