Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Why Goodbye to Balvenie 10?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Why Goodbye to Balvenie 10?

Postby ScotchPalate » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:15 am

It ain't the best dram, but it is very good, especially for an everyday'r. I think it's a great intro to Single Malt. I thought it was popular, so why they takin' it away?

If this has been covered, I apologize, and will flog myself accordingly. Just add a liitle link, if you could be so kind. :P
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:32 pm

Start flogging! Many times. It's not being discontinued, despite rumors that have been going around for what seems like 10 years now. It is being pulled from some markets, to assure availability of the 12, which has proven to be more popular. The US is not one. This according to WhiskyCast and other sources--will look up the relevant episode later.
Deactivated Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:31 pm

I repent sir, I beg your forgiveness and mercy. I shall prepare the cat o' nine tales!!
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:11 pm

It's the rumor that won't die! "Reports of Balvenie 10's demise are greatly exaggerated," to paraphrase Twain. That's the latest I know about, anyway, although there has been so much conflicting information that I wouldn't be too surprised to be contradicted again. But I first heard the rumor almost two years ago, and if it had been true then, the stuff would surely be gone by now. (I need to update my trip diary of 2005 at my website--I was told by the guide there that it was indeed being discontinued.)

I am sure that someone will ask about this again in a few weeks! It's a regular feature here. No worries, things get repeated here all the time; there are always new people coming and going. (Gillespie repeats himself instantly, when he posts from his Blackberry.)

Incidentally, it was WhiskyCast episode 18 from February 1, 2006--you can find it in the archives there.
Deactivated Member

Postby Third Eye » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:20 am

Makes sense that a small distillery will focus on certain products.

It's a good rumour tho, especially as the official website no longer lists it in it's range or even in it's shop. (plus Jim Murray alludes to it's demise this year in the bible). Could become the most horded cheap whisky?
Third Eye

Balveine 10

Postby ccrank.freeserve.co.uk » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:18 pm

Picked up a couple at Oddbins for £19.99 Bargain!!
ccrank.freeserve.co.uk

Postby vitara7 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:36 pm

seen it in a couple of wee conrner shops for £17.99 and the 12yo @ £18.99
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:30 pm

I too fell for this rumor. I can remember last summer proudly telling a confused shop owner that I prefer the Doublewood but was buying his last 10 because I was "stocking up".
shoganai
Silver Member

That old saw...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:33 pm

As Tattieheid says, it's been beaten up several times in the forums. Sadly, some locations are getting out of Balvenie 10, one being Manitoba. If you are trapped in that backwards area it would be wise to stock up, otherwise, things are continuing on as normal here in Ontario.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder