Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan Cask Strength info wanted....

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Macallan Cask Strength info wanted....

Postby killerwhale » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:41 am

:)
I want to buy a bottle though am unsure .... the choices are:
2 different packagings of Macallan Cask, the first is with the new bottle/package (I think the abv is 58.6).... the other one is a beige box with orange stripe, the bottle has an orange label (abv is 58.8 and I see that the cask strength 10 yr is 58.8, yet this Macallan has no age statement..... so is it just a 10? or no?)also this one says Unfiltered Cask Strength while the newer one does not.

the third option I have is to get a gift pack with Mac 10, Mac 10 cask and Elegancia(sp)..... all 3 options are similar in price.

any help would be appreciated, thanks!
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:42 pm

I have the Macallan Cask Strength 10 year old, that comes in a red cardboard box. It is a long time since i last tasted it, so I had to try it today, to be able to give you a good answer.

It is al ovely dram. Heavily sherried, strong in alcohol, and quite a little bomb of a whisky. A lot og vanilla and oak, i thought. And some smokey undertones. Long beatiful aftertaste. I actualy nedded to zip it a few times before the tastebuds got used to it. But after that, it was pure joy. I can't understand why I haven't tried it lately. I certainly will drink more of it in the near future. I have no problems recomending you to try it.

I remember i bought it two years back, because Whiskymag reported it was one of the best whiskies to pair with cuban cigars. It was difficult to find, but I remember thinking it was worth it, sitting with a few of my friends, each with a nice fat cuban in one hand, and a Macallan in the other. That was a lovely night!

:D
kljostad
Bronze Member

Re: Macallan Cask Strength info wanted....

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:30 pm

killerwhale wrote::)
I want to buy a bottle though am unsure .... ...the third option I have is to get a gift pack with Mac 10, Mac 10 cask and Elegancia(sp)..... all 3 options are similar in price. ...any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Killerwhale:
If you want to do a sampling to expand your whsiky knowledge, I'd recommend option 3. I've enjoyed the Elegancia at several tastings but do not own a bottle due to scarcity. I own the CS in the red box like kljostad owns and I suspect it's the older version.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:47 am

thanks for posts!

I did an online search and found out that the orange/red label is for the US market.... I think I will buy it (only 2 bottles in store) as I think the newer packaging will take over...... so probably good to buy the 'old' package.... I'd like to try all though funds dictate.... I have read that Elegancia is a Mac light?
probably good to get it though it is a one or the other buy atm.....

thanks again!!
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:53 am

I think it is a wise choice to go with the old one. I haven't tasted the new one myself, but according to Jim Murray the new one has dropped considerably in quality.

Not that he is always right, but...
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:42 pm

I think the 3 pack is the best bet especially since none of the 3 are normally available in Canada and this particular gift pack was meant for the UK market and was bought by the BCLDB as a special Xmas purchase over a year ago. There can't be many left in BC.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder