Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lagavulin fans

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Lagavulin fans

Postby Patdf » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:00 pm

Hello all,
I leaning to purchasing a bottle of Lagavulin 16. I'm understanding from reviews that Laphroig and Lagavulin are the heaviest of peated malts. I have a bottle of Laphroig 15 and find it to be my favorite. After reading some reviews, I hear that Laphroig had a medicinal taste, and I found it to of had none. I'm hearing the same with Lagavulin, so you can see that I'm reluctant to purchase the Lagavuling. I personnaly love the heavy peaty, smokey taste without the medicine taste. Have any of you have both and could I hear some opionions?
Thank you all,
Pat
Patdf

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:16 pm

Laphroaig has the biggest reputation for medicinal taste, in the 10yo, although many think it has softened in recent years. The 15 is quite a bit different. I think you'll find Lagavulin 16 fairly comparable to Laphroaig 15, maybe a little heavier on the smoke and peat, but I wouldn't worry too much about medicinal flavors there.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:31 pm

Ditto ... the Laga is much smoother than Laph but has wafts of smoke and peat.

I love both distilleries but find them quite different.

Maybe try the Lagavulin DE PX finished if you want tonnes of peat but with something thick and sweet behind it.

This is how Loch Fyne Whiskies describe it.

Lagavulin OB 1990 16yo Distillers Edition 43%alc.

Transferred to a Pedro Ximinez (a rich unctuous sherry that the Spaniards put on their ice cream!) cask for finishing to develop a more tarry and smoky character.

Not necessarily better (than Laga 16yo) - but different - and has many fans

as opposed to the 16yo

Lagavulin OB 16yo 43%alc.

Peaty. Very dry, an explosion of full Islay characteristics subdues to a curtain call of individuals. A long drying finish that stays till bed-time. Ace.

Very highly regarded and essential on any booze tray.
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:43 pm

I will agree with the above posts, the 10 yr old Laphroaig has the most medicinal tones of the mentioned malts, the Lagavulin is alot of smoke and peat.
If you like Laphroaig then you will like most malts that are refered to as medicinal.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:23 am

Well, I do consider Lagavullin 16 a very good medicine, but when it comes to the taste, do not worry. It is a very good Whisky. If you have not tried it before, I envy you the feeling of trying it for the first time. It was one of the whiskies that contributed to sparking my interest for this beverage, and it is still one of my absolute favorites.

I would guess that most people that like Laphroiag, like Lagavullin as well. I certainly do. The Laprhoiag Quaret Cask is my favorite Laprhoiag, and the Lagavullin Distillers Edition among the Lagaullins. I urge you to try the Lagavullin 16. You will have a hard time finding better value for money. And if you like tha Laphroiag 15, I swill be quite amazed if you don’y find the Lagavullin 16 even better. :D
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:48 pm

It's one of those things like Marmite, that you either love it or hate it. I have marmite on toast every morning. I also love Lagav 16. Also the Laphroiag's of which I have 5 different expressions.

Patdf my advise is buy it. I don't think you'll reget it.

:)
les taylor

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:56 pm

Thanks Les, you just made me understand my love of the complexity of whiskies(as exemplified in this beauty we're discussing on this thread.

Ever since I was a little boy of 6 or so, I've been a sucker for Marmite and marmalade...on the same piece of well-buttered toast!

I described Ardbeg as kippers in custard the other day...and Lagavulin as Sherry and tar...

It all makes sense now!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Patdf » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:09 pm

Thank you all, I'm convinced. I picking up a bottle.

Thanks,
Pat
Patdf

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:42 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Thanks Les, you just made me understand my love of the complexity of whiskies(as exemplified in this beauty we're discussing on this thread.

Ever since I was a little boy of 6 or so, I've been a sucker for Marmite and marmalade...on the same piece of well-buttered toast!

I described Ardbeg as kippers in custard the other day...and Lagavulin as Sherry and tar...

It all makes sense now!

Reggaeblues have you tried Marmite with peanut butter on top. Man now your talking.

les taylor

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:15 pm

Lew, i never was big on Peanut butter, tho' having lived in america i had my fill of PB and Jelly sandwiches, but i promise to give it a try soon as i find a larder that contains both, The thing about marmite and marmalade is the sweet and salty trade off, the, ah,complexity!

Like i said, it parallels our favourite Island malts!

i also LOVE tahini (creamed sesame seeds) and honey...now you're talking!!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:16 pm

sorry, I meant "Les" not "Lew"!

Slip of the finger. Or the dram of Ardbeg 10 I just finished...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:24 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:sorry, I meant "Les" not "Lew"!

RB I read your first post and thought who is this impostor Lew Knicking my marmite and peanut butter ideas. Then I saw this post.

The Toast has to be hot and the butter meting when you apply the marmite and then the peanut butter. I promise once you've tried it you'll love it.

:D
les taylor

Postby Aidan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:46 pm

Patdf wrote:Thank you all, I'm convinced. I picking up a bottle.

Thanks,
Pat

I think Lagavulin 16 is the best standard range scotch available. It's my favourite scotch anyway.
Aidan

My suggestion:

Postby YK23 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:48 pm

If you like heavily peated malts without the medicinal flavor i recommend you the Lagavulin 12 Cask Strength, i'm actually heaving one right now and it's great.
YK23

Postby Patdf » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:41 am

Hello YK23,
That sounds like a nice taste. I'd like to try that also. So here goes another question. When there's someone out there that would like to purchase a bottle which is not readily available, or you haven't seen it in your local liquor store, what's your next step. That Lagavulin 12 CS is something I would like, I haven't seen it in any of the places I frequent. Please let me know how you guys seek out bottles.

Thank you,
Pat
Patdf

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:57 am

les taylor wrote:
Reggaeblues wrote:sorry, I meant "Les" not "Lew"!

RB I read your first post and thought who is this impostor Lew Knicking my marmite and peanut butter ideas. Then I saw this post.

The Toast has to be hot and the butter meting when you apply the marmite and then the peanut butter. I promise once you've tried it you'll love it.

:D

OK, sounds great! what malt would you recommend to acompany this?

Do they do breakfast malts?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:51 am

Reggaeblues wrote: Slip of the finger. Or the dram of Ardbeg 10 I just finished...

Sounds like the beginnings of a great song....... 8)
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:50 am

Lawrence wrote:
Reggaeblues wrote: Slip of the finger. Or the dram of Ardbeg 10 I just finished...

Sounds like the beginnings of a great song....... 8)

Or a great name for a band :wink:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:26 am

What,"Slip Of The Finger"? or "Ardbeg 10" or even "Dram"?

What do you reckon?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:02 am

Reggaeblues wrote:What,"Slip Of The Finger"? or "Ardbeg 10" or even "Dram"?

What do you reckon?

"Slip Of The Finger" would have to be a punk band.

"Ardbeg 10" have just lost their keyboard player due to "Musical Differences" and will now be known as "Almost There"

Paul Weller has apparrently said The Dram will never reform. The Drammed are back together (again). Dram 69 are aparrently still going down well. :wink:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Don't forget about eighties pop sensation

Dram Dram

fronted by

Single le Banff

:mrgreen:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:03 pm

"Dram 69 are aparrently still going down well." Unlike VAT 69 which is hard to find...except in my brother in law's cabinet. He doesn't know I know it's there, but when I'm next in Devon I shall sneak a peek to see if it's been opened yet.

Great responses guys...sat here trying to think up other dram friendly band=names but this dram song keeps playing on my brain:

|"We drammin', we drammin...I wanna dram it with you
'Cos I know you like drammin too...
We Ardbeg we don't bow, we pull out the stoppers now
and Talisker will see us through...etc "
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Les Paul » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:14 am

Lagavulin 16 is my best friend, my partner in life, my accomplice, my mentor. I cherish this blessed liquid that comes from some heavenly quadrant of earth I have yet to visit. Everytime I taste this nectar from the gods, I get the same feeling as when I hear a new song that hits the right note, or when a clearing sky saves an old boat. Everytime I drink this fantastic single malt, it's like hearing David Gilmour play the slide guitar solo on "High Hopes" right in front of me in a beautiful theater, like he did on April 12, 2006 in Chicago.

I do not own a bottle of Lagavulin 16; but rest assured when I do own one, I will be a sitting in a comfortable chair, single malt in hand, listening to an exquisite set of loudspeakers reproduce some fantastic song.

Lagavulin 16 makes me a better person.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:34 am

Les Paul wrote:A new song that hits the right note,
a clearing sky saves an old boat.
David Gilmour plays the slide guitar solo
in a beautiful theater, like he did in Chicago.
Deactivated Member

Postby titus » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:54 am

Talisker ten....just superb!!!
titus

Postby Les Paul » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:30 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Les Paul wrote:A new song that hits the right note,
a clearing sky saves an old boat.
David Gilmour plays the slide guitar solo
in a beautiful theater, like he did in Chicago.

8) 8) 8) :D :D

edit: the greatest two hours of my life
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:43 pm

Took delivery of Lagavulin OB 1990 16yo Distillers Edition 43%alc today 8)

Will post what I think in a couple of days.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Les Paul » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:50 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Took delivery of Lagavulin OB 1990 16yo Distillers Edition 43%alc today 8)

Will post what I think in a couple of days.

Could you send me some of it please?
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:23 am

Les Paul wrote:Lagavulin 16 is my best friend, my partner in life, my accomplice, my mentor. I cherish this blessed liquid that comes from some heavenly quadrant of earth I have yet to visit. Everytime I taste this nectar from the gods, I get the same feeling as when I hear a new song that hits the right note.

Amen Brother...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:35 pm

Could not wait to try this and burst it open the same day I got it....

Anyway I posted in another forum that I think this is a typical Lagavulin 16yo but smoother and more sherry sweetness. Still has the very dry laga charaqchter and the leather is there somewhere under the sherry too.

I still prefer the regular 16yo but the DE is still a great dram 8)
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby IainB » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:00 pm

I love both the regular and DE 16 yr olds, along with the 12yo. I can't honestly say which I think is best - it seems to depend on what mood I'm in. I drink more of the regular 16yo than the others, but I think that's just availability!

If I'm in a "non-Irish" mood in the pub the Laga 16 is what I'd usually go for if it's available. Can't seem to find a beer that goes with it though, at least not like Guinness and Powers go together.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Knolly » Sat May 05, 2007 8:59 am

IainB wrote:I love both the regular and DE 16 yr olds, along with the 12yo. I can't honestly say which I think is best - it seems to depend on what mood I'm in. I drink more of the regular 16yo than the others, but I think that's just availability!

If I'm in a "non-Irish" mood in the pub the Laga 16 is what I'd usually go for if it's available. Can't seem to find a beer that goes with it though, at least not like Guinness and Powers go together.

Totally agree here - so mood dependent. Plus, as someone else mentioned, Laga 16 was the whisky that really got me into scotch. It was the first one where i said: "WOW! Now I get this!"

Is it Arbeg? the Ten or the Oogie? Maybe it's Laphroaig (10, CS, QC, 15, etc.. - they are all excellent). Or perhaps the Laga 16 or the 12CS (I don't own the PX). Most restaurants with a half decent bar will have a bottle of Laga 16 as well, so it's a good one to love!

All of them are excellent and I think they are all worth owning if you can save up for them over time. I've recently been powering through Patrick O'Brian's books and nothing is better than Laga 12cs for this.

Knolly
Silver Member

Postby SteurNL » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:38 pm

im very new into whisky, but the first time i tried Laphroig 10 y, i did like it and i didn't at the same time. the smoke was what i liked, but the medicine taste i didn't like at all.

then i bought highland park 12 y and 18 y. not bad but not totally what i was after. however they were very easy to drink for me.

now after reading here i bought ardbeg 10 and lagavulin 16.
so far i only tried the ardbeg 10. the smoke and peat is there as well.
i like it more than Laphroig 10 years. but the aftertaste is still not perfect. i like it to be a bit sweeter. very strange but this bottle isn't easy to drink for me. 1 or 2 glasses, than im done. im not sure but i think its the salty? aftertaste that is just a bit too much for me.
anyway i dont think i will buy it again.

so i really hope lagavulin 16 y is what im after. i will soon give it a shot. you should try it as well :D
SteurNL

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:29 am

Welcome SteurNL let us know if you what you think of the Laga 16yo

Near the end of my Laga 16yo DE and eventhough I really enjoyed it seemed to tame up a little near the end of the bottle, I think the sherry takes over the smoke towards the end.

I'll stick to the regular 16yo :mrgreen: but would never knock the DE
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby SteurNL » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:45 am

so i had to try the lagavulin 16 years last night.
very different from laphroaig and adberg due to some sherry character. also i think its less peaty or peaty in a different way. i have yet to learn the right words to describe it. i find adberg very peaty instantly and with lagavulin it develops after a few seconds. i like lagavulin more overall. very comfortable to drink. more balanced for my taste. not medicinal at all.

i think i will buy this one again. first i want to try some more stuff thought to expand my experience :) as newbie.
SteurNL

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder