Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Mor

General chat and talk about whisky.

Ardbeg Mor

Postby Onefortheditch » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:33 pm

The latest bottling from Arbeg. A 4.5 litre bottle called Ardbeg Mor (Mor with a wee accent sign which I can't currently find means "big" in Scots garlic)....and beag, or something, means "small"...its all very confusing.

An excellently stupid idea....though it could be a bit tricky to pour after the first litre or so!!

And you can save your small change in the bottle when you've drunk the whisky....if small change still exists by then!!

A snip at £350.

:lol:
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:50 pm

Did somebody get their momentous minutes today as well?

Onefortheditch SSSSSSSSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :wink:

:D
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby RufusA » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:52 pm

Beat me to it - you must have got your Momentous [committee] Minutes in the post.

Is this one for collecting - or simply quaffing over a weekend with a group of friends. Hmmmm...

Or buy two, one to look at and one to really really enjoy!

However at an equivalent price of £54 / 70cl I hope it's not an indication of the pricing of the new Ardbeg 10. It's a fine whisky, but not IMHO £54 fine!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:00 pm

Rufus it would be interesting to know how busy the postman has been what is your rough location?

:)

Sorry rufus I can see it now I was a bit to quick then. :)
Last edited by les taylor on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
les taylor

Postby RufusA » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:05 pm

les taylor wrote:Rufus it would be interesting to know how busy the postman has been what is your rough location?

Me bad! - Profile updated, and a very busy postman by the looks of it, well mine was red faced!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:07 pm

Thanks Rufus I thought I was going mad there for a second. Are you going to get the big one?

les taylor

Postby Mustardhead » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:27 pm

At least it's going to be bottled at cask strength, so that does take a bit of sting off the £54 per 70cl price....but not all of the sting!
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Re: Ardbeg Mor

Postby Aidan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:57 pm

Onefortheditch wrote:The latest bottling from Arbeg. A 4.5 litre bottle called Ardbeg Mor (Mor with a wee accent sign which I can't currently find means "big" in Scots garlic)....and beag, or something, means "small"...its all very confusing.

Yes, and assuming Scots Gaelic is very close to Irish, "Ard" means tall or high. So it would be High-small Big.
Aidan

Postby killerwhale » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:08 am

4.5 litre bottle.... wow ... price is a lil high but would be fun to get one and have poker night with a bunch of people willing to polish it off :lol:
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:28 am

im actually dissapointed with ardbeg over this. my reading of the thing they sent is basicly saying that there will be no special committee bottle and no special feis ils bottles this year. although 50 of these will be on sale at the festival its not really the same....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:29 pm

Got my momentous moments too yestaerday...and my neighbour later told me Ardbeg 10 is on "special' at a hair over 20 quid at Waitrose. Now THAT'S what I call good news!!

I'd love to hear the wonderfully outspoken Richard at LFW's comments on this one! If this 10 YO CS really is the culmination of "Very Silly", "Still silly" etc. he'll have a field day!

Just hope the "Sensible " size is a sensible price...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:31 pm

RB its £350 plus P & P.

les taylor

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:10 pm

This is probably a pub bottle guys with bog standard 10yo whisky. Did somebody say Cask strength....

You often see 4.5 litre pub bottles eventhough the 1.5 litre pub bottle is more common. And if people start buying these as collectables well then :roll:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Onefortheditch » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:40 pm

Aidan wrote:
Onefortheditch wrote:The latest bottling from Arbeg. A 4.5 litre bottle called Ardbeg Mor (Mor with a wee accent sign which I can't currently find means "big" in Scots garlic)....and beag, or something, means "small"...its all very confusing.

Yes, and assuming Scots Gaelic is very close to Irish, "Ard" means tall or high. So it would be High-small Big.

According to one of the english-to-scots-garlic websites Ardbeg means "the small headland". So it would be "the small headland big", but "high-small big" sounds equally good to me!! :)
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:55 pm

In Gaelic Irish

Árd means high or a height

beg (also beag) means small

Mór means big

Also one does not directly translate the words in sequence.

There fore Ardbeg could be translated as a Small Height but small headland sounds about right.

put big into the equation and you Have

The Big small height

Ardbeg mór

simple really :lol:
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:08 am

Still hoping it'll mean the "big small price" when it's released proper,like...

£54 for 70cl is rather "mor " than Uigeadail or the "not quite there" younger siblings, after all...not to mention its neighbours, Lap CS, and even Lag 12.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:51 am

I was quite surprised to se the newsletter from Ardbeg in my post in Norway, the same day you guys got it in England.

That ais, I don't think the 4,5 litre bottle is such a good idea. That is way too big. I could have bought 5 normal bottles, but how long wouldn't it take me to finish off 4,5 litres of whisky? It would turn into vinegar before I got that far.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby kildalton » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:43 am

I got my copy as well.
I think it won't be easy to manage such a big bottle :D
Anyway if I have the chance I think i'll buy it and maybe I will never open it, just considering about a magnum for collection. :lol:
IMHO would have been nice to see an affordable limited edition bottling to
commemorate the event or even an official 1997 single cask bottling,
(it's likely they've very good young casks apart)but so it goes...
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby Scotchio » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:25 am

Should be Vorja mor, Russian for" my god" if I remember correctly
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:48 pm

In Norwegian, the word "mor" means "mother". As Islay is a lost Norwegian colony from back in the golden days (of the vikings), maybe that is what they are referring to? The mother of all Ardbegs?
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby r900p » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:25 am

Can't you only get this from the distillery, didn't think they'd try and post it out, poor Mr Parcelforce. I wonder if the bottle come with a fork lift truck!
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Leither » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:04 pm

r900p wrote:Can't you only get this from the distillery, didn't think they'd try and post it out, poor Mr Parcelforce. I wonder if the bottle come with a fork lift truck!

The 'minutes' state that 50 will be released at the festival and a further 350 (?) from usual Ardbeg stockists, so would assume LFW, RMW and Oddbins etc. You are right though, mail order would certainly be problematic and postal charges probably extortionate.

I'll stick to a couple of the Almost There instead, me thinks.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:59 pm

A little birdie tells me that they will deliver. Its equivalent to 6 bottle's my last delivery from LFW was 8 bottles with the normal delivery charge. It should not be a problem.

les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:03 pm

I got my Momentous Minutes! Haven't read it but hope to soon. Yes, this is quite a special bottling! Definitely one for a nice big celebration!!
Di Blasi

Postby Lawrence » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:56 am

It actually sounds like fun but I have to wonder if we Ardbeg fans will buy anything with an OB label on it.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Ardbeg Mor

Postby lwknigh » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:09 pm

Lawrence wrote:It actually sounds like fun but I have to wonder if we Ardbeg fans will buy anything with an OB label on it.

I agree with Lawrence,is this the start of "My bottle is bigger than your bottle"Ardbeg has done a masterful job of getting us to drink young imature whisky and saying how great it is,I think LVMH had leftover magnum bottles and some bright light at Ardbeg decides that they can move a lot of product and start an ad campaign with this release.If the Port Ellen sewage treatment plant bottled its end result in Ardbeg bottles people would be lined up to buy it.I hate to be manipulated but I'm such a fan of the brand.So I'll "just say no" to the Mor.Cheers
lwknigh

Postby hpulley » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:32 am

Lawrence wrote:It actually sounds like fun but I have to wonder if we Ardbeg fans will buy anything with an OB label on it.

At least one bottle ;) ...though these days I'm buying multiple cases of it without so much as a whiff or a sniff! So far Ardbeg has failed to disappoint me but it is possible that it will happen one day.

As for the Mor there is no chance I'd get any imported here.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby duckmcf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:04 am

I've been a big fan of Ardbeg since I stumbled on to the 17yo some years back. Fast forward to 2007 and my collection of various expressions is such that if I didn’t buy another bottle for ten years I’d still be right for a dram.

Be that as it may, I have to say that a 4.5 litre bottling is taking silliness to Clessian, “Silly-walk”, levels. Then after I crunched the numbers and calculated that it’s the equivalent of 54 quid per 700cl while the lads down the road at Laphroaig will do you a CS bottle for 30 quid, it dawned on me that they’re just taking the micky...

Still, given that it's a limited edition, it'll probably list on eBay for 400 quid the week after Ardbeg sells out.....
duckmcf

Postby parvus » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:11 am

lwknigh wrote:I agree with Lawrence,is this the start of "My bottle is bigger than your bottle"

No, it's the start of "lets celebrate our 10 year stint with a rather amusing, non-serious bottling for fun".

Ardbeg has done a masterful job of getting us to drink young imature whisky and saying how great it is

Last time I checked, people weren't forced to say they liked it. Have you tried other whisky as young as AVY that is as enjoyable, and holds as much promise? I haven't.

,I think LVMH had leftover magnum bottles and some bright light at Ardbeg decides that they can move a lot of product and start an ad campaign with this release.

And? What's wrong with that?

If the Port Ellen sewage treatment plant bottled its end result in Ardbeg bottles people would be lined up to buy it.I hate to be manipulated but I'm such a fan of the brand.So I'll "just say no" to the Mor.Cheers

The sewage remark is just plain offensive.

If you honestly think you are being manipulated or forced into purchasing a product, any product, I can only be thankful that you aren't buying a bottle of Mor, as I would question your ability to safely be around flamable liquids without supervision of some sort.

I've said it before, but I guess Ardbeg should be proud that their products evoke such strong feelings, whichever side of the fence you sit on.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:30 am

No need to flame; the man is entitled to his opinion of a product without you insulting him.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:41 am

Although I love the standard Ten I wouldn't mind a cask strength version of it - but not this humongous 4.5 litre bottle.
I don't think it's a cynical attempt aimed at the enthusiasts. It's perfectly alright to try and make money when running a business and the people behind Ardbeg are good at it. Thinning out the stocks makes sense and distilling whisky is nine parts industry and one part fairytale - not the other way around (in my opinion) . Same with Bruichladdich, there may be many expressions and limited editions around but that's alright as long as it's good business.
Mr Fjeld

Postby parvus » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:57 am

Drrich1965 wrote:No need to flame; the man is entitled to his opinion of a product without you insulting him.

Without resorting to a childish 'he started it', he did say that people would purchase processed sewerage if it was bottled by Ardbeg, that's pretty insulting.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:58 am

Just think of it, though...we all complain when we get down to the end of a bottle...but this one would take a couple of years to drain...or one helluva weekend party!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:59 am

I'm with you, Christian, and parvus' irritation reflects my own. Cheap cynicism always bugs me--it's too easy, and it spreads like footrot. Good on ya, mate, for challenging it.

I won't be buying a bottle of this, either, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Not everything is aimed at me.
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:49 am

parvus wrote:
Drrich1965 wrote:No need to flame; the man is entitled to his opinion of a product without you insulting him.

Without resorting to a childish 'he started it', he did say that people would purchase processed sewerage if it was bottled by Ardbeg, that's pretty insulting.

That sounded more metaphorical, to me. Regardless, its all good, lets talk whisky! :wink:
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder