Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

BRAEVAL PROVENANSE SUMME DISTILLATION 8 YEARS OLD

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Postby kljostad » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:36 am

After picking up the name on a thread I started yesterday, I found this one the list of whiskies at the norwegian Winemonopoly:

The price is around £50.

Should I buy it?
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:43 pm

SOunds expensive for a 8yo. Is this a closed distillery. LFW describe the distillery charachter as Sweet, light and creamy.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:45 pm

Curses!

Just got an e-mail back from the Winemonoply saying that they didn't have it in store anyway... :evil:
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:26 pm

sounds like youll have to spend the cash on a decent bottle instead :wink:
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:50 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:SOunds expensive for a 8yo. Is this a closed distillery. LFW describe the distillery charachter as Sweet, light and creamy.

Braeval is not closed as such, but it is mothballed and has been since october 2002. At the same time Allt-a-Bhainne was mothballed, but it has started production again in 2005. Since there is a growing demand for scotch whisky it will be interesting to see if and when they start production again at Braeval.

Acccording to "Malt Whisky Yearbook 2007" there are no official bottlings of Braeval, but a few independent one's:
Gordon & MacPhail CC 1975 and a Signatory 1974 are mentioned. And the Deerstalker 10yo is a Braeval too, whereas the 12 and 18 yo's are from Balmenach.

But apparently Douglas Laing has bottled an 8yo in their Provenance series. But at £50 I find that a bit expensive too. Maybe the price is higher due to the distillery being "closed" at the moment.

For comparison I paid just over £40 for a 12yo Allt-a-Bhainne from Cadenhead (Cask Strength 57.6%abv)

BTW: Royal Mile Whiskies has the three Braeval's mentioned above:
Deerstalker 10yo 46% at £21.99
G&M CC 1975 26yo 43% at £45.99
Signatory 1974 30yo 55.7% at £63.99
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/catego ... _id=D_BRAE
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby kljostad » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:42 am

Karlejnar, you have to remember that alcohol taxes ar WAY higher in Norway than in Denmark. I guess you could knock £10-£15 from the Norwegian price to get the price in Denmark.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby karlejnar » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:50 am

kljostad wrote:Karlejnar, you have to remember that alcohol taxes ar WAY higher in Norway than in Denmark.

You're quite right there. DK and Finland lowered their taxes 3years ago.
The tax here is in fact a little lower than in UK, so standard bottlings are cheaper here. However most of my purchases done in Scotland are more special bottlings, which gets more expensive here due to much lower quantities imported. And the fact that the special malts are mostly not imported under bond, so the danish tax and VAT comes on top of the UK ditto.

BTW the prices mentioned above are all UK prices. The Cad Allt-a-Bhainne was bought in Cadenhead's shop in Edinburgh.

I prefer to buy when over on our yearly summer trip. I don't want to bother with ordering by post since I have a poor "rate" of bottles slipping past the customs :wink:
When I order a bottle online I always tell them to store it untill I'm there to collect it.

Back on the subject - I doubt if I would be able to find a bottle of either Allt-a-Bhainne or Braeval in Denmark anyway :roll:

<start of rant>
The EU membership was supposed to make it easier for goods to travel across "borders" inside EU. But recent ruling has made it even more difficult and bureaucratic since the seller is responsible for paying the tax in the buyers country of living. The best solution would be to have even tax and VAT all over EU, but I doubt that is likely to happen anytime soon.
So much for a "common market" :roll:
<end of rant>
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Scotchio » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:20 am

Deerstalker Braeval 10 is a great prototypical (if there is such a thing) aperitif style speysider. Very drinkable and at around £20 a pop very good value
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:14 pm

Myh one and only contact with the distillery, aslo know as Breas of Glenlivet.

87 Sm Braes of Glenlivet Vintage 1979 (43%, Signatory, 18 years in sherry, Butt 9292, 50ml #1058) The color is a deep amber. The malt is not leggy, the liquid moves quickly to the bottom of the glass when swirled. The nose has a lovely balance between the malt and sweet sherry. Really a fantastic nose. This demands that I put the computer down and take it in before I taste. Mouth: Very nice, enjoyable malt. What am I getting here though, a bit hard to put this one into words. Ok, after a few minutes, another nosing. Very, very malty this time. Nice! A sweet gentle malt, I like this. The taste is gentle, malty and sweet, not the most complex malt, but one that really speaks to quality. This is the kind of malt that helps me understand the proponents of Highland and Speyside malts who argue against high peat levels, stating that it masks the sweetness of the malt.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:33 pm

i seen the deerstalker today at dobies at dalkeith at £19 bottle, i was tempted...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:38 pm

Buy it, you wont regret it.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Re: BRAEVAL PROVENANSE SUMME DISTILLATION 8 YEARS OLD

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:34 pm

kljostad wrote:After picking up the name on a thread I started yesterday, I found this one the list of whiskies at the norwegian Winemonopoly:

The price is around £50.

Should I buy it?

If it is the bottling we had in Dufftown, then it would have been worth buying.

http://www.dufftown.co.uk/autumn_speysi ... 202005.htm
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder